DHC Chipmunk T10 +++++ Finished +++++

Nice Fire Orange Finnish there 825. Something I have found when decaying over bright colours is its best to put a white decal down first under roundels or fin flashes because the white in most kit decals is not dense enough to prevent 'bleed through'.

Regards Toby

I started getting the transfers on, hoping to do a small number each morning before going to work over the next week. Here is Thursday's attempt (I have been at the weekend). They were a nightmare, ultra thin and stick to the plane instantaneously, no moving around at all. To move they had to be totally soaked and then peeled ever so gently with a scalpel blade. I don't relish putting the serials on or the small transfers into awkward places like under the tailplanes and spin strakes. I did use Micro Sol which usually means they slide all over the place. I don't recall this with previous AZ transfers. Anybody else had experience and have tips?

And the colour underneath shows through. 

resized_e3070873-cb4d-4160-a920-62d7df77

• Like 1

Better luck today with the transfers. I used the roundels from another Chipmunk kit and they were more amenable as well less transparent.  Put on with generous amounts of Microsol beforehand, a long dip in cool water and gentle nudging with a broad Microsol soaked brush.

Doesn't look too bad.  No stencils yet. The canopy has been masked with a Peewit mask and glued on.

resized_1f1c419a-0b51-4cd3-957d-393d402a

resized_88f0bb95-51b4-4e6d-b570-3106a5b6

resized_3e6d6fb0-751e-4fe3-8fbb-7f6af358

Edited by 825
Spelling error fixed
  • Like 3

16 hours ago, Sofusthecat said:

Nice Fire Orange Finnish there 825. Something I have found when decaying over bright colours is its best to put a white decal down first under roundels or fin flashes because the white in most kit decals is not dense enough to prevent 'bleed through'.

Regards Toby

Thanks Toby, but unfortunately your advice was a little late, as you can see. The more recent roundels came from a different AZ kit and they seem to have performed better. I may overlay the underside roundels with new ones but will sleep on that for the moment. 

Canopy painted and unmasked, the Peewee mask performed really well. And the rudder popped on with a slight deflection. Not much more to go. And the black and white striped prop is already painted. 

resized_fcf63cb1-2ec2-4877-8b77-940c87fc

e6b4137b-49bd-4871-82fc-96d08427f7f1.JPG

• Like 3

That looks superb :thumbsup:

The canopy framing has turned out really well. Good save on the decals.

I was interested in what you wrote earlier about airbrushing earlier formulation Humbrol acrylics. Your looks good.

I'm trying with one (Garter Blue), but not much luck. I have W & N flow improver.

I wondered if I could ask if you just add a little of that to the paint, and how much, or if you thin with water or Humbrol acrylic thinner too?

Best regards

TonyT

3 hours ago, TonyTiger66 said:

That looks superb :thumbsup:

The canopy framing has turned out really well. Good save on the decals.

I was interested in what you wrote earlier about airbrushing earlier formulation Humbrol acrylics. Your looks good.

I'm trying with one (Garter Blue), but not much luck. I have W & N flow improver.

I wondered if I could ask if you just add a little of that to the paint, and how much, or if you thin with water or Humbrol acrylic thinner too?

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks for the kind words Tony. The Fire Orange does look good and the Peewit masks do a good job. I had a little bit of creep and I scraped it off gently with the end of a scalpel blade, then gave these areas a light coat of Kleer. 

I didnt airbrush the Chipmunk, I do have one but it is buried somewhere. I do a lot of my painting in 10/15 minute slots before going to work or when I come in, so I'm an avowed hairy stick modeller. I add the Flow Improver to thin the acrylic paint to the consistency of single cream and then thinly apply it. The dilution is about 1:10 but as I use the paint, over time, not in a session, it often needs a few drops to restore the consistency as the solvents evaporate. If you can get hold of a 1ml syringe it makes an ideal tool to both measure and add the Flow Improver. Hope that's helpful.

There are others on BM who airbrush everything and they would be better advises than me. Tony O'Toole brushes most things and I think he uses Flow Improver so it's worth looking at few of his builds. 

Edited by 825
  • Thanks 1

Finished, spent this morning finishing things off and adding all the stencils. Well not the tiny ones, the FAA planes seems to be very clean so I've kept it that way.

resized_67b5009a-c5e3-490c-af98-8320b4e0

• Like 5

1 hour ago, 825 said:

I add the Flow Improver to thin the acrylic paint to the consistency of single cream and then thinly apply it. The dilution is about 1:10 but as I use the paint, over time, not in a session, it often needs a few drops to restore the consistency as the solvents evaporate. If you can get hold of a 1ml syringe it makes an ideal tool to both measure and add the Flow Improver. Hope that's helpful.

That's very helpful, many thanks :).

I only started using an airbrush last year, I'm not very good with it. I'll do this model with a hairy stick following your advice above.

It's a Spanish aircraft in their shade of blue of the 1950's, that was reputed to be originally a Peugeot car colour. A Humbrol rail colour is the closest I can get, but I was going nowhere but the loony bin trying to use it with the airbrush :lol:!

The Chipmunk looks great, the fact that I thought it was airbrushed speaks volumes about the paint finish :clap:!

The little base looks good; very appropriate, a bit of green field and sky behind that and it will look real.

:goodjob: 

TonyT

Thanks Tony. The runway and grass are both Mark 1 products which I find a nice base to take my final photographs against/on. I use my iPad for my photographs and putting everything onto BM so the photo quality isn't as good as it could be. Mind you I'm a half full person so to me it's ok. This Chippy has been a nice build and I've enjoyed it, despite my couple of blind alleys on the red/orange. I think she looks rather nice but I'm surprised how small a Chipmunk is. I'm also building a Sea Balliol and it looks positively gargantuan alongside the Chipmunk. 

Thank you all for your kind comments. I must admit I thought I was never going to finish the Orange but once done it does look nice. I supposed brushing on a number of thin coats means that's it does take time but it gives a better finish than just slapping it on. And after my initial problem with the transfers I had no further problems with them.