Tornado GR4 1/32 Decal Question

lowlevelraf

Hi All,

Have picked up a Revell German Tornado ECR 1/32 kit, I'm wishing to do a basic convert to an RAF GR4.

I have got my eye on and wanted for the LRMTS and FLIR Nose pods to come back on Relish Models, due to Back in Stock Shortly status. I'm also on the look out for the 1/32 Sky Shadow pod or a unused Boz pod from another kit. Alos, might get the paragon cockpit set, update it to include the WSO TARDIS Display. However, I'm just wondering what to do for the decals. I know the only full set of markings out there are the Op Telic ones, however I was looking to do a current MSG GR4, not sure whether or not to do Squadron markings or not, witha  training fit. However, also tempted with a Op Herrick or Shader bird. Anybody aware or any other decals that were done? I have spent time on google etc to try find out, before posting here, but no luck yet.

Trouble is, even if I got the GR1 boxing with the Hindenburg tanks, plus the LRMTS and Skyshadow from the kit, the RAF decals are for the GR1 not GR4, so out of date.

I have seen Iterlia are releasing a GR4 1/32 kit soon, but still would like to use the kit I have now.

Thanks for any help :)

Matt

I think you may wait a while for the FLIR to be back in stock at Relish, it's been due 'back in stock shortly' for a couple of years I think.

A couple of suggestions that might help.

Last year I needed a 1/48 Tornado FLIR for a project I was working on and made it by building up rectangles of plastic card into a block of the right length /height / width , razor sawing this to roughly the shape needed , sanding to the curved contours of the original and then building up the front face with thin slices of plastic card to create the sensor window.     It is actually very simple to do and if you wanted to give it a try I could dig out my original research and work out the starting size for making one in 1/32 scale.

As regards squadron markings , over the past few years fewer and fewer aircraft have carried any but back when the overall Medium Sea Grey colour scheme was introduced aircraft tended to carry the same squadron markings as had been carried in the previous Dark Sea Grey/ Dark Camouflage Grey colour scheme which in turn were often but not always smaller versions of those carried in the wraparound Dark Green/Dark Sea Grey colour scheme only now intended to be painted across a single panel on the aircraft forward fuselage or tail.     Obviously this will not apply to every aircraft on every squadron but not long after the two-tone grey scheme was introduced I found that the decals intended for a 14 Squadron 1/72 Green/Grey Tornado GR.1 fitted exactly as carried on a 1/48 two-tone grey Tornado GR.4 so you might find an answer by experimenting with suitable 1/48 decals for Green/Grey aircraft on an overall Medium Sea Grey 1/32 scale one.

I'm in the same position, all the bits n pieces to build it as a GR.4 but there is just no aftermarket decals for recent aircraft. I think there was an Xtradecal sheet for one of the specials a while back but it's like hens teeth these days. I'd settle for a sheet of stencil markings with maybe one special and a line jet if anyone out there is up to producing some? 12 and 31 Sqn?

Eng

Hopefully some new decals will be released for upcoming Italeri kit. I too have all the bits, I bought an AM set of GR1 decals (might be the ones Eng mentions above) for it that would be suitable for a GR4 but then you have the problem of the stencils.

Muzz 

• Like 1