Horst Perez' "White 4"

The background to this a/c is well known to all BoB nuts and anyone unfamiliar with the detail can view the actual a/c partially renovated at the IWM Duxford. My own fascination stems from seeing the Flying Review article from the 1960s when I was in my first unspectacular modelling phase, made more potent since I moved in 2000 into a house in East Dean that's arguably the closest to the actual site which Horst Perez chose to force-land his damaged a/c on the evening of 30/9/40.

Some years back, I made what I thought was quite a representative 1:24 scale model of this a/c based on the camo scheme used on the Duxford a/c. I'll do a separate post on that one, but I've since found additional contemporary pics of the a/c and, rightly or wrongly, decided that I prefer to believe that the Duxford scheme may be mistaken, despite well respected opinion to the contrary. The evidence outside the contemporary b&w pics suggests I'm wrong, but I nevertheless present the following series of pics of W Nr 1190, White 4 from the 4th Staffel JG 26.

33966721833_a3d43b064f.jpg    34370718710_980beae1ec_n.jpg  33946432803_cfb6aec47b_n.jpg

I prefer most of m y BoB models that represent a/c that have been in the field for some time to look a bit used and abused, particularly the Jagdwaffe ones which were rarely housed under cover, mostly being located in the open or in rudimentary pens. Despite it being the subject of some paint adjustment in August 1940, "White 4" was doubtless heavily used as the BoB continued through Aug & Sept 1940. So, apologies to those that finish their models factory fresh. This model has been finished in Tamiya acrylics with uppersurfaces in what I concocted to show a faded variety of RLM 70/02 over Tamiya AS-5, which I feel is a credible faded RLM 65. The 4th Staffel tiger head emblem is my interpretation of the b&w contemporary pics, transferred to inkjet white transfer paper after reducing to what looks like the right size, with Abschuss and W Nr markings treated similarly. The yellow fuel triangle is also my interpretation. Evidence from the actual machine suggests the mark within the yellow triangle was "100" in line with the engine requirements, but on Luftwaffe a/c the marking would normally show "C3". B&w contemporary pics of the a/c on display in N America suggest that the triangle showed "C3" rather than "100" which may have been present due to earlier renovation attempts.

34370716700_ac61d9f041_n.jpg  33946431753_82e1c02899_n.jpg  34370715690_03ab9b6e8d_n.jpg

I suspect my fascination with this particular casualty of the BoB will inevitably force me to re-think the whole thing and have another go at sometime agw, but the sun's shining and the green bits in the garden are getting restive!

• Like 12

Outstanding build, and I can only applaud the logical path you followed to paint this very scheme as accurately as you could.

I really enjoy the 109 Es of the BoB period and this one is top class.

The RLM 02 feels a bit too grey for my taste, but the rest looks spot on.

Congrats

JR