Fireball XL5 - The legendary Airfix kit + Resin copy FINISHED AT LAST

On ‎13‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:46 PM, Bobbins said:

Hello All

Just a little heads Up Comet miniatures or timeless hobbies as Tony now is is doing a limited run of the 8 inch resin Fireball xl5

I think its limited to 50

Hi Guys... Just read this thread. 

The 1/288 Fireball XL5 (ex Comet) now Timeless Hobbies, is from masters I made for Tony.   I recently refurbished the masters for the recent release.

• Like 3

Thanks for the information, stargazer.

Just a small update to the build.

Family stuff/Crimbo stuff got in the way so I still haven't gotten onto a photo site.

(I need one that is idiot proof for a start!)

I did however get a little while to get all that filler rubbed down. I think it's ready for primer now.

That should show any other imperfections that I've missed.

I drilled holes into the back of the booster rocket fairings on the rear of Junior.

Fireball junior has two small magnets to be glued to it's rear and there is a steel washer in the forward

part of the main fuselage. I used superglue. Fit the magnets one at a time and let the glue dry or

they will slide across to each other! I also fitted plastic card spacers under the magnets to place

them closer to the washer and so increase the attraction.

Pete

• Like 2

I have just spent the last hour at my sanding facility, (read shed). A 6 foot bench with a 2' x 5' sheet of 3/8" plate glass on top, with a sheet of 80 grit abrasive.

All my XL5 components are now sanded and prepared for assembly. Test fitting and checking of alignment to follow, alongside a large chunk of rather soft French plastic from everyone's favourite kitmaker.

• Like 1

That's more than I've managed to do in the last week.

Probably nothing to report next week either. Tsk.

Oh yes, have a look down the leading edge of your fin.

Mine had a slight kink about half an inch from the front.

I tried to straighten it with hot water but ended up breaking it. Tsk again.

The windows.. well I'm going to paint mine, they aren't that clear.

The side portholes were filled and I will use decals instead.

I have noticed the left rear fuselage is somewhat humped where the annular ribbing is. I took an 8" file to mine to get it close. It's going to take some careful assembly, and a bit of filler on every joint. I think a few shims of thin plastic from an ice cream tub as well.

• 2 weeks later...

Cheers, Gordon. I have a box of those already. All I need is a box of time to go with them.

This weekend I have all the Christmas decs to take down and get back into the attic,

plus wood chopping to do so that pretty much rules out Saturday, That's if I don't

end up taking my wife's car in for servicing as she isn't very well at the moment.

Sunday I'm off to a classic bike show in Newark with my Son, as he won tickets

for it from a local radio station. Monday, back to work. So that's another weekend gone.

I have no lack of mojo for modelling, I keep coming up with new projects, but I think

I need to subcontract them out at this rate!

On a good note, I have found a nice stand/base for the resin model. Tick, tick, tick, tsk!

It was free. I like free!

Her indoors got various candles in glass jars for Christmas.

One had a varnished circular wooden lid. It's mine now!

A length of dowel or metal in the middle will suit the model.

The original Airfix XL5 will be on an ancient clear plastic Airfix stand.

• 5 months later...

They are painted. (at last) Need to get the decals on and sealed.

They're not stalled, I just don't get much time and I do have another build on the go (ish).

Pete.. Your Avatar looks like the Romanian Tennis star Halep after her Serve was broken ….by Sharararpovarova

Edited by bzn20
  • Haha 1

Pictures....

I finally got a bit of time last night to get all my pictures off the camera and onto the laptop and resized.

This morning I'm up early (thanks to our neurotic dog) and took the plunge into imgur.

A bit of experimenting later (I'm not the best on computers) and voila!

(BTW, there's an 'embed' button. Not sure what to do with that one?)

This is the refurbished Airfix kit. (Humbrol tinlet to show the size) The replaced wingtip pod can be seen also.

So that has original 1960's paint on it. Not a bad job. I've kept it as is & it's on a display shelf.

CBUkt9G.jpg

And here we have the resin copy in all it's soapy glory. The decals are nice, They are home made however,

and I'm not sure how robust they will be. The half round ones are for the cockpit, Showing Steve & Venus.

Both models are painted now and I have to find time to decal them.

In the middle you might make out the canopy  & observation bubble. They are clear but full of bubbles.

Hence my choice of painting the windows. Also the washer and small magnets are there too.

nCl1qbJ.jpg

I hope these meet with approval at last.

I've done other pictures of recent kits to upload & will post them later.

• Like 6

I keep dabbling and coming back to the resin. I'm finding it hard work getting in all the crevices with putty and sanding. It will look fine when it's done, just fitting it around other projects and finding the right inclination. I have a nice mahogany base for the stand now.

• Like 1

Being based on the original, the resin also has it's faulty fits.

Mainly the rear engine cluster doesn't line up properly.

Both of mine took filler and lots of patience to get close

gkhRzEU.jpg

A wingtip pod rocket exhaust wasn't quite formed and I didn't have quite

the right size replacement tube so I drilled out & replaced them all.

The resin has some pinholes (well, mine did, so I filled them with superglue.

• Like 4

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for the likes, guys.

They are both now painted & I managed to find time to put the stripes in Fireball juniors fins at the weekend.

Be sure to cut to the decal as they're printed on white.

I used Revell softener and I think the front ends have curled over okay. Be sure to line up both sides too.

They are all mid fin, judged by eye.

Pictures soon, I promise.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

At last, the two juniors with fin stripes.

uUee0WK.jpg

They still need hatch decals and Fireball script on the sides.

I have a week off now so you never know, I might get some modelling time. Shock, horror!

• Like 3

And I did get a little done today.

But first, a message for those who have one of these...

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS!

Clever clogs here didn't. You can see in the picture above that I glued the wingtip pods on.

The INSTRUCTIONS say to apply the decals to them first. (And, ideally, decal the fins on Junior too).

Why? because the inner yellow scalloped decal is solid, which means I had to cut out a slot in it for the 'wing'.

Was this fun? go on, ask me... Grrr.

The decal is fairly substantial and took a lot of abuse. (and Revell softener) but it lost a little yellow ink in places with the handling.

Hopefully I can touch it up. I still have the other (resin) one to do.

Then I will add the outer scalloped pod decals and hopefully match them up at the leading edge.

The script & hatch decals for Junior are on transparent carrier film and went on nicely, thank you.

There are no hatch decals for the side rocket hatches but I'll forget about those this time. 

Pete

• Sad 1