Which wash is best over enamels ?

Merlin

Hi,

Normally I gloss coat with acrylic, let dry thoroughly then mix up an oil paint from tube (W&N or Abteilung) with odourless thinners.

Mixed results by the way, sometimes the faded effect of the meniscus vanishes leaving just black pigment in the crease of the item, sometimes even that sems to shrink to give gaps in it.

However this time I have an enamel painted item with its various details and need to get a wash to run into the details gulleys, acrylic varnishing the item is not an option as its big with items glued on now, and would mean a load more work and anyway I have it in the surface finish I desire already., including buffed metallics, I am not masking off the parts all over again !

Which wash would give best results, flow well, give graduated edges to the dried wash, etc. What additives should it have, if any ?

Merlin

For cockpits l use a mixture of 50/50 future floor care and water with a couple of drops of tamiya black. It works on both acrylics and enamels 

• Like 1

Hi,

I have Johnsons Klear floor shine, is that same as future floor care, its what we use on gloss coating models, though now a collectors item seeling for big money.

Merlin

l use those too but for the cockpit areas l like the wash l make as it darkens the paint giving it that dirty used look