1/72 Airfix North American P51D Mustang

Dear fellow Britmodellers,

here's my 1/72 Airfix Mustang P-51D (Kit #A01004A) built straight from the box.

Decals represent the mount of Lt. Eugene W. James, 352nd FG, 328th FS, Bodney/Norfolk, England 1944.

Painted with acrylics from Gunze/Mr.Hobby and Alclad II.

This kit is cheap, easy to build and has very good surface detail.

The plastic used by Airfix is quite soft, which resulted in some broken or bent parts.

I broke the control column and the blade antenna when trying to remove it from the sprues.

(I scratch-built a new control stick and replaced the kit's antenna with a photoetch item.)

One of the undercarriage legs was badly bent.

Due to the softness of the plastic, the model is in a "wobbly" state, when you touch it, it rocks from side to side!

This is the only weak point of the whole model kit.

If I build another one, I will invest in a metal undercarriage from Scale Aircraft Conversions.

Ok, here's the pictures ... as usual, taken by Mr. Wolfgang Rabel of IGM Cars & Bikes.

Best wishes from Vienna!

a_DSC5374_zpsgbsiawox.jpg

a_DSC5375_zpsh0webkgu.jpg

a_DSC5376_zps7pjnugyu.jpg

a_DSC5377_zpscbgpdj5y.jpg

a_DSC5378_zpscyn1zrcl.jpg

a_DSC5379_zpswnlsnimv.jpg

a_DSC5380_zpsglybxxlg.jpg

a_DSC5381_zpsckmqa14x.jpg

a_DSC5382_zpsyemz7kcx.jpg

a_DSC5383_zpsvm6ffy1t.jpg

a_DSC5384_zps4yv7sowe.jpg

a_DSC5385_zpseav8rcww.jpg

a_DSC5387_zpsum7hwo57.jpg

a_DSC5388_zpsvw9krtdg.jpg

a_DSC5389_zpsu6saidlp.jpg

a_DSC5390_zpsmi06wbff.jpg

a_DSC5391_zpssm8g6miv.jpg

a_DSC5392_zpsi4xfmkqk.jpg

a_DSC5393_zpsix362qsh.jpg

a_DSC5394_zpswymltfx6.jpg

a_DSC5395_zpsxzgttdoy.jpg

a_DSC5396_zpsmgawwfkv.jpg

a_DSC5397_zpsoydxarf8.jpg

a_DSC5398_zpsxnptb5pi.jpga_DSC5399_zpsjdoo9m12.jpg

a_DSC5400_zpslihololn.jpg

a_DSC5401_zps52qwyozj.jpg

a_DSC5403_zpsm9e5dgvf.jpg

a_DSC5404_zps5fqkk4fi.jpg

a_DSC5405_zpslra4bice.jpg

a_DSC5406_zpsuvrreeqf.jpg

a_DSC5409_zpszsiyysao.jpg

Thanks for your interest!

Roman

• Like 37

Lovely model ,  I find this kit to be the best 72nd scale fighter from airfix - the panel lines are especially good . You did a very good job and that is a very attractive scheme :) 

That's really nice. Beautiful markings too. Maybe retouch the leading edges as the Alclad has worn off a bit? I have the same problem with AK Xtreme metal.

Which shade of blue did you use?

Hi Roman!!!

Congratulations for this nice Pony you have done here.

This kit really looks fine,  and cheaper than Tamiya. I like your nice build specially in the colourful way you did it, the weathering effects and the way the silver looks, a real fine and well done build, and thinking in that undercarriage legs state and watching there are two sets in the pack, was thinking in when I do mines, will invest in that aftermarket parts to have a secure built model in their three legs.  Well, now what do you think about a camouflaged one to balance your colourful shelves???

Thank you very much for sharing!!!

Cheers, 

Luis Alfonso

Edited by Luis Alfonso

On 21.5.2017 at 7:42 PM, IanC said:

That's really nice. Beautiful markings too. Maybe retouch the leading edges as the Alclad has worn off a bit? I have the same problem with AK Xtreme metal.

Which shade of blue did you use?

Thanks for your interest, Ian!

The color is Mr.Hobby Blue H5 with a drop of Light Blue H45 added for 'scale effect'.

5 hours ago, Luis Alfonso said:

Well, now what do you think about a camouflaged one to balance your colourful shelves???Luis Alfonso

Luis, indeed I have been contemplating about an Olive Drab Mustang, and this will be next ... from the Tamyia kit, as it contains the suitable markings.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Absolutely LOVE blue nose Mustangs (takes me back to my teens and the 1/24 version, which I ham-fisted together somehow) and yours is a superb example. Paintwork, weathering and finish are first class. I'm reluctant to ask the question and open a huge old can of worms...but panel lines on the wings; weren't they puttied and painted?!