DF loops on CBI Mustangs; suggestions (1/48)?

Bubba Kingfloat

Help!

It seems that every CBI-based Mustang (and others) I want to build has a DF loop on the fuselage spine, but no kit I know of has one included (speaking only of 1/48th; I know some of the 1/72nd kits have them). My scratched attempts look horrible, so I'm asking what others do to make them. I'm "assuming" looped wire and built up base? Thanks in advance!

Paolo

Added the ubiquitous 1st ACG P-51A photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/North_American_P-51A_061023-F-1234P-011.jpg

for my models of "Carol's Daddy" and "Mrs. Virginia" I am planning on stealing them from P-40 kits.

looks like the angle of the spine might be close enough.

but, I haven't actually done it yet so I can't guarantee it will work ;)

20 hours ago, Bubba Kingfloat said:

Help!

It seems that every CBI-based Mustang (and others) I want to build has a DF loop on the fuselage spine, but no kit I know of has one included (speaking only of 1/48th; I know some of the 1/72nd kits have them). My scratched attempts look horrible, so I'm asking what others do to make them. I'm "assuming" looped wire and built up base? Thanks in advance!

Paolo

Added the ubiquitous 1st ACG P-51A photo:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/bb/North_American_P-51A_061023-F-1234P-011.jpg

First off, you get a Cheerio and thin the dickens out of it! No, seriously, in 1/48 you could either loop wire or sprue around a former of the desired diameter. If using sprue, overlap the two ends and cut both with a single edge razor blade, then secure with Microweld or MEK. For the base, you might be able to use the stub mounting for a 5" HVAR, which looks like it has a suitable aerofoil-shaped section. Be sure to mount the place where the two ends were joined to the base to help hide the joint. Going to an auto parts or hardware store and looking at O-ring assortments might yield one of the desired diameter, but might be too thick for 1/48 scale. That's as far as my thinking takes me. Taking one from a multi-engined kit would be a pretty expensive way to go, but I must admit I have purchased kits for a prop, set of wheels, engine, etc. if there was no other alternative for a project that I was determined to build (I hate to admit this, but I bought several of the old Monogram box scale A-26 and B-25H kits back when they were cheap just to get those beautiful Hamilton Standard props!) Yes, I know I am one sick puppy!

Mike

I just cut down the tail ring on a British bomb from an ICM Spitfire, just sliced off a really thin piece and glued it on my A-20. It's worth a whack. Good luck on that.

Cheers

Edited by Spitfire addict
Auto correct got me

Mungo- And of course I have Tamiya and Accurate Miniatures!

Thanks for the suggestions all...using the HVAR stubs might work as I have more than a few of those sitting around. I'm actually surprised that I haven't found aftermarket loops anywhere.