Dragon - German PAK 38 - Eastern Front - 1/35

A great little dio.

I used talc back in the late 70's, for a snow build-up on a 8 tonne half-track,  but I must say that I would never use it again!

I think you've been lucky in that you seem to have sprinkled it on at the very last moment and haven't tried to 'work' it in any way. Talc is so soft (the softest of all minerals) that it smudges and acts as a polish. If you had tried to brush the talc around a bit, it would have created an almost gloss finish to your figures and your gun! And whatever you do, don't spill or spray water anywhere near it!

Having said that, I did also use talc to weather a Cylon Raider from Battlestar, powdering it and then brushing it hard to create a metallic sheen, and added streaks by removing talc residue with a damp brush... so talc does have its uses.

Rearguards

Badder

Edited by Badder

On 5/27/2017 at 5:08 PM, Badder said:

A great little dio.

I used talc back in the late 70's, for a snow build-up on a 8 tonne half-track,  but I must say that I would never use it again!

I think you've been lucky in that you seem to have sprinkled it on at the very last moment and haven't tried to 'work' it in any way. Talc is so soft (the softest of all minerals) that it smudges and acts as a polish. If you had tried to brush the talc around a bit, it would have created an almost gloss finish to your figures and your gun! And whatever you do, don't spill or spray water anywhere near it!

Having said that, I did also use talc to weather a Cylon Raider from Battlestar, powdering it and then brushing it hard to create a metallic sheen, and added streaks by removing talc residue with a damp brush... so talc does have its uses.

Rearguards

Badder

I tried to seal the powder in by spraying a matt coat but I just ended up with powder blowing around and off of the dio, so another drawback is that the talc is sitting loosely and is prone to be blown off or disturbed.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Tsar Bomba said:

I tried to seal the powder in by spraying a matt coat but I just ended up with powder blowing around and off of the dio, so another drawback is that the talc is sitting loosely and is prone to be blown off or disturbed.

Ah, right. Big problem then.... but if you take loads of photos, really good quality ones, you can keep them for posterity and maybe even get some big prints done.

I would suggest trying hairspray.... spray it over the dio and immediately sprinkle the talc over it. That will stick it in place... then you could seal it with airbrushed varnish. But I seem to remember that when I did that way back when, the hairspray discoloured the talc. Maybe some hairsprays don't do that. Test some out on some scrap sprues or something? Spray them and apply talc. Worth a try. For thicker layers of talc you can spray the can into a container and capture the lacquer, then brush that on the dio, add talc, let it dry, paint more lacquer on and more talc, and repeat until you have the depth you require..

Rearguards,

Badder

• 5 months later...

Looks good to me.

One thing I have done in the past for helmet straps is to stick some Tamiya tape on my bench, cut strips the width I want with a straight edge and then stick them on the figure head where needed.  It makes the strap raised a bit which looks good, but, most importantly, it makes it much easier to paint.

Matt

6 hours ago, Matt Parvis said:

Looks good to me.

One thing I have done in the past for helmet straps is to stick some Tamiya tape on my bench, cut strips the width I want with a straight edge and then stick them on the figure head where needed.  It makes the strap raised a bit which looks good, but, most importantly, it makes it much easier to paint.

Matt

Thanks Matt

The one thing that irks me are the helmet straps.

Definitely going to try your suggestion next time around.

Great work!

I'm hoping to complete my first WW2 diorama sometime this year.

I was just thinking, if the gun has been firing, would the barrel not be very hot and therefore there wouldnt be any snow present? Its just a thought bubble.

13 hours ago, Clogged said:

Great work!

I'm hoping to complete my first WW2 diorama sometime this year.

I was just thinking, if the gun has been firing, would the barrel not be very hot and therefore there wouldnt be any snow present? Its just a thought bubble.

Thanks Clogged

After lying in wait through the morning's snow a T-34 has been spotted by our sharp-eyed, binocular-wielding spotter.

"Tank! On the horizon!" he barks.

The crew swings into action, ready to load a shell and punch a hole through the approaching T-34...

In truth though, it was a bit difficult to get the talc to go where I wanted it to.

Seeing as there are no empty shells lying around the above is my plausible backstory to the dio.