Fokker E.III Stripdown, Eduard 1/72

After discussion about the potentiality of 3D printing for those stripdowns in my Fokker Dr.I stripdown thread (and Grzegorz showed a 3D Fokker Eindecker) this is a good point to show my Fokker E.III stripdown in 1/72.

It was mainly out of the box, but I replaced the bars with a brass profile and scratched a gear with help of brass rods. The painting was done with Gunze, Alclads and oils.

The best on this model are the white bands to suppress vibrations, made with a third of dental floss (after trying a lot of different materials). At that point the rigging (also inside the wings!) was already done so it was more tricky.

The Fokker was done two years ago, but I still really like that little Eindecker!

Have fun,

Frank

t-PC6SrJhVqC4Bp9aQ8HyNVHWFQuxuqIyu2pkIu8

nJuF1MJ3AORhhNp-jzhwsTy9s0ITD90I2FNIjkKe

T1P8AvFUZ-PpLLn5xZS1y5j6Q5H1wWgVXvKkXrz9

3FhsS2BdyK9a_3n6VlqfMIlNuku7CTi_fLTw1Ovj

xfFg8Xa5k-YbGdW-cSAym0KbcETB5Xymu9aVy32i

vAfuITCkCeAjkZuZyfuH-7wpZGvag3xUUogWz16Q

l5Z9sjKsrwjZTXOWMPznkn-k6l5q9vMBiq_kN0U2

hx6pm6nYfD62HkKDg6EcrGaR6gpAMlq8W_Q6m5no

p10hx-xRh22dNOjem5jct6kQCLwgz1Bw8YuHf8eU

J8RU9HsRSm0aCxi5h0z3llLFTvSy_yTFsvB3SjtA

gLBPedq15BLZSdl5oqjkrRRfnPqCIcRaKo7jJdnI

qE_jxBeuCVf8CRuMgufTpnpnRBQfp8ZmS7zhLBL7

Note the additional green suppression struts between the spars

bCZQf-zad7zFsT8eEmJkvEhvYb5ror940L6jQANA

The view from below:

kcdt2ywM2IY3e-DaxBIDrOJi5Yx-QC2GVcZYxGuf

It is damn small too!

4aKVwZ-qC-bOcTW7jVAoQLTAB6ZvYB7Bh20Bo7eD

• Like 24

It always comes as a bit of a shock when you see the photo with the coin with your models, when you have to rejig your appreciation to a whole new level of wonder! 

Another stunner - as always and that is a remarkable effect on the front part of the fuselage.

• Like 2

That is something! Even my wife like it :) - what is not very often, belive me... 

I am affraid that such model is very fragile. The PE parts are so delicate - how do you handle working with it? 

Congratulations and regards.

Jerzy-Wojtek

P.S.

I've heard recently that the newest 3D printers has resolution of 25 microns, so overnight you can print one ;)

• Like 1

Thank you all :bye:

21 minutes ago, JWM said:

I am affraid that such model is very fragile. The PE parts are so delicate - how do you handle working with it?

A very careful handling is needed, and soldering immediatly after bending in a PE tool to avoid warping.

xNc4DUyS18ccRmZNXC8ptPmFUCZRw2HMet8J625n

Sometimes you need ideas about holding the parts securly. As example my construction during rotation of the wing rips. The PE tool in angular position points in the direction of the wing. It creates space below the wing and front and back bar are locked flat.

vyI05rTgQpcdvb_H7G6CLqkGPlvBOfoMfe3Q-ksQ

The job itself is faster done compared to the time to think about the solution.

Hope it helps,

Frank

• Like 2

Really amazing and extremely realisitic looking! I have this Fokker and the Camel, but never dared to build them.

Idea of using the dental floss was really smart!

The only weak point of this kind of models are flat fuselage structure formers instead of solid 'tubes' or 'sticks'. Less painful in wooden Nieuports or Camels, a little bit more in Fokkers.

Long time ago Alberto Casirati has made his Fokker completely from scratch:

FokEIV-scratch-rear.jpg

More pictures here:

Alberto Casirati's Fokkers on wwi-models.org website

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, GrzeM said:

I have this Fokker and the Camel, but never dared to build them.

With stronger bars the Fokker can be done (as you can see above), but the construction of the Camel is to run away :door:

Why I know this? Because this :censored: aircraft is mostly painted and in sub assemblies in my cabinet. I'm not sure about able to finishing it without destroying it at the same time.

The Piper is also done (not yet shown here) and the Fokker D.VIII and the Fieseler Stroch are still untouched.

Good luck,

Frank

• Like 1

I truly admire your work not least for the high levels of skill that you demonstrate with them . These models also give a wholly different perspective on the original aircraft.

Just one question: where do you get that giant coin from and how much does it weigh?

P

Edited by pheonix
spelling error
  • Like 1

Excellent model as the rest :) , will appreciate tips on how you got that metal effect on the cowling. 

• Like 1

Thanks!

5 hours ago, Basuroy said:

will appreciate tips on how you got that metal effect on the cowling. 

I started with Alclad "dark alu", but darkened it further with a little amount of Alclad "steel", by airbrush.

The whirls then painted with a very small brush using a bright acrylic metal paint from Gunze. I can't remember which one, may be silver or alu.

• Like 1