Mig-31 in 1/48.... what is available and what are the advantages of each.

SallysDad

I read there are a few of these kits available by different companies. Which companies make them? And could you help by reviewing accuracy of the kit, ease of build, and other such important information?

If this has been covered please simply direct me to the proper links here and elsewhere.

Thanks very much.

R

Hobbyboss and Avantgarde Model Kits (AMK) are the 2 that spring to mind. Both have been reviewed on Britmodeller if I am not mistaken. Both manufacturers now have 2 options available so you have choices as to which variant you can make.

Link to AMK review: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235001819-mig-31bbs-foxhound-148/

Link to Hobbyboss review: 

BlackMike Models has both the AMK versions and the original Hobbyboss kits in stock for anyone that is interested.

Duncan B

• Like 1

What us said above already!

If you want a very early Soviet Foxhound go for HB.

Else, AMK imho!

Both look good, are quite very accurate and build into impressive models!

AMK uses a very modern tooling approch that should ease your build. 

• Like 2

There is another alternative ,....... the early 1990s 1/48 Lindberg Kit which in a darkened , windowless room in the middle of a cloudy , moonless night with ones eyes closed while wearing really dark welders goggles is still pretty awful.

But more positively , further to the AMK kits there were later Special Editions released by the company both with the complete kits and as a standalone upgrade pack with revised decals including the window seals , white metal undercarriage and pitot tube , expanded etched metal set and yellowed clear cockpit canopy replacement parts as often seen on the actual aircraft after a few years in service.     I bought the pack on its own for the BM/BSM and compared with aftermarket prices from the usual sources it was very reasonably priced.

Edited by Des
  • Like 1