Airfix Jet Provost Mk3

Hi All,

Having built two Mk3's in the late 1960s I was really looking forward to the new version.  The test shots and the marking looked really good.. I ordered 4 as soon as they were available and bought the xtradecal set as well.  I am really pleased with the kit but the decals are another thing.  Great schemes but mine do not adhere to any curved surfaces, it looks like cardboard stuck onto the model.  I have used the Microscale system but that is struggling to cope.  Is there anyone out there with some ideas that work?

Kind regards

Hi,

Most modellers have complained about the decals in these kits, and I also found the Xtradecal aftermarket ones not to be any better.

I used hot water to apply them with this makes them a little more flexable then Daco Red strong setting soultion on the day glo strips on my build.

I still had to resort to a little touch up with Hmbrol 205 in some places.

Great kit though.

Hope this helps,

Rick

twZnHQ.jpg

• Like 4

I think the dayglo decals are rather uncooperative because they're printed over a white undercoat to prevent showthrough .  Fantasy Printshop do dayglo decals which don't have the white beneath making them very translucent and pretty much useless .  Hot water , as recommended above , followed by several coats of the strongest decal solvent you can find seems to be the only solution besides painting the dayglo , which is a nightmare in itself .

Thanks Raguk and rs2man for your comments, I have not tried the Xtradecal sheet yet- looks like it will be in for the hot water treatment.  Raguk, I really like the job you have made of the model, as Airfix adds used to say it looks just like the real thing!!

• Like 1

I reckon the dayglo decals in both the kit and Xtradecal sheets are far too orange! When dayglo first appeared it was painted on and was indeed orange. But when dayglo stick-on strips were used the colour was much more of a red dayglo. I have duplicated this on a Vampire T.11 by spraying a white base, then gloss red (Humbrol), then a couple of coats of dayglo orange on top of that. This gives it a more deep red shade which to me looks more like it should. I then masked off the dayglo strips before spraying the overall aluminium airframe colour. 

Chris

16 hours ago, CT Modeller said:

I reckon the dayglo decals in both the kit and Xtradecal sheets are far too orange! When dayglo first appeared it was painted on and was indeed orange. But when dayglo stick-on strips were used the colour was much more of a red dayglo.

That would explain why, long ago, Aeroclub did two sheets of dayglo, one in orange and one in a redder shade.  I bought both but was never clear when Ii should have been using which.

One thing not to follow from Meindert's build is to paint the tank tips black: Raguk's version is correct as the tips are the coloured lenses over the navigation lights.  Admittedly the lenses do appear quite dark when the nav lights are off, but black's stretching it a bit.

Hair drier is amazingly effective with cardboard decals....well established technique learnt from the car modellers.

• Like 1