Wingnut WIngs 1/32 Sopwith Camel of Hinchcliffe

Well I have now finished my first Wingnut Wings Sopwith Camel (bar a few teeny tiny touch-ups and so I have taken a few photos to show what even a cack-handed modeller like myself can make out of this superb kit. The kit went together faultlessly and any errors, or deficiencies are entirely my own :hypnotised: But hey who cares, it is meant to be fun and I found this one a whole heap of fun and the finished model looks just grand to me.

Wee tip for anyone building this kit, be careful once you have the ailerons and control horns in place. I put pressure on an aileron and managed to detach it and snap the accompanying control horn meaning fun and games with superglue and a file to try and get it looking anywhere near it's original self prior to the Beardie bear getting my grubby paws on it.

Anyway I hope you all enjoy and it inspires you to get into the wonderful world of World War One aircraft and WIngnuts :thumbsup:

P1000079

P1000084

P1000081

P1000080

P1000082

P1000083

• Like 72

That's a great looking Camel.

I love the colour scheme. It's certainly an eye catching model. That's the first time that I've seen a propeller painted in colour; I think it looks great.

Thanks for sharing it.

Thanks for your comments Chris.

I first did this scheme a while back on the Revell 1/28 Camel and they had the propellor painted blue but the Boss as varnished wood. I think the solid colour looks better. Hard to tell from the photos I have of this machine which is correct.

The suggestion that Richard Alexander at Wingnuts makes is that all the flight leaders aircraft in Naval 10 may have had their props and guns painted to match the Flight colours.

As an aside, I have to say that, despite the intricacy of the scheme, the way the decals have been designed by Wingnuts make it childsplay to get them onto the model neatly compared to the Revell 1/28 kit where I had a nightmare with the decals and ended up having to do all the white borders and stripes with the airbrush and masking tape as they constantly folded over on themselves or tore apart while trying to get them in the correct position.

• Like 1

An absolutely fabulous Camel Beardie, well done !  Definately a colourful and interesting machine.

One thing your build has confirmed to me is that it's worth checking more recent releases of their kits for colour mixes.  Your upper surfaces have a definite brown tinge.  I've checked the instructions for your Camel and compared them to those of the Ninak that I'm working on and the mixes for the PC10 have changed so that now XF10 is added to the XF62.  This might not be the case for all subjects, others will know more than I do (I can guarantee that ! LOL), and I guess it just the result of their accumulation of research data.

Darn it, I want one of these now !  ;)

Cheers

Gaz

• Like 1

Thank you all for your kind comments :rofl:

Gaz I think the colour of PC10 is a great conundrum even for the chaps at Wingnuts. As it was a mixed colour it probably varied widely from an olive green to a dark rusty brown depending on how accurately the recipe was followed and even how well it was stirred before being painted on.

The colour I used here was Humbrol 170 enamel. Being a Naval Camel it could even have been PC12 which is described as more of a chocolate brown colour.

By the way treat yourself to a Camel....... You know you want to :hypnotised:

What a beautiful paint job, it looks really great, these Wingnut kits do seem to turn out well, one day I will have to be brave and have a go at something with rigging.

Cheers

Dennis

• Like 1

It is an illusion that they are hard to build when it comes to Wingnut Wings. The kits fit together absolutely perfectly and assembly, even fitting the top wing, is childsplay. When it comes to rigging, all you need to master is getting a piece of elastic accurately into a spot of superglue using tweezers.

I encourage anyone who likes Bi-planes but is frightened of rigging to give one a go. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

Great job Marty, the paintwork on the underside is great, how did you do that area on the lower wing stained by the wheels chucking up crud? It looks really effective.

Great job, I look forward to seeing the Roland now!

Cheers

John

• Like 1

Oh so that's why you kept on at me to get one of these.  Now I see.

Lovely kit and superb job there Marty. Nice one.

What's the next WNW model on the production line?  

• Like 1

Superb model Camel, Beardie -

Absolutely love it!

I also like this particular colour marking scheme and have also built the ancient Revell 1/28 kit in the same markings but had no problems using their decals.  I'm currently in the process of building the WNW Le Rhone version.  How strong is the wing setup on the model?  I ask as I see you have used elastic thread to rig yours.   On their own, all the struts look a but weak and wonder if I might end up with a bit of 'flex'/wobble unless rigged with fishing line which would give a bit more structural strength.

Is your wing setup pretty strong using the elastic line?    I also hope mine comes out looking as good as yours..........

Regards

Dave

Hi Dave,

The wing assembly is actually solid as a rock even without the rigging. Believe me I am not the most delicate when it comes to handling my models and I had absolutely no problems and no breakages. The Wingnuts guys certainly know how to make a nice strong structure. I have accidentally squeezed the wings together once or twice and the struts have flexed but not broken.

John (Viking) I will let you into the secret of my 'dirtying up' of the underside. I used a liquid called Jacksons Glaze medium which is a thin liquid, essentially a very thin varnish made of Turpentine, Damar resin, linseed oil and various other resins.

https://www.jacksonsart.com/jacksons-oil-medium-glaze-medium-500ml

First I painted the underwings with Humbrol 121 enamel and then masked off the ribs and sprayed a couple of thin coats of the glaze medium (straight from the bottle it goes through an airbrush like spraying water) the glaze medium has a tint to it which gives a subtle darkening of the unmasked areas. Once the masking was removed and after a few hours to dry I mixed a very small amount of a colour called Raw Umber (green shade) from Winsor and Newton artists oils with some more glaze medium and gradually built up the mottling all over the lower surfaces and heavier in the area where the castor oil would stain which gave a very nice oily green/brown look which, I think, looks very realistic even if it takes a little while to build it up.

As you can see, if you follow the link the Glaze medium is not terribly expensive (A half litre will go a very long way), is touch dry within a few hours to a day and forms a hard resistant but thin lacquer which can easily be tinted with small quantities of oil colour to simulate a whole variety of staining/dirtying effects.

This is the purpose that this Glaze medium is intended to fulfill in painting fine transparent layers when painting oils on canvas and so it is a great addition to the arsenal.

• Like 2

A stunning looking Camel.  Great paint finish and terrific rigging.  The RNAS really went for it with their colour schemes.  Took me a while to work out what the design was on the wheel hub.  It's an imp isn't it? 

• Like 1

Hi Beardie, that's a lovely model. Congratulations, it must feel great to finish a Wingnut kit. 

You gave me a bit of advice in another thread about rigging but may I ask what you actually use for the rigging? 

Can't wait to see what you build next, all the best, Martin

Hi Martin the rigging is done with Prym knitting in elastic which is recoomended by Wingnuts to represent the flat aerodynamic rigging used on RFC machines. It only costs a couple of pounds from Knitting/Sewing/craft shops or you can get it easily on ebay.

Meatbox8 the wheel covers have devils on them complete with pitchfork and lightning bolts, quite heavy metal :rofl:

Next up is a Roland D.VIa which will be in a rather flash red and white horizontal strip outfit. This is not in the Wingnuts instructions for the kit but is in the 'bonus' schemes added to the instructions on the Wingnuts website.

• Like 2

I must say a big thank you to all the chaps who have left kind comments on this, my first RFI.

I admit that it was with some trepidation that I uploaded photographs of my work but I was driven to do it as I want to encourage others to get the Wingnuts bug rather than to blow my own trumpet. It has chuffed me up no end to know that my efforts have met with such a warm reception :thumbsup:

• Like 2