P-47D - 30 Thunderbolt

Starfighter

Hi Everyone,

I have the Revell 1/72 P-47D Thunderbolt to build, and I'm a bit unsure of the suggested colours, so I thought someone more knowledgeable than me might be able to help ? The areas I'm interested in are the wheel bays and doors, and also the interior of the engine cowling. Revell suggest these are all interior green, but I'm sure i read somewhere that the cockpit was a dark green, similar to FS34092 ?

If anyone can help I'd be eternally grateful.  :cheers:

Well bays and doors are Zinc Chromate, that's the untinted yellow one. The inside of the cowlings I believe was NMF.

By the D-30 the cockpit was most likely Dark Dull Green, or there about. At some point it was changed from Tinted Zinc Chromate (and originally ZC).

Edited by Tbolt

As described by Tbolt and in the IPMS Stockholm reference, cockpit would be in dull dark green; wheel bays,  inside surface of gear doors, and wing flap wells would be untinted zinc chromate, which is the yellow one; one thing to watch out for- cockpit floorboards on P-47's through the D-25 were corrugated; beginning with the D26 they were smooth; this would also apply to the P-47M and P-47N. I don't recall which floorboard comes in the Revell  P-47D-30 kit. Interior of the engine cowling was anodized aluminum, so would have a dull silver appearance.

Mike

• Like 2

17 hours ago, 72modeler said:

As described by Tbolt and in the IPMS Stockholm reference, cockpit would be in dull dark green; wheel bays,  inside surface of gear doors, and wing flap wells would be untinted zinc chromate, which is the yellow one; one thing to watch out for- cockpit floorboards on P-47's through the D-25 were corrugated; beginning with the D26 they were smooth; this would also apply to the P-47M and P-47N. I don't recall which floorboard comes in the Revell  P-47D-30 kit. Interior of the engine cowling was anodized aluminum, so would have a dull silver appearance.

Mike

The Revell kit comes only with the smooth floor.

That's correct, Tbolt. You chaps have been very helpful with your info. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my request. Now if anyone wants info on F-100's or f-104's  . . .   :cheers:

• Like 1