Tiger 1 E Late

I've had this kit, Tamiya, for years and haven't built any armour for almost as long so thought I would have a crack after seeing the Panther build by PlaStix.

Tracks are the individual kit ones and are a weak point.

I just need to do the crew now that came with the kit.

Kit: Tamiya 1/35 Tiger I E Late w/commander and crew.

AM: Aber zimmerit in PE, metal barrel/brake, some of an Eduard detail set.

Paints: Vallejo Model Air and Tamiya.

OqJHkCo.jpg

VkzcPTZ.jpg

AwuV8dF.jpg

6YbbNGV.jpg

cP0DqGo.jpg

• Like 9

Looking good, really good.  I love that faded 3 color camo look as it seems more natural and prototypical than some of the more contrasty schemes I've seen.

The PE zimmerit looks very realistic and it must be fun to apply, not.   The tracks don't look all that bad either.

Overall I like it and if it's been years since you built armour then keep them coming.  Hmmmm   007, that's James somebody isn't it?

Lloyd

• Like 1

That's a great lookingTiger. I too love the camo.  I have to say that the zimmerit looks a bit weird to me though... far too neat and tidy. The guy who applied it must have OCD. (Not you, the guy in 1944)

I also have had this kit in my stash for over a year, but the only zimmerit I have is the Tamiya decal stuff and I'm not sure if that's any good?

Looking forwards to seeing some more armour from you.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Badder said:

That's a great lookingTiger. I too love the camo.  I have to say that the zimmerit looks a bit weird to me though... far too neat and tidy. The guy who applied it must have OCD. (Not you, the guy in 1944)

I also have had this kit in my stash for over a year, but the only zimmerit I have is the Tamiya decal stuff and I'm not sure if that's any good?

Looking forwards to seeing some more armour from you.

Rearguards,

Badder

Hi Badder, I bought some sets of Zimmerit from Tamiya, Jagdpanther, Elefant, Panther and Tiger, and recently I decided to try one, but to my surprise, when I cut it and put it in water, thinking that it's going to sink like a decal , Is a piece, that is, you cut it, and stick it, as you can ...

Come on, cow poop ...
:poop: and then the photoetch sets like this, have the disadvantage that they are "very squared", without easy possibility of making damages, and that is worse, with very little relief ...

IHMO I think the best option is to use putty (of the type that you like), or sets, I think, A-TAK, that if they get in water and stick to the kit ...

Cheers mate :cheers:

Edited by FrancisGL
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

Hi Badder, I bought some sets of Zimmerit from Tamiya, Jagdpanther, Elefant, Panther and Tiger, and recently I decided to try one, but to my surprise, when I cut it and put it in water, thinking that it's going to sink like a decal , Is a piece, that is, you cut it, and stick it, as you can ...

Come on, cow poop ...
and then the photoetch sets like this, have the disadvantage that they are "very squared", without easy possibility of making damages, and that is worse, with very little relief ...

IHMO I think the best option is to use putty (of the type that you like), or sets, I think, A-TAK, that if they get in water and stick to the kit ...

Cheers mate :cheers:

Thanks Francis,

I was going to test the Tamiya zimmerit first, but I was apprehensive of it even when I bought it. I will see. For my first Tiger (the one I did fpr my Villers Bocage diorma, after a 35yrs gap) I used a pyrograph and melted the zimmerit straight into the plastic. It was fairly good, but the fumes were deadly so I'm wary about doing that again!

I will probably opt for the paste.

I hope you are well

Rearguards,

Badder

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Badder said:

Thanks Francis,

I was going to test the Tamiya zimmerit first, but I was apprehensive of it even when I bought it. I will see. For my first Tiger (the one I did fpr my Villers Bocage diorma, after a 35yrs gap) I used a pyrograph and melted the zimmerit straight into the plastic. It was fairly good, but the fumes were deadly so I'm wary about doing that again!

I will probably opt for the paste.

I hope you are well

Rearguards,

Badder

I remember that Tiger, and the pyrograph, I think it is still a good idea to improve the welds of the plates in the turrets and casemates of the tanks, but for the zimmerit, it is even dangerous.
The advantage of the Tamiya Zimm is that it is quite cheap, and that if it does not suit you, at least you have a complete diagram, and I think exactly, how is the Zimm applied in that particular model, but I have been disappointed.
:rage:.. maybe if you try it better than me.

For what I read, after buying it and using it .., the best are A-TAK sets (I think it's called that), although I do not know where to get them, of course the masilla ,,, but lots of work .. .
Tamiya sells a few "combs" to "scratch" the zimmerit, thus saving work.
Give me a touch when you decide to start work on it.

Cheers Badder :cheers:

• Like 1

Zimmerit does always seem like a difficult thing... The PE parts do seem too generic and "perfect", but we will not judge models with the magnification glass, so iIthink it is a great Tiger!!! Great work. At some point everyone switches to the paste and some Zimm tools or fancypants stuff, I assume?

• Like 1

Nice looking tiger, I used a PE zimmermit set on a panther I built, I found the large bits a little un nerving at first. Dragon do a couple of Michael wittmann figures.

• Like 1

Many Thanks for the kind words.  The PE zim was straight forwards but as has been mentioned it is to "perfect" and I havent damaged it.  I have the 1/35 king tiger which would have zim too, I think the paste method might be the best option! :unsure:

• Like 1

Pzrgren

I have tried the paste/putty/arcane substance method to apply zimmerit on several models with generally crappy/not worth keeping results

and it's not fun to try to get failed attempts back out of the cracks and crevices so those kits usually make it to the big bin.

So basically I have limited myself to German armour after late 1944 that didn't have zimmerit or I have purchased some of the Dragon

models that come with excellent moulded-on zimmerit and I'm considering one of the Takom King Tigers with the interior and zimmerit.   

Your PE zimmerit may be too regular or whatever but it's much much better than I've been able to accomplish so "job well done".

The faded camo, the damaged skirts, the zimmerit and even the tracks are plenty good enough for one of my shelves if you feel like donating it..........

Take care and I'm waiting on your Tiger II,

Lloyd

• Like 1