Mucha Standard SZD-22C - PZW 1/72

It's a glider. I didn't know either. Another kind donation from Phil ( @HP42 ) and, hopefully, a nice rest after all the rigging I've been messing with of late.

When Phil sent me this it was immediately endearing:

34018928394_f2d1b2cd07_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

A single sprue with just a bit of flash but otherwise nicely moulded parts:

34861931955_873c5f97e6_z.jpg

Sadly the transfers have not lasted well (it's a 1984 kit):

34475546850_5f41d6e844_z.jpg

so I've spent quite a while scanning the 'net for images and now have a cleaned up version that will do, I hope. There seem to be some faults on the canopy:

34051943363_0e80e20730_z.jpg

now cleaned off with Micro-mesh:

34822339556_9edca65c4d_z.jpg

and dipped in Aqua Gloss, now drying. The parts have been separated and cleaned up:

34862386685_5fea09ce28_z.jpg

so I thought I'd better post this before it goes much further.

There isn't much on the internet about this mark but I do have some reference shots, including the internals, from this site.

I now need to decide how hard to make this for myself (fnaar!) - simple interior or scratch some bits? I also need to decide on a colour scheme but it will be mainly white, maybe with some red bits.

• Like 13

Nice little kit CedB.

I certainly think you should "scratch your bits". Maybe after you've finished "fondling"  the resin.

Scratching some bits might help with inspiration, and getthe creative "juices" flowing. Although I wouldn't like to see you make it too "hard"! 

Fnarr fnarr!

Matt

• Like 5

There he goes :frantic: I reckon this build can range from "very relaxing" to "Aaaargh! What did I do?" according to what you choose to scratch.... :coolio::popcorn:

Ciao

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CedB said:

mainly white, maybe with some red bits.

Sounds like me on holiday... or is it the other way around??

Where there's an itch, you just have to scratch!

• Like 4

Hi Ced,

this takes me back eons ago when I had my bum in a glider every time I had half a day free...

Then, the canopies of some of these kites were not much better than what you found in the kit... We were pretty much blind when the sun was in front of us... Clear had not been invented yet!

This should be a quick build!

Have fun!

JR

• Like 3

Hello Ced, yes it should be a quick one, if it fits. I would scratch a bit. Depends on the canopy. There is not so  much in a glider cockpit, I guess. (But you could upgrade it with some machine guns or so.:whistle:)

Edited by bbudde
  • Like 3

Wow, a crowd already! Welcome everyone :) 

Hi Matt - score five (crikey) fnaar fnaar!

Hi Martin - tiny little thing (the model that is!)

Hi Giorgio - I'm holding out for 'very relaxing' but then I've said that before :) 

Hi Steve - scratch, maybe, I thought (see below)

Hi Leon - sunscreen, that's the secret. Oh, and a handkerchief on your head, goes without saying :) 

Hi Nigel - enter a competition? Me? I never win anything.

Hi Simon - sorry it's not a Spitfire.

Hi JR - quick build I hope, if I don't slow myself down too much doing research on impossible scratch building. Oh wait, too late...

Hi Benedikt - another vote for scratching (although I don't think guns would fit in this tiny thing.

I know you know I spend too much time on internals that will never be seen on the ceiling and that I like to have the models 'crewed'.

None of my figures fit, not even the skinny ones:

34056218673_4b9d56b036_z.jpg

Untitled by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

Rats.

Not to be deterred I researched the internals and painted the cockpit black satin, grey seat and flat black for the panel:

34480153980_822cc8f850_z.jpg

I then carefully selected some appropriate Mike Grant dial decals and stuck them in the appropriate positions on the panel:

34703925902_e502fd5673_z.jpg

There - look, six of them, in the right order and everything! Oh I give up. Internals will not be scratched, sorry, she's closed up now:

34057228263_8b0a1d4469_z.jpg

Out tonight to my favourite restaurant as a treat (it's my birthday soon). I LOVE this place - Gordon is an artist; no menus, you get what's best in the market that day.

I shall probably have the wine flight (ha ha ha!) so I may be a little subdued in the morning.

• Like 10

34 minutes ago, CedB said:

Hi Simon - sorry it's not a Spitfire.

Apology accepted.

BTW. Would one your passengers fit? Whenever I've been gliding I didn't wear a Mae West.

• Like 3

Hi again Ced,

for a second I thought you were going to cram all these figures in the glider, like assault glider incognito to land and free Mussolini... Stuff nightmares are made of!

JR

• Like 3

Looks like you're treating yourself very well for your coming birthday, Ced! :thumbsup:

This "no menu" thing is very intriguing; I had one of the best dinners ever in a place like that  (all seafood, BTW)

Ps: glad you went for the relaxing way, this is going to be completed in no time

Ciao

• Like 1

Strewth Ced, I was looking for you all over the place and here you are soaring the thermals. The box art for this one is most endearing, like you're about to build a fairytale. Good luck!

Tony

PS. Have a lovely meal!:D

• Like 2

Puff, pant, wheeze, cough....just saw the link on your Moth thread Ced so ran, errr, stumbled, straight over....

Is it finished yet?!

Have to admit I've never even 'eard of one of these fings...

Keith

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Beard said:

Apology accepted.

BTW. Would one your passengers fit? Whenever I've been gliding I didn't wear a Mae West.

Hi Simon,

but you must have been wearing a parachute??? I am 6' 2" and some gliders were a hell of a tight fit, fully equipped. Shoe horn required.

JR

• Like 3

I built this one way back in 198(mumble) when the local hobby shop somehow obtained several kits in this range. I think that I still have it stowed away somewhere. As I recall, I replaced the seat with one made from plastic card sanded to shape because the seat in my kit suffered from massive mould misallignment.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, CedB said:

Out tonight to my favourite restaurant as a treat (it's my birthday soon). I LOVE this place - Gordon is an artist; no menus, you get what's best in the market that day.

I shall probably have the wine flight (ha ha ha!) so I may be a little subdued in the morning.

Ced,

scratch building in 1/72.

Food.

Are you sure you aren't really Nigel Heath in disguise :whistle:

• Like 3

44 minutes ago, jean said:

Hi Simon,

but you must have been wearing a parachute??? I am 6' 2" and some gliders were a hell of a tight fit, fully equipped. Shoe horn required.

JR

All the extra equipment I took was a bottle of Merrydown.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Beard said:

Apology accepted.

Thanks Simon. Damned good idea...

34063169613_298c51b528_z.jpg

Some of these are stuck together again. Up to no good no doubt. I dread to think what the sticky stuff is... hopefully just oyster sauce from the kids worker's lunch. this lady fits but I don't think gliding is the first thing on her mind:

34833965436_21d03d2e82_z.jpg

Sadly 'lady with the big boobies' / 'man with binoculars' is too big as well:

34833990426_1e52bf74b7_z.jpg

Not the best example of face painting I've seen. Ho hum, pilotless it is.

6 hours ago, jean said:

Hi again Ced,

for a second I thought you were going to cram all these figures in the glider, like assault glider incognito to land and free Mussolini... Stuff nightmares are made of!

JR

Aha, that would have been a plan JR but sadly there's not enough room for one!

6 hours ago, GrzeM said:

Hi!

It's a lovely glider and not bad kit!

Here you have some drawings:

[snip picture]

Thanks GrzeM, great drawing - I'll save that for later.

5 hours ago, giemme said:

Looks like you're treating yourself very well for your coming birthday, Ced! :thumbsup:

This "no menu" thing is very intriguing; I had one of the best dinners ever in a place like that  (all seafood, BTW)

Ps: glad you went for the relaxing way, this is going to be completed in no time

Ciao

Thanks Giorgio. It was amazing as always. They now give you a menu after the meal, which is nice. Now, I'm a meat and two veg man (snurf titter) like most but I also love this sort of stuff:

34742199931_b142a254da_z.jpg

Nom nom nom by Ced Bufton, on Flickr

The test tubes have flavoured oil in them to go with the special bread. Chocolate and cumin - delicious with the 'Christmas tree' oil. I don't think it tasted like a Christmas tree but it gave you the feeling that it might.

Sweetcorn sorbet and lemon grass jelly for pud #1 (as we plebs call it). There was also 'oyster grass' on top which looked a bit like samphire but tasted of Oysters. Gordon tells me he gets it from Holland from a Dutchman that he thinks may be into other sorts of weed in a big way.

Anyway, sorry to tease your taste buds. Better start another post after that big picture.

• Like 8