Airco DH9A

stevehed

Hi,

I'd like to enter and take the opportunity of increasing the numbers on my GB shelf. However I need clarification on my choice of kit. A few years back I built this kit as a 1920's NineAck. I compared it to quite a few old photos and couldn't see any differences between the subject and the DH9A's. The kit is the Maquette Polikarpov R-1, Russia's unlicensed copy of the DH9A. I replaced the kit rear cockpit with an Aeroclub Lewis/Scarff set up but that was it. I will do the same again but this time it will be built as a Western Front machine. Will this be OK?

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thanks for that. A month should be enough as I'll be largely building oob

Have made a start by filling a couple of small ejector holes on the wing under surfaces. Intend to lightly score ribs on same surfaces and paint as much as I can before beginning to assemble.

PICT0022_zpsugcg0sya.jpg

PICT0021_zpscnl77doq.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Bit more progress to report. Have cleared the decks and can now concentrate on my GB entries. This kit has a cockpit floor and seats plus an instrument panel. Pretty crude but the crew will fill any gaps. Other than that the kit is very reminiscent of the Airfix DH4 as far as the wings are concerned but with Bristol Fighter struts. I've drilled locating holes for the cabane strut pins and painted most of the parts.

PICT0024_zpskd6cvxwr.jpg

PICT0023_zpsdrtfx6r2.jpg

Regards, Steve

PICT0036_zps0rb2s8nq.jpg

Plodding on and enjoying the build. The parts fit very well with no filler so far. The transfers are ex Airfix BE2c and I had to paint the rudder stripes. Extras were the windscreen and an Aldis sight cut from scrap and then crew. One of the cabane location slots was short moulded and had to be deepened with a drill bit and the locating holes for the pins at the base of the struts had to be drilled. Also drilled the fuselage rigging holes.

Regards, Steve

Next stage was the upper wings and here I had a couple of problems. I attached the cabane struts and after a few dry runs came to the conclusion that the interplane struts were too short. Don't recall having this issue with the first build of this type. The dry runs were very fiddly and awkward to hold together so I added a couple of drops of cement to hold things together long enough to get a more  accurate picture. Decided that the top wing had too much dihedral so I shortened the cabanes by a mille or so without success. Solution was to gently cut the upper wing sufficiently across the chord to allow the wing to be bent. Easier to see in the photos. Interplane were fitted and liquid CA will be run into the slots before touching up.

PICT0038_zps6ojylpx6.jpg

PICT0037_zps9gjrh7sl.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Gents,

More progress to report. With the wings on I added rigging. Invisible thread from Aeroclub. Had it since 2007 and have started the final layer. Luckily we have a sewing shop locally so replacements aren't a problem. Undercarriage fitted ok but I couldn't fit the axle without seriously enlarging the holes to the point of breakage. Plastic rod will have to do. There are no bombs with this kit so I've made up some frames under the wings. Based on web photos from an aircraft at Tangmere, I think. Had to deviate and add two attachment bars spanwise rather than chord wise a la Airfix DH4 because the bombs I have are ex DH4. Will live with it as they will match the rest of the DH fleet on the shelves. Not far to go now.

PICT0040_zpsqr3iwexc.jpg

Regards,

Steve

• Like 1

Nearly done bar the final touch ups. Glad to have this one on the shelves and thanks to the GB for the motivation. Still not sure what happened with the upper wing as the first build had no such problem. However it was a relatively simple fix as was enlarging the starboard forward cabane slot. This was common to both builds. Couldn't use my Aeroclub Scarff/Lewis set up  this time either. My choice of observer is a more muscular guy than previous and the gun ring wouldn't lie right. Made a ring from copper wire and adapted the kit rails with rod and used a spare white metal Lewis from the spares.  Apart from that an enjoyable build. Next photos in the Gallery.

PICT0042_zpszywyk4so.jpg

PICT0043_zpsnt2oklfu.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 2

Beautiful work there Steve. That rigging looks very good, hats off to you! I'm glad the GB motivated you and I hope you enjoyed it. Thanks for taking part and I look forward to seeing the photos in the Gallery.