Jagdpanzer and Aufklärungspanzer E-10

My last build was of a pair of 1/72 Jagdpanzer E-25 tanks, for my next I'm staying with the Entwicklung Paper Panzers but I'm moving up to 1/35 scale with Trumpeter's Jagdpanzer E-10. I'm also venturing into the world of scratch building with a what-if Aufklärungspanzer E-10.

For more information about Trumpeter's Jagdpanzer E-10 you can find a review on Armorama here.

E10_Hetzer2.JPG

As for the Aufklärungspanzer E-10 I'll be using another Trumpeter Jagdpanzer E-10 kit as a base but replacing the hull mounted gun with a new scratch built upper hull and turret in a similar layout as the diagram below.

post-9197093-0-70316000-1388338706.jpg

I started with the Jagdpanzer E-10 which will mainly be made OOB with the addition of Trumpeter's workable tracks and a RB Models metal barrel. There are several builds of this tank on this forum already so I wont bother going step by step, but mainly because it went together really fast & I forgot to take pictures :P

e10_01_zpser92qiu4.jpg  

e10_02_zpsidva8b7c.jpg

e10_03_zpsxkrotc1w.jpg

The top went together rather quickly, only a few hatches a grills to add. I replaced the plastic grab handles with some metal wire, which I took half a day rummaging through the garage trying to find something suitable.

e10_06_zpsayqxvscb.jpg

I replaced the plastic tow cables with some electrical wire that was first striped out of its insulation. Then I attached one end to a clamp & the other to a drill, the drill was then used to twist the wire together. New fasteners where then (badly) made from scrap PE.  

e10_05_zpsxomahx30.jpg

e10_04_zpspl7oudmj.jpg

This is my first time building workable tracks and it seams a bit overkill on this kit considering it comes with four different sets of tracks in the box (early/late wrap-around & individual link). I enjoyed making them once I got into a groove & even though they are more complex then the tracks that come with the kit I feel they will be a lot easier to use in the long run.

e10_07_zpsqbg1qyeo.jpg

Both tracks are done but I had a slight disaster when I knocked over and spilt my brand new Tamiya thin glue that I got specificity for making these tracks, luckily I didn't get any on the model but it ate the markings off my cutting board >.<

e10_08_zpsroapgd7m.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

Looks like painting is soon. 

You was very lucky with this glue. Good idea with the holder for the jar. I probably need to do something to my paint mixing pots, as I occasionally tip them over as well. And usually it happens with the complicate mix. 

It wasn't the first time, nor will it be the last time I've spill something volatile! I'm a big fan of Vallejo paints for this reason, their eyedropper bottles have survived my clumsiness on several occasions.

Yep I started painting today and made my first attempt at pre-shading. I really should have properly cleaned my airbrush before I started tho, it was unevenly coughing up paint resulting in a bit of a mess. A good clean & then a coat of Dunkelgelb fixed that tho :P

While I was waiting for the paint to dry I started on the turret for the Aufklärungspanzer. I bought an Italeri Puma kit with the intention of using it's turret for this build, once I got my hands on the Puma though I thought it would be a bit of a waste. So instead I decided to scratch build a new one using the Puma turret as a template.

pe10_01_zps1fyupv52.jpg

Of course none of the parts fitted perfectly but that's why we have filler!

pe10_02_zpspu40od0i.jpg

• Like 1

I've made some progress with both models.

After several days of filling and sanding and sanding and filling, the turret is done and ready for detailing. I added panel/weld lines which ended up removing a lot of the filling! As unwittingly the plastic card I used was the correct scale for the armour thickness :P I also glued several large plastic washers together to form a "turret ring" so I can make it rotate once fitted to the hull. Lastly I made clones of the Puma kit's gun mantlet and mount using Blue Stuff (the big cube at the top) and Milliput. It took several attempts (still learning how to use this stuff) but the great thing about Blue Stuff is you can reuse it over and over again. While cleaning up and drilling the holes for the mantlet a bit broke off, some super glue and Mr Surfacer fixed it back up tho. The original Puma kit parts are on the right BTW.

pe10_03_zpsnnxfpohi.jpg

I also finished giving the Jagdpanzer it's base coat of Vallejo Dunkelgelb, well nearly as I forgot about the MG mount! I'll paint that by hand later. The tracks where also painted with AK's track primer. Also of note is that I decided to only fit one of the two tow cables. The other will be saved for the Aufklärungspanzer and a German cross added to the side of the Jagdpanzer in it's place.

e10_09_zps6luadn7z.jpg

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 1

I'm still undecided on what camouflage pattern to put on the Jagdpanzer E-10, so many to pick from! So I've been concentrating on the turret for the Aufklärungspanzer, putting together the mantlet along with a metal barrel from RB models. I also scratch built some smoke grenade launchers, which were extremely fiddly & impossible to line up correctly. If I have to make a set of them again in the future I might get a after market photo-etch set instead :wacko: There is meant to be a pair of lifting hooks on the front of the turret, I wasn't brave enough to attempt carving a 0.2m hook into a 0.5m bracket so Instead I used some wire to make "grab handles" in their place. Also nothing says what-if Panzer like some infra-red night fighting equipment so I nicked some off a Trumpeter E-100 kit that wont be needing it.

pe10_04_zpswk5wrmkg.jpg

With work on the turret progressing well I decided to start on the hull. The top will need to be extended by 2.5cm to make enough room for the turret. This will mainly be achieved by changing the angles of the front & rear plates, the front one becoming steeper & the rear being inverted so it angles outwards like a Panther/Kingtiger. So I did some surgery cutting along panel & hatch lines, the entire front part will probably have to be replaced but I'll try to salvage as much of it as I can.

pe10_05_zpskfxeulcw.jpg

Lastly here is a quick fit of the turret & hull to give an idea of what I'm aiming for.

pe10_06_zpsxm3opk7g.jpg

Next up is the turret roof hatches (bits of which can be seen in the background), I'm also thinking about adding a "Rommelkiste" storage box on the back of the turret & brackets for spare tracks to the sides. I also have an Idea for adding a launching rail for X-7 anti-tank missiles to the turret. I'll leave it till last though & see how it looks as the turret may start to look a bit to crowded with everything I plan to add.    

Edited by Mig Eater
  • Like 2

I started on the upper hull plate, cutting out holes for the turret ring & front hatches. I also nicked some hatches from an E-50 kit that will be converted to a Jagdpanzer so wont need them.

pe10_07_zpsk5a7im8x.jpg

pe10_08_zpsibuxwx0r.jpg