boeing b-17 42-38206 Thundermug

gunpowder17

Reminds of me of Ridgewell's "Big Mike' that crashed on take off,ripped it left main gear off in a ditch on the airfield boundary and struck a tree.

Most wanted to write it off,but a bunch of guys worked on her in their spare time,including grafting on a new wing...which wasn't as easy as you think as the only one they had spare was from a early sub type and different manufacturer (B-17's were built by Boeing/Douglas and Lockheed-Vega) so much of the internal ducting,control lines etc were different from 'Big Mikes' undamaged wing...Eventually they got her back together again,renamed the plane Frenchy's Folly after the man who came up with the idea to fix the plane. She returned to combat status completing 70+ missions and survived the war only to cut up for scrap like so many other Fort's.

FRE_004847FRE_004846

media-413557

Edited by mungo1974
  • Like 2

The pic of the aircraft with "Big Mike" noseart appears to have most of the starboard wing missing, too.  The starboard inner engine fairing is present, complete with starboard main wheel, but the outer engine and wing panels are missing.  Looks like quite a mash-up to get her airworthy again.

• 4 months later...

I have seen numerous photos taken on operational USAAF stations where B17's are laid around and being used/stripped for spares . . . 

but,  I have NEVER seen the same scenario on RAF airfields where Halifaxes /Lancasters were stock piled for the same reasons.

Perhaps the RAF had a better(?) salvage organization in place ??

Can anybody explain this  . . .

Quite possibly the answer is as simple as the manufacturer support that was available to the overhaul facilities, many RAF bombers did cycle back to the manufacturer for repair and overhaul, you can see that in the movement and accident records.  With the B-17 and B-24 factories being back over the Atlantic there wasn't the same support available.

However, a more centralised facility within the UK would seem a sensible idea.  Maybe there was one, I don't know.

On 23/05/2017 at 11:28 PM, mungo1974 said:

No B-17 had its tail turret swapped at the factory. They built what the Army Air Corps had paid for,so even late block B-17's left the assembly line with the early tail turret, small observation nose windows etc... Everything else was done at mod centres like Cheyenne, new 'pumpkin' tail,Larger cheek gun windows and the latest style of waist windows,these mods came from a different pot of money.

h305-3 (1)

Mungo,

That is very interesting information.

I am aware of the Cheyenne mod. story but not about the other bits, particularly the waist windows.

Being a fan of the B-17, and not in possession of any printed sources with such information, would you be able to advise what the sources are?

Thanks,

Michael

Edited by Michael Enright

6 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

I have seen numerous photos taken on operational USAAF stations where B17's are laid around and being used/stripped for spares . . . 

but,  I have NEVER seen the same scenario on RAF airfields where Halifaxes /Lancasters were stock piled for the same reasons.

Perhaps the RAF had a better(?) salvage organization in place ??

Can anybody explain this  . . .

Short Stirlings were flown to RAF Bourn where Short Brothers had a repair facility called Sebro who repaired aircraft on the airfield for minor jobs and took them to the edge of Cambridge for more major repairs. Presumably anything non fly able was transported by road. Given Stirling squadron were originally based around Cambridgeshire it made sense to entrust repairs to the manufacturers 

edited for incompetent speeling

Edited by GordonM

Hi Gordon

thanks for your reply.

I am also aware that the RAF introduced the type 'B1' hangar with its high pitch roof, onto airfield for major works to be undertaken on heavy bombers, the high roof giving adequate clearance for gantry/crane work. B)

Ian

• 3 years later...

Thundermug arrived at Chelveston on 1 March 1944 and was lost 12 December 1944, when it was battle damaged over Mersberg. It force landed in Allied occupied territory and was scrapped.

Regarding to replacement of damaged parts: B-17-BO 42-30704 JJ-M Dinah Mite was used to pioneer the development of the Monroe Leaflet. She was written off on 15 May 1944, following damage from a Ju-88 night-fighter and ended her days as a hangar queen at Chelveston, being stripped of useful parts.