Yet another Jaguar - Hasegawa 1/72

Hi All,

Although I've got a few other builds already under way, I think I've still got time for a cheeky Jaguar.

34003333364_c6552c6a09_b.jpg

34845856405_61f2215f40_b.jpg

34845854205_37d6acbaf1_b.jpg

34806581296_f44da9d766_b.jpg

I seem to remember building this when it first came out in the early '80's, and at the time it was pretty much state of the art.  Not so much these days but it's still looking quite acceptable.

I got the photo-etch mainly for the replacement airbrakes - the kit ones have raised bumps instead of slots, totally wrong. The other thing that's really annoying me is the colour tone of the RAF roundels - they're far too washed out and light and I don't have replacements at the right size and don't really want to buy decals just for that.  Oh yeah, and the final gripe is the lack of drop tanks in the box.  Apart from that it's all good!

Dave.

• Like 3

Hi All,

Here's the first update:-

Got all the big bits together.

34095938303_2cf60a7928_b.jpg

cut-out the V shape on those blade aerials - the rudder will work better that way!

34095939913_2601c40700_b.jpg

opened up the wheel well - now the undercarriage can be raised!

34063751854_4c02ba4a3c_b.jpg

So, 16 days to go - should be OK.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi All

Got the grey on.

34860157361_d61a64a5ea_b.jpg

I'm experimenting with airbrushing Humbrol enamels on this one.  So far it's swings and roundabouts, it takes longer to dry and is quite smelly.  but the finish is smoother and hopefully when dry will be more durable.

Dave. 

• Like 2

Hi All,

Here's some pictures of a weird looking, sticky mess.

34202901833_b1ae980897_b.jpg

34849914502_e32e7474cc_b.jpg

35013735855_9e55503a61_b.jpg

34849918562_12f0e4b19a_b.jpg

I started out intending to mask the grey with blu-tack worms, but they wouldn't stick at all and with the Jaguar being a small angular shape I gave up and switched to Maskol.  I've never tried using Maskol to this extent and I don't know how it's going to look.  It'll be hard edged for sure, but for me getting the right amount of over-spray in 1/72nd is very tricky and I think that a hard-edge is preferable to too much over-spray.  I might have a go at free hand airbrushing the edges - but I'm not too optimistic about that.

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R
  • Like 2

Nice work, quick too. Will be interesting to see how the maskol works out - fingers crossed it behaves well, I can't see why it wouldn't to be honest.

• Like 1

Hi All,

OK, so I cracked and made the trek across London to a well known retailer near the RAF Museum and picked up these.  (along with a few additions to the stash - naturally).

34258507603_07f80308b6_b.jpg 

35069456875_97ba9a9869_b.jpg

I couldn't tolerate the faded red and blue of the Hasegawa roundels - they had to go.  The lack of drop tanks - or anything else that could realistically be put on the inner pylons was something I had to put right too.

Hmm..... so much for what was supposed a quick OTB build.

Dave.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Jabba said:

And you call this slow, I would hate to see you do a quick build. I agree that the fuel tanks are a must. Keep up this very good work.

cheers, :D.

...and you haven't seen what I had to do to the airbrakes and undercarriage yet!

Actually I've got more spare time at the moment than I thought I would - work stuff you know! :shrug:

Dave.

Hi All,

Here's how it looked it looked after removing the Maskol.

34729394330_872c62b439_b.jpg

35076312396_37b143e496_b.jpg

I didn't like the way the edges looked - ragged,  so I rubbed down the paint edges with a tooth pick and put on a coat of Humbrol Clear.  A bit better.....maybe.  But currently I'm calling the results of the experiment with Maskol and enamels as disappointing - it's all about learning innit.

34305914573_2e0211db25_b.jpg

34305916983_1903a3e1f0_b.jpg

There's a lot of areas where the paint needs touching up.

This the state of play with the rest of it.

34305919923_e196e8fcea_b.jpg

I've modified original kit airbrakes and used them on the inner side of the PE ones. It approximately resembles the way it should look.  I've also cut-out the inside of the nose-wheel leg, which was solid and wrong.  

It's just occurred to me that I haven't put any weight in the nose :oops:- must check that it won't be a tail-sitter. 

And I'm almost certainly not using the Rocket Pods - I haven't found a single photo showing a Jaguar carrying them.  I expect they were test flown on Jaguars and were in the inventory,  but so far no evidence that they were ever used.  So the outer pylons will be empty and will need a little modification.

So.... six days to go :frantic:.

Dave.

• Like 1

On maandag 5 juni 2017 at 5:51 PM, Dave_R said:

So the outer pylons will be empty and will need a little modification.

Nice progress, gotta love a Jag.

Could I send an AN/ALQ-101 your way?, her port outboard pylon looks awefully lonely without one.

Cheers,

Andre

Hi Andre,

That's a very generous offer and you're quite right a jamming pod would be just right - Britmodellers are a nice group of people.

PM on the way.

Thanks very much.

Dave.

14 hours ago, Dave_R said:

Hi All,

This is a spot the difference puzzle.  

There are ten visible differences here - can you spot them?

Ummm, RWR on the tail painted, gun cowling gone red, nose gear door, aerials on heat exchanger painted yellow.... erm..... centreline pylon and BL755s.... thats all I think I see.

As for rocket pods, there are photos out there, but not a lot. Other nations used them on Jags, but suspect youre right re them not really being used by the RAF as a rule, possibly due to the Jags general lack of altitude..? :) (Pre the Iraq affair anyway)

Matra pod here fitted for some trials perhaps?

jag%20rockets.jpg

Hi,

OK, you got 'em all :thumbsup:.

I was being a bit cheeky counting each dab of paint and the yellow band on the BL755s and both of them.

Interesting picture, found a couple of pics of Indian Jags with them but didn't find that one. 

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi All,

I've now got the airbrakes on and a few decals.

34389011143_204cb9d45b_b.jpg

I've got to make an effort to get all the decals done tomorrow to leave time for painting a few more details, getting a of coat Micro-flat on and having go at bit of weathering.

Dave.

• Like 2

Hi All,

All of the decals are on now and a few more details painted.

35051672282_569de71172_b.jpg

There's been quite a problem with the decals slivering, it's not quite sorted out - but I think I should leave it a few hours and see if it improves.  So tonight I'll try and finish the painting, and then tomorrow airbrush it with Micro-Flat, do some weathering and then that's it.  Oh yeah and put the pitot back on - it lasted about two hours before I broke it off.

Dave.

• Like 1

Hi Andre,

Yes, thank you.  They arrived - but after the gallery pics deadline on Sunday.  They do look really good and I shall definitely adding them to the Jag soon.

Thanks,

Dave.

Edited by Dave_R