Rlm underside colour for '44/'45 nightfighters

Lawzer

Hi folks,

I've got to the stage of paint on a bf110 nightfighter ( late 44).

it's a revell kit and it gives the flm colours for the tope side but not bottom.  When i bought the kit a few months back i bought some vallejo colours (after some searching) and inhave rlm76 - would this be the right colour (as i now can't find the info i based it on?

cheers and sorry if this has been asked 100 times befjore :)

ian

RLM 76 is what I would use.  

Note,  many of the them were  built with plain 74 uppers, and squiggle was added  at unit level.

note one black wing underside on this, and plain 74 uppers

Messerschmitt-Bf-110G-Zerstorer-NJG5-(C9

this one has 74/75 uppers on fuselage

eea1b467cc58530460bafb0612f91b9d.jpg

Bf 110 G-4 "3G+DR" of 7.Staffel/NJG 4. The photograph was taken in the summer of 1945 at Reims in France

8980752278_026e26a955_b.jpg

another view

17+Messerschmitt+Bf+110+wrecks+remains1.

there was  a  some colour film of a captured Bf 110 with green squiggle on the uppers,  and a pic of  a captured burnt out 110 showing the  plain 74 uppers really  well, IIRC, it's at a factory.

guess  whose putting off cutting more of the grass....

• Like 1

Thanks troy!

i thought it must have been the 76 as It's as yet unopened and i've used the other colours on a 109 and ju87.

btw - good luck with the mowing ;)

24 minutes ago, Troy Smith said:

RLM 76 is what I would use.  

Note,  many of the them were  built with plain 74 uppers, and squiggle was added  at unit level.

note one black wing underside on this, and plain 74 uppers

this one has 74/75 uppers on fuselage

eea1b467cc58530460bafb0612f91b9d.jpg

Bf 110 G-4 "3G+DR" of 7.Staffel/NJG 4. The photograph was taken in the summer of 1945 at Reims in France

8980752278_026e26a955_b.jpg

another view

17+Messerschmitt+Bf+110+wrecks+remains1.

there was  a  some colour film of a captured Bf 110 with green squiggle on the uppers,  and a pic of  a captured burnt out 110 showing the  plain 74 uppers really  well, IIRC, it's at a factory.

guess  whose putting off cutting more of the grass....

Hi Troy

Don't you mean RLM 75 for the plain upper surfaces?

Cheers

Randy

HI Randy

no, i did mean 74, graugrun,  but......

Though this  photo, in the Monogram Guide to painting German Aircraft, does list it as 75/76.....(having looked at the book just now..)

The image I'm thinking of is on one the Kookaburra Luftwaffe Camouflage and markings series, vol.3 IIRC

of a 110, with the centre section burnt  out,  and a couple of British soldiers,  (and it's older, so, maybe opinions have changed,and the book is elsewhere at the mo)

It's foolish to be too dogmatic on Luftwaffe colours, and I'm repeating analysis  I have read.... dang, where is the pic when you need it.

this is the image, but in b/w (or a very similar one )

Messerschmitt Bf 110G4 Zerstorer WNr 160790 Luther Plant Braunschweig Waggum May 1945 01

"Messerschmitt Bf 110G4 Zerstorer WNr 160790 Luther Plant Braunschweig Waggum May 1945"

Lawzer,  you may wish to ask specifically about the 110 you are planning,  if nothing else you may able to find a pic of the actual plane,

have a look here if the instructions say what unit

http://www.asisbiz.com/Bf-110.html

If nothing else there are lots of pics which are always useful.

• Like 2

I would suggest RLM75 as by this time RLM74 was being phased out. The colour and tone are about right too. Also, overall RLM 75 upper surface on Heinkel He219 with dense RLM76 squiggle (not RLM75 spots over RLM76 as in many older references - didn't the authors ever use their eyes?) and on Ju388, at least.

Cheers

GrahamB

5 hours ago, GrahamB said:

I would suggest RLM75 as by this time RLM74 was being phased out. The colour and tone are about right too. Also, overall RLM 75 upper surface on Heinkel He219 with dense RLM76 squiggle (not RLM75 spots over RLM76 as in many older references - didn't the authors ever use their eyes?) and on Ju388, at least.

Cheers

GrahamB

And on at least some Me 262 night fighters, if the memory of at least one of those who flew them is to be trusted. (Czypionka, described overall 'medium grey' with a 'light blue' squiggle/mottle)

Cheers

Steve

8 hours ago, GrahamB said:

Cheers

GrahamB

That painting procedure was also used on Ju 88 Gs, although the RLM 76 swatches (or squiggles if you like) were not usually as dense or regular as on the He 219.