Wingnut WIngs 1/32 Sopwith Camel of Hinchcliffe

Hi Beardie,

Thanks for posting this - there are not many completed WNW Camels on show right now so yours is of great interest to all WW1 modellers.

You should be proud as its a stunning model - congratulations.

I have two of the WNW Camels in my stash of around 50 kits I've yet to build (still working on my 10th model).

My guess is you may make another and if so, could I respectfully point out that the leading edges of both wings have see through inspection windows (for control cable/pulleys).  Unless my eyes deceive me, it seems you have yours covered in paint/decals.

Its only a minor observation in an otherwise great model,

Thanks,

Mike

Edited by Sandbagger
  • Like 1

Hi Mike,

You are correct that the inspection panels are usually seethrough and are provided in the kit as clear parts but, and I am trusting Wingnuts on this as their research seems excellent, they specify that certain decal schemes call for the inspection panels be painted over, decalled, and they provide a separate decal to cover the inspection panels that cut into the roundel. They say that these panels were often painted over in service.

I thoroughly recommend that everyone get stuck into their Camels, it is a superb kit :thumbsup: I have another four in my stash (two Clerget a LeRhone and a Br.1) and hope to have a fifth (LeRhone) shipped out to me in the near future from our very own BlackMikemodels.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Beardie said:

Hi Mike,

You are correct that the inspection panels are usually seethrough and are provided in the kit as clear parts but, and I am trusting Wingnuts on this as their research seems excellent, they specify that certain decal schemes call for the inspection panels be painted over, decalled, and they provide a separate decal to cover the inspection panels that cut into the roundel. They say that these panels were often painted over in service.

Having been down this same 'road' recently. I would respectfully point out that photos often show these clear inspection ports either doped or painted over in service. Even relatively rare shots of top wings---usually either as separate components or visible as the result of a crash---seem to show these area covered over as often as not.

And, again, truly excellent work!

• Like 1

I suspect that, while from a safety aspect it would be handy to be able to quickly check the control line pulleys, it may have been felt that they increased the chances of reflected sunlight flashing off them alerting enemy aircraft to the aircrafts presence.

No apologies neccessary, I did puzzle over it myself. One thing that I have discovered with Wingnut Wings kits is that you have to be very careful about reading and studying everything as you build them. I have now started work on the Roland D.VIa and made the mistake of starting to build the Mercedes D.IIIau version of the engine then, as I am planning to do the 'bonus' scheme on the Wingnut Wings  website for this kit, I was reading the new information online and they have apparently discovered that the aircraft was an early production version and should have the Mercedes D.IIIa engine. Fortunately I have more than one D.VIa kit and so could swap the engine components over. It just means that I have to build a late production model with the other D.VIa kit when I get around to it. :huh::idea::D

I know that compared to some of the German colour schemes this is a bit dull, but even so i reached for my sun glasses! That is a truly impressive build - and I really do like the scheme. Flawless finish as far as I can see - did you use a hand lens for the touch-ups?

P

• Like 1

I've not been online as much as normal lately so missed this one completely. I'm glad I've caught up with it now though, what a beauty. I really do think I'll pull one from the stock and have a go once i get my current projects out of the way.

Duncan B

• Like 1

Beardie, that looks absolutely stunning!

Then with the photo of the undersides it gets even better. You have already answered my question, which was "decals or masked and painted?" which results with beautiful defined lines.

I'll look forward to seeing your other work in the future!

• Like 1

Hi Paul, yup the decals are excellent in this kit I think I prefer decals to paint :drunk: I  am currently building the Roland D.VIa, with horizontal red stripes painted on a white fuselage and getting them clean and tidy is proving a real challenge.

I am going to take some better photos of the Camel today to put into the customer builds section of the Wingnuts website.

I just took advantage of a break in the clouds to take the model outside and get some brighter pictures (without the trash of my workspace in the background) which I have sent to Wingnut Wings for the customer gallery so I though I would add them here as well.

So here goes....

P1000121

P1000123P1000122P1000124P1000125P1000126P1000127

• Like 6

Indeed I am Matt. The Wingnuts are just unbeatable for WWI kits. You don't have to go to war with them, just take your time and it all just falls together. I owe Eduard a debt for getting me back into world war one modelling but they just can't compete with Wingnuts 1/32 scale kits for enjoyable easy(relatively) builds and the size is just perfect. Not too big and not too small. My old 1/48 Eduard builds look so titchy next to them.