This is somthing new for me an online building comp. Its over on the Mecha lounge here is the link and im sure there will some amazing builds in the GM vs Zaku comp.

http://mecha-lounge.com/index.php?board=20.0

So for my build im going for a 1/144 RGC-80 GM but the only kit available is a really old Bandai kit, its so old you need to glue it together and with not much in the way of details im going to try and bring it a little more up to date by bashing it with a HG GM kit, and when i say bashing i mean cutting to bits and stick back together ( well thats the plan).

Work so far.....

http://mecha-lounge.com/index.php

Edited by rockpopandchips
  • Like 2

Entery into comp.

20170428_130818_zpsvzdp5uzc.jpg

Test fitting the cut up body parts to see how big the gaps are and how much putty I'm going to need. All the white parts are from the old kit and everything else from the newer HG kit.

20170517_204813_zpsygzdwxld.jpg

20170517_204824_zpsnkafwf8k.jpg

• Like 3

Cutting up the legs of the GM and fitting to the old kit to give him some piston details and feet that can move a bit.

20170513_145106_zpsk6rxja0t.jpg

20170513_144206_zpslobnc5a4.jpg

And did similar thing to the arms, i did have to drill out fixing pionts for the poly caps in the leg and arms.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2017-5-24 at 6:59 PM, Hunter Rose said:

Sweet! Cool project Brian, i love watching old kits get an overhaul and what your doing so far looks nice

Cheers, im having some fun with this one.

So after a full week off building anything ( i was on holiday) its time to get cracking at this again, first up is the leg extension so he doesn't look so squot.

Cut of the top 4mm of the upper legs that i thought i had finished with glued in some pla plate and now im on with reshaping ready to fit the top section back on.

20170605_204050_zpsshnwtq1u.jpg

That is a beam saber holster on the side of the leg.

20170606_192137_zpseykeddzy.jpg

• Like 2

On 24/05/2017 at 10:36 AM, rockpopandchips said:

sprayed a bit of primer of these just to see if i have missed anything, just a few very small ruff spots to clean up but I very happy with it so far.

20170523_223543_zpshrnvsui1.jpg

And rightly so. It's the preparation stage that really makes the difference to the finished model. Sadly, it's the stage I'm too lazy that I struggle the most with... :winkgrin: Great work so far mate, I'm really enjoying this one.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, oileanach said:

And rightly so. It's the preparation stage that really makes the difference to the finished model. Sadly, it's the stage I'm too lazy that I struggle the most with... :winkgrin: Great work so far mate, I'm really enjoying this one.

Cheers man glad your enjoying it and i do get ahead of myself some times, last night i get fed up with trying to fit on LED to look like a mono eye i painted these.

20170610_123013_zpsev8gpmmh.jpg

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Whoa! How did I miss this? This is one of my dream projects. I'm surprised you didn't buy the 1/100 P-Bandai kit.

Yep, so an i, japan cool had a few in stock and i kick myself for not getting one, so im building this until i can find one at reasonable price.

Added some paint to the legs, so Im happy with the tan colour and they have had a first pass at weathering them, chipping next for those parts but Im not sure about the red/brown colour at the moment so they have stalled.

I think a clear red wash might do it or go back over with a light coat of the base hull red? Thoughts?

20170612_065854_zpsxfexgioz.jpg

• Like 2

I actually really like the red brown, think it goes well with the tan, but yeah if you want to brighten a bit and go more red another pass with the hull red will probably do it. 

Underside of the feet look cool too

• Like 1

I'm with Hunter- the hull red is a great match for the tan. I'd be inclined to use something to deepen the recesses- mahogany, panzer brown?- and something flatter to highlight the main part of the panels- possibly a scarlet/hull red mix?

Of course, in my mind's eye I'm seeing a sun bleached and quite worn walking tank. If you see a brighter, glossier and much better looked after machine you'd be as well ignoring the beardie in the cheap seats! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

10 hours ago, oileanach said:

I'm with Hunter- the hull red is a great match for the tan. I'd be inclined to use something to deepen the recesses- mahogany, panzer brown?- and something flatter to highlight the main part of the panels- possibly a scarlet/hull red mix?

Of course, in my mind's eye I'm seeing a sun bleached and quite worn walking tank. If you see a brighter, glossier and much better looked after machine you'd be as well ignoring the beardie in the cheap seats! :winkgrin:

That is exactly the look Im going for, I have been looking at lots of tank build on here and there really are some outstanding models. Thanks for the ideas I will give it a try.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Thud4444 said:

Just the generic EFFS stuff. I'm sure you know about these guys..

http://www.samueldecal.com

I was planning on adapting the GM White Dingo decals for my GM Cannon. 

Yep, cheers orded from him before. I think i will have to go with whats in the bix and few EFFS ones. A Dingo Cannon sounds like a great idea.

I have finally made my GM a mono eye im happy with. It was a bit of after thought so still not sure how im going to power it at the moment.

20170613_185416_zpsbfsbottz.jpg

• Like 2

I have now decided to use the GM shield but have removed the yellow star for a more basic look.

20170613_214035_zpsqzwqnskm.jpg

ignore the dark grey bit Im trying to find the sponge and a method I can use for chipping, I think I may have to go back to using salt or chipping fluid after this tempt. 

20170615_070728_zpsegv40rza.jpg

• Like 2

Had another go at the paint and much happier with it, went over with the base hull red and added a bit of earth drown in some spots. Thinking about the base as well.

20170615_194212_zpsqissd7wr.jpg

I might have to go over the top of the body again some lighter hull looking at this picture.

20170615_194241_zpsek34v3ba.jpg

• Like 2

This just keeps looking better and better.

latest?cb=20130405145407

With your impressive skills, I'm sure you could hand paint the knee pad decals. It isn't a complicated design. Everything else shouldn't be too hard to find. I had a buddy who used to hand draw designs on blank decal paper, seal them and then apply them to his models. You could go that route.

The P-Bandai kit came with the North American California base assault team markings. For such a unrepresented suit in kit form it has some great schemes. Lydo Wolf's scheme is especially sinister. 

320?cb=20120912170811

Are those just plain plastic sheet stock you're using to spruce up the armoured plate? For something so simple, it really adds so much to the final product. 

Edited by Thud4444
  • Like 1