Interesting (to me) Wellington Pic

mhaselden

Just wasting time meandering over t'interwebby thingy and I stumbled across this Wellington pic:

Wellington-Nov40.jpg

Serial isn't exactly clear but seems to include the numbers '333'.  Also like the noseart and the interesting wavy and soft-edged demarcation between upper and lower camp.

Anyone have a better idea of the aircraft identity, unit or other details?

Many thanks,
Mark

Great steer Pete.  Using your info, I confirmed the identity as R1333 - the same pic appears in Steve Bond's book "Wimpy".  The photo was apparently taken on 7 Nov 40, it was delivered to 99 Sqn on 1 Dec and crashed on 18 Dec. 

3 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Looks to be some kinda ceremony what with the bottle hanging on the line and the Lady.

What is the Heath Robinson with the string and the two ballast hanging down from the cockpit window ???

I would suggest that it is some form of Christening, dedication or Presentation ceremony.  If the lady were to pull on the rope tied to the prop and which goes over the spinner, then the rope would slip of the spinner and the bottle would swing down and smash itself on what looks like oxygen bottles hanging from the cockpit.

I would also suggest that if it were a dedication or Presentation ceremony then it will have had something to do with a group of individuals/business/town or village in Wales as the dragon on the nose art is a variation of the Welsh Dragon.

Dennis 

PS - It's The Broughton Wellington R1333 and the photo is dated 7th November 1940.  Broughton is/was a district in Flintshire, Wales, close to the Wales–England border, located to the west of the City of Chester.  It could also have been presented by the landed gentry family named Broughton who originated/owned that area. :-

urDBIG3.jpg

Edited by sloegin57
too many bottles, photo added
  • Like 2

21 minutes ago, mhaselden said:

Outstanding info, Dennis...and a great photo to back up the original I 'found'.  Many thanks.

Cheers,

Mark

Thanks Mark but a bit more digging came up with this - Post 7 - from our own Graham Boak (by-pass the above !!)

http://www.rafcommands.com/forum/showthread.php?8571-Vickers-Wellington-construction-datas

Dennis