HMAS/m AE2, Scratchbuild

Kick-off

ae2 at sea

Hello,

I have spent the last 6 months working on a scratchbuilt Mig 15 and that project is now drawing to a close.

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235012524-mig-15-scratchbuild/&

Consequently, I've been thinking a lot about my next project and after much deliberation, including considering a very, very wide range of possible subjects, I have decided to try something completely different to my usual aviation related fare.  I am going to try to build His Majesty's Australian Submarine AE2.  This is a project that I has been in the back of my mind for over a decade now and when a fellow modeller offered to lend the following set of plans to me, all thoughts of other projects evaporated. 

IMG_6408

In my view Allied submarines in WW1 are under represented in the modelling world, so I'm going to try to do my little bit to correct this. 

AE2 was an early E-Class submarine operated by the Royal Australian Navy. On the evening of 25 April 1915 (while the Gallipoli landings were underway) she successfully penetrated the extremely formidable Turkish defences in the Dardenelles Straight and proceeded to 'run amok' in the sea of Marmara. During a short-lived but very intensive period of raiding she caused considerable disruption to Turkish attempts to reinforce and supply their defences on the Gallipoli peninsula. On the 30th of April AE2 was damaged by the Turkish torpedo boat Sultanhisar and, unable to dive to safety, her captain decided to scuttle her. All hands survived the scuttling and spent the rest of the war as P.O.W's in Turkey where they suffered terribly. Four of the vessel's compliment of 32 died during their incarceration.

In 1998 the wreck of the AE2 was located and found to be in remarkably good condition, mostly due to it's partial immersion in anoxic mud. A thorough campaign to preserve the wreck in-situ continues to this day. The possibility of recovering the wreck has been discussed at length, and although probably technically feasible would be a very high risk and highly expensive project.

So - in the meantime a model will have to do! :idea:

I have not yet started any physical construction - so there's not a lot to see yet but, most unlike me, I have been conducting some additional research.

IMG_6419

And just as well too because it turns out that the drawings above are for a mid-war configuration E-class submarine which in some significant regards was different to the early war AE2.

For example, the mid war submarine had a gun mounted ahead of the conning tower and had two forward torpedo tubes instead of AE2's single tube. There are other differences also.

Suffice to say that this set of plans from the RAN's historical page on their website will help me nail down the correct configuration.

Submarines_AE_Starbd_Elevation_Retouched_ORIG[1]

The model itself will be:

• 1 / 100 scale
  • Waterline - surface trim
  • Scratchbuilt - although I might resort to some aftermarket details here and there.
  • It will not be a cutaway (despite various people suggesting the idea)
  • Predominantly made from wood, but expect to see some brass and plastic sheeting and a few other bits and pieces as well. 

I am hoping to have physical construction under-way this week and am aiming to have it finished by the end of 2017 but really don't have any idea how long this will take as I'm completely new to this maritime modelling lark.

My plan for this job is basically to 'muddle through' so any encouragement and expert advice from the sidelines will be most appreciated!

Best Regards,

Reconcilor

• Like 15

Hello, what a great subject this is!

I have to admit I have been hoping for an E-Class Submarine kit to ahem... surface. My Grandfather served in E23 after being on HMS Dreadnought. He switched to the submariner's as he got extra pay during WW1. The only thing he told me about submarine service life was that his hearing was ruined when they had to crash dive to escape an American attack. 

I will definitely look in on this one Reconcilor

All the best,

Ray

• Like 1

Hi Ray,

Great to have you along for the ride.

I trust you are suitably proud of your grandfather. Anyone who went to sea in one of those early submarines is outstandingly brave in my opinion. Anyone who goes to war in one - Wow!

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Reconcilor said:

Hi Ray,

Great to have you along for the ride.

I trust you are suitably proud of your grandfather. Anyone who went to sea in one of those early submarines is outstandingly brave in my opinion. Anyone who goes to war in one - Wow!

Oh yes!

Ray

• Like 1

Will be keeping an eye on this one Reconcilor.  Crossed the Dardenelles by ferry years ago and visited the Gallipoli war graves before heading up to Istanbul.  Brave men to sail up there in a sub

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Michael M said:

Very good idea, but why waterline? You'll loose 2/3 of nice submarine there....

A fair question. I decided on waterline After a fair bit of thought for the following reasons:

- I generally prefer the appearance of waterline models, they look more natural to me.

- I am keen to try making an ocean-scape for her to sit in.

- This is my first maritime model so I want to keep it simple.

- I am lazy! 😀

If this his project goes well I might be building more ships and subs, so might try full-hull in future.

• Like 3

This looks fascinating! I shall be happy to lend my, somewhat dubious according to some, support to this build.

Martian

• Like 1

Always happy to have a visit from Mars mate!

Hoping to have the first actual modelling post for this project this weekend - just waiting on my mate at work to finish scanning, rescaling and plotting the plans. 

Thanks Brian 

I'm looking forward to seeing how I'm going to do it too ! 🤓 I imagine I'll be about 2/3 through when I work out how I should tackle this. 😀

• Like 1