1/72nd Revell (SH) A-20G- 22 Sqn RAAF, 1944

Hiya Folks,

I`ve fancied doing a 22 Sqn RAAF A-20G Havoc for a while to go with my Boston Mk.III and a post by Syd here on BM a week or so ago prompted me to do something about it!  By combining the Revell Boston Mk.V/ A-20J kit (Special Hobby parts) with the late gun nose left over  from a Revell P-70 kit (again Special Hobby parts)  I came up with an A-20G and with decals from the spares box (roundels/fin flashes), Xtradecal (white codes) and Ventura (Grey serials). 

Here is my WIP with photos of the real thing;

And here is the model;

DSCF0472DSCF0471DSCF0480DSCF0484DSCF0491DSCF0469DSCF0470

Yes it did end up being a tailsitter,......I didn`t think that the undercarriage was strong enough to handle the weight required. As usual it was brush painted,....using a mixture of Humbrol enamel (155- Olive Drab) and Polly Scale acrylic (US Neutral Grey) (US Dark Green,...representing the Mid Green `blotches') and Humbrol enamel black, yellow, silver etc.

Thanks again to Syd for his help with info for this model,

Cheers

Tony

PS- I`ve only just managed to post this,.... here is the A-20G with an earlier aircraft from 22 Sqn, in this case replicated by the 1/72nd High Planes Boston III. 

DSCF0496

Edited by tonyot
  • Like 31

Hi Tony

Hope you are well.  I have been busy with the loft conversion so have not been on for quite a while.  I am sorry for that, but there are not enough hours in a day.  This is another cracker from the TOT stable looks absolutely fab.  Will hopefully try and get on a bit more now the bulk of the upstairs is done. 

Take care and all the best
Chris 

• Like 1

A really great Havoc you built there Tony.

It's a pleasure to look at it.

Mine (1/48 Italeri ) is waiting in the stash to be built.

It's also the model with a plain nose, without any glasings.

Great job !!!

:goodjob::wow:

• Like 1

Very nice result, as expected from you. 

Among my almost 400 models standing on the shelvs a one of the five the most old ones is Airfix Boston done in desert painting scheme from Revell box somwhere around ... well, 1973 or even '72.  The Revell decals (US stars over UK roundels) I've got it from some friend I think. This is in US Pink patches - I used Airfix no 7,  over DK Green/DK Earth UK standard scheme - i used Airfix No 3/No 5. Funny that I remember numbers of colours by  Airfix, which do not existst for so long now.  And this is my only one Boston so far done. I took it out  from shelf today and looked (and wash a bit) - it is so different in detail shapes to SH/Revell that looks like a model of copletly another machine. That is perhaps shame, but wrong shapes of Airfix Boston done when I was so young became a kind of reference shapes for this machine, so I have difficulty with accepting the proper one and SH model looks strange to me.... As a therapy I should build some SH Bostons - I think I have 3 of them in stash...  Those are my thoughts while I am watching yours excellent series of  A 20 s :)  . BTW - do you have such desert A 20?

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

• Like 2

Thanks everybody,...glad you like it.

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Hi Tony

Hope you are well.  I have been busy with the loft conversion so have not been on for quite a while.  I am sorry for that, but there are not enough hours in a day.  This is another cracker from the TOT stable looks absolutely fab.  Will hopefully try and get on a bit more now the bulk of the upstairs is done. 

Take care and all the best
Chris 

Good luck with the loft Chris,.....been there a long time ago! 

1 hour ago, polo1112 said:

A really great Havoc you built there Tony.

It's a pleasure to look at it.

Mine (1/48 Italeri ) is waiting in the stash to be built.

It's also the model with a plain nose, without any glasings.

Great job !!!

:goodjob::wow:

Good luck with your Polo.

49 minutes ago, JWM said:

Very nice result, as expected from you. 

Among my almost 400 models standing on the shelvs a one of the five the most old ones is Airfix Boston done in desert painting scheme from Revell box somwhere around ... well, 1973 or even '72.  The Revell decals (US stars over UK roundels) I've got it from some friend I think. This is in US Pink patches - I used Airfix no 7,  over DK Green/DK Earth UK standard scheme - i used Airfix No 3/No 5. Funny that I remember numbers of colours by  Airfix, which do not existst for so long now.  And this is my only one Boston so far done. I took it out  from shelf today and looked (and wash a bit) - it is so different in detail shapes to SH/Revell that looks like a model of copletly another machine. That is perhaps shame, but wrong shapes of Airfix Boston done when I was so young became a kind of reference shapes for this machine, so I have difficulty with accepting the proper one and SH model looks strange to me.... As a therapy I should build some SH Bostons - I think I have 3 of them in stash...  Those are my thoughts while I am watching yours excellent series of  A 20 s :)  . BTW - do you have such desert A 20?

Best regards

Jerzy-Wojtek

I know what you mean Jerzy,..... the early Revell and Airfix Boston/Havocs were strangely shaped weren`t they and I know what you mean about being wary of anything that looks different. I did have an A-20 in that USAAF scheme many moons ago but it is long gone now.

Cheers,

Tony 

• Like 1

That looks terrific.  I particularly like the faded fabric finish on the ailerons.  The latest Aeroplane Monthly has a database on the A-20 which has rather inspired me to build one (or two).

• Like 1