English Electric DP1 'DELTIC'

nimrod54

Following a suggestion by @Mjwomack I have decided to have a go at a third build. If things go according to plan then I am hoping that I can complete them all. Kit sprue shots are below, lots of flash on the detail parts, so there will be plenty of cleaning up to do for a start. Wish me luck.  :doh::winkgrin:

DSC02052_zps84ft2i0e.jpg

DSC02053_zpsgop0z3p1.jpg

• Like 9

Plenty of moulding flash seems to be a reoccuring theme with these kits. Hope it doesn't affect the fit of parts too much.

• Like 1

I built one of these Dapol Deltics four years ago and it will be nice to see another one built.

Apart from warped and flash-heavy parts, the main problem I had was that the ends of the wheels/axles weren't able to fit securely inbetween the bogie sides. I can't remember if I added spacers to the centre of the axles or to the insides of the bogies.

Dave

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Mjwomack said:

... and maybe slightly mad

I resemble that remark MJ. :banghead:

19 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

I'm sure you can tame this beast dude.  Good luck. 

I'll give it a good go H, but I have got the whip and chair ready just in case it bites back. :winkgrin:

4 hours ago, Col. said:

Plenty of moulding flash seems to be a reoccuring theme with these kits. Hope it doesn't affect the fit of parts too much.

When the manufacturers instructions refer to the age of the kit (50 years) and the fact that some of the numbers may have changed over that time, then you know that you are in for an entertaining build. :)

3 hours ago, davecov said:

I built one of these Dapol Deltics four years ago and it will be nice to see another one built.

Apart from warped and flash-heavy parts, the main problem I had was that the ends of the wheels/axles weren't able to fit securely inbetween the bogie sides. I can't remember if I added spacers to the centre of the axles or to the insides of the bogies.

Dave

That's a fine result Dave, I will be more than happy if I can get it to that standard. Would you tell me what colour you used for the top and bogies/lower frame? It looks to be a good match for Light Aircraft Grey.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels/axles, I'll see about using some tubing to improve the fit. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, nimrod54 said:

That's a fine result Dave, I will be more than happy if I can get it to that standard. Would you tell me what colour you used for the top and bogies/lower frame? It looks to be a good match for Light Aircraft Grey.

Thanks for the heads up on the wheels/axles, I'll see about using some tubing to improve the fit. 

Thanks John.

Looking back at my WIP thread when I made the Deltic, I used H28 Matt Camouflage Grey for the roof and the bogies although I think it should have been painted in H111 Matt Field Grey. It seems that I didn't have any mooching around at the time and used H28!

BTW, here is a photo I took of the original when it was at the Science Museum around 1990 (click on picture for larger version):

deltic_01_500.jpg

Dave

• Like 2

Hi John,

I was wondering where the wings were meant to fit... until I saw the photo.

Now you are toying with the dark arts, as far as I am concerned! But never tell my wife that I have always been fascinated by locomotives. When I was a kid I fell in love with these big, ugly, brown ones that used to ply the Italian railroads... Not to mention the small French Michelines, yellow and red...

If Karen thought that I had a ppm of train spotting in me, I would be toast... But I will definitely follow this thread.

Have fun!!!

JR

• Like 1

Will you be using the decals from Fox Transfers do the cream lining and nose whiskers, or braving hand painting them?

Dad's had one of these part finished for the best part of a decade. Apparently it's a right can of worms regarding accuracy, wrong nose and windscreen shapes, bodyside windows in wrong places and other sorts of things either that either lead to drastic surgery, or to be ignored completely and built as Kitmaster intended!

• Like 1

Brought this one for my dad a few years back - With the suggestion that he used our old Lima Deltic to provide the chassis - Don't think he's got anywhere with it but then again he's taken to scratchbuilding 1920-30's Diesels and Railcars instead :crosseyed:

Will be good for me to make notes

Edited by Bonhoff
Pushed wrong button in excitement
  • Like 1

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 3:51 PM, davecov said:

Looking back at my WIP thread when I made the Deltic, I used H28 Matt Camouflage Grey for the roof and the bogies although I think it should have been painted in H111 Matt Field Grey. It seems that I didn't have any mooching around at the time and used H28!

Thanks for the paint hints Dave and also for sharing your photo. Both will be useful references. 

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 6:35 PM, jean said:

Now you are toying with the dark arts, as far as I am concerned! But never tell my wife that I have always been fascinated by locomotives. When I was a kid I fell in love with these big, ugly, brown ones that used to ply the Italian railroads... Not to mention the small French Michelines, yellow and red...

If Karen thought that I had a ppm of train spotting in me, I would be toast... But I will definitely follow this thread.

Have fun!!!

JR

And another closet railway fan reveals himself. :thumbsup: But there are no problems with Caron knowing about my fetish. After watching several programmes on the Travel Channel, we decided to spend our 25th Wedding Anniversary travelling around Switzerland by train. The scenery from the Glacier Express was stunning.

On ‎22‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 1:11 AM, snapper_city said:

Watching with interest.

Welcome aboard Mark, I hope that it keeps you entertained.

22 hours ago, Deve said:

Will you be using the decals from Fox Transfers do the cream lining and nose whiskers, or braving hand painting them?

Dad's had one of these part finished for the best part of a decade. Apparently it's a right can of worms regarding accuracy, wrong nose and windscreen shapes, bodyside windows in wrong places and other sorts of things either that either lead to drastic surgery, or to be ignored completely and built as Kitmaster intended!

Mine will be as Kitmaster intended, but there may be some small changes.

21 hours ago, Bonhoff said:

Brought this one for my dad a few years back - With the suggestion that he used our old Lima Deltic to provide the chassis - Don't think he's got anywhere with it but then again he's taken to scratchbuilding 1920-30's Diesels and Railcars instead :crosseyed:

Will be good for me to make notes

I have found some you-tube videos using the Lima chassis and it looks fairly straightforward, probably something I would have done had I been running OO gauge.

Your dad's scratchbuild projects sound like fun too. 

21 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

I have found some you-tube videos using the Lima chassis and it looks fairly straightforward, probably something I would have done had I been running OO gauge.

Your dad's scratchbuild projects sound like fun too. 

If you're not running 00 gauge, can I ask what gauge you do use - or do you simply make non-motorised models?

On ‎23‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 5:29 PM, FortyEighter said:

If you're not running 00 gauge, can I ask what gauge you do use - or do you simply make non-motorised models?

I have several Hornby Minitrix N gauge locomotives and a mix of Peco and Hornby Minitrix rolling stock, unfortunately they are all boxed up in the loft at the moment. But I did get a few items down last year and made this for the Vignette GB.

DSC01456_zpslwcqzm0m.jpg

DSC01449_zps9swqiixv.jpg

And this was my entry (non motorised) for last years Made in Britain GB, the first time I had done any form of railway modelling in 35+ years

DSC00691_zps7hpee9ds.jpg

DSC00689_zpszyaclt8b.jpg

• Like 4

I must reveal myself as another closet railway fan :D!

I love the Deltic.

My own model railway 'remains' are very different; N gauge vintage Fleischmann (Danish and German, Diesel and Electric), all packed away. I only have about five pieces of track and no transformer :confused:.

It will have to change, it really will...

Neverthless, I slways wanted a OO Deltic or DSB NOHAB. I had no idea loco kits existed (too much time spent with wings things).

I'm looking forward to following this with interest :).

Best regards

TonyT

• Like 1

Great subject! It was only recently I learned how the name was derived from the Napier engine configuration -bonkers, but 100mph+ in the early sixties...I guess it worked! 

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

I have finally made a start on this and, as highlighted by Dave in a previous post, one of the areas that needs to be addressed is the fit of the wheels between the frames.

On ‎21‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 11:37 AM, davecov said:

Apart from warped and flash-heavy parts, the main problem I had was that the ends of the wheels/axles weren't able to fit securely in between the bogie sides. I can't remember if I added spacers to the centre of the axles or to the insides of the bogies.

Dave

I punched out some circles of plastic using a hole punch and drilled out the centres. These were then glued between the axle centres taking care that the wheel space remained within gauge.

36894242386_71c96a4bb7_c.jpg

36912345122_cbd184695e_c.jpg

I then made a start on cleaning up the bogie frames by removing some of the larger lumps of plastic from the reverse side and sanding them flat, circled in the photos below with the original kit part at the top.

36912353882_37b31de6b0_c.jpg

36912351622_c574b300e7_c.jpg

In view of the time left before the group build ends I think that this will probably be a straight from the bag build with the exception of some Fox Decals and manufacturers plates.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Aeronut said:

I'm more at home with aircraft but aren't those half moon lumps you've removed meant to be the brake blocks?

:wall: You're quite right Aeronut, I had completely forgotten about the brakes. Fortunately I had only removed them from one side, but I will have to reinstate those details.

Following on from my blunder of removing the brakes from the rear of a side frame yesterday, I set about reinstating them this morning using some strip plastic and both bogies were then assembled

36706877680_a1b8869a31_c.jpg

36932633882_a1dfebfd20_c.jpg

36706874250_329d0eb60c_c.jpg

The primed cab floors and rear bulkheads were then added to the base in readiness for painting.

36932631352_72d7ecf71a_c.jpg

• Like 2

I've made a start on painting the cab interiors but have reached a standstill. I found a reference from The National Science and Industry Museum on RMWeb which lists the colour for the Front Bulkhead as Grey, but looking at photos this looks to be more of a beige-brown colour when compared to the cream walls. I am hoping that someone out there may be able to help to clear this up.

36732312580_a3c9f2c9e7_c.jpg

On a more positive note, the Fox decals that I ordered a couple of days ago arrived this morning. I also selected the pack that included the manufacturers plates. The photos look fuzzy because of the film used to protect the decals from being damaged.

36732311790_8a30b52b9d_c.jpg

36732311020_e166d87125_c.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

I am afraid that I will not make the deadline with this one, there is too much fettling to do to get things prepped for painting. I completed the cab details and added the sides last night.

37232725532_5d7d0ee20f_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr 

37232725112_122a017036_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

And this morning I added the cab fronts, this is where the extra work is needed to get things in a decent shape before I apply paint. I then followed up on this work with a test fit of the roof.

I have also picked up a set of vac-form windows so I had a test fit of some of those, the biggest issue I can foresee with them is fitting the round one in the door. 

37232723912_8d9721b155_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37232724302_a99f5a3398_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

37232726372_328b883864_c.jpg

by John Leigh, on Flickr

I am a little disappointed that I won't finish, but putting a positive spin on things the delay will allow me to add a little extra detail around the cab fronts.

• Like 2