1:16 1914 Dennis Fire Engine by Bandai FINISHED

Kallisti

So today is the day... and here is what I intend to build for this GB

DSC_6973.JPG

I picked this up about a year ago and had it in the stash since then, but when I opened the box I had a bit of a surprise...

DSC_7763.JPG

It appears I had started it some time ago, and it also explains why that blue metal bowl went that I've been looking for for ages! I've been trying to remember when I did this and it must have been later summer last year in between other builds and I seem to remember stopping when word of this GB popped up and this seemed to be a perfect entry for it. There is no way IMO that this is anything near 25% started so I believe its eligible. More detailed photos later about what's been done.

Anyway onto the rest of the sprues - there are lots of them!

DSC_7764.JPG

Here is a close up of the decal sheet, fingers crossed that these will be okay after all this time!

DSC_7765.JPG

Notice that the ladders have some damage - shouldn't be hard to fix

DSC_7766.JPG

Some rubber tyres which seem to be in good condition even with their age

DSC_7768.JPG

Some thread and rubber hose - whether it will be used is another matter

DSC_7769.JPG

This next photo contains various things, such as Hugh, Pew, Barney McGrew and Cuthbert. Dibble and Grubb appear to have got themselves lost...

DSC_7772.JPG

The white sprues are the ones that USED to be silver or brass until they got the overnight Mr Muscle treatment to get rid of that rubbish. There are still some remnants around the outer sprue. This kit when I got it from eBay didn't have instructions, however I found a site which had scans of the instructions so I've printed them out. Finally in the bottom left is the work that has already been done... lets look at that in more detail...

First is the chassis 

DSC_7773.JPG

This represents 3 constructions steps out of 51 in the instructions, then some other bits, incuding the clutch assembly which has been painted with XF 84 Dark Iron

DSC_7774.JPG

Then some other assorted bits that used to be brass or silver, I've no idea what these are, I'll have to investigate in the instructions!

DSC_7775.JPG

Finally is the engine and elements of the transmission, much of which was originally silver or brass

DSC_7776.JPG

This represents about 7 steps in the 51 step instructions, and then of course there is the painting that will be required, so you can understand why I don't think this is anywhere near 25% complete :)

I'll start this when I've got my current Mosquito and Hurricane builds done and dusted, soon I hope :)

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 6

10 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

If this turns out as well your Showmans Engine did, then it should be a beauty. 

My thoughts exactly :) The included figures add an extra measure of interest for me as well.

I'm along for the ride here. I built one of these for my Dad many years ago (he's a retired fire-fighter). Mine however was straight out of the box with little paint (just the colour of the plastic). Looking forward to seeing this come together :)

• 4 weeks later...

Finally, I can return to this build having sorted out the Hurricane IIc and Babylon 5 Destroyer etc

If you can remember back to my earlier post, you saw the engine components looking like this

DSC_7776.JPG

Well the paint has gone on and they have been transformed:

DSC_8035.JPG

DSC_8036.JPG

DSC_8037.JPG

Here I am in the process of adding the cables to the spark plugs from the distributor

DSC_8038.JPG

The basic chassis has been primered ready for red paint

DSC_8039.JPG

Bit more on the engine

DSC_8040.JPG

Since those were taken, I've added a dirt wash to make it a little less pristine :)

DSC_8041.JPG

DSC_8042.JPG

DSC_8043.JPG

DSC_8044.JPG

Today I'll be painting the chassis red and then assembling the engine and drive train into the chassis

• Like 5

So with the weather sunny and brilliant, what better time to spend a while in the shed painting :)

The chassis has been painted in XF-7 Red, and dirtied with Flory wash. Then the engine, clutch and gearbox were assembled into the chassis

DSC_8046.JPG

and the underside

DSC_8047.JPG

Next is to add the rear axle, you can see the flanges for that on the cutting mat on the right.

• Like 3

With the sad news today of the death of Brian Cant, I'd like to dedicate this build to the memory of the voice of "Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"

• Like 4

Further progress, some of the platforms are moulded in white plastic. From the pictures I've found these tend to look like steel plates, so I'm going to try to do an effect on them. To start with, they look like this

DSC_8048.JPG

They have now been painted with X-11 and given an iniital coat of Klear

DSC_8054.JPG

They will next get a coat of hairspray...

Next is some of the brass and steel work for the bonnet and other fittings. First, having been primered with Alclad gloss primer

DSC_8050.JPG

Next with Alclad Polished Brass and Dark Aluminium

DSC_8053.JPG

More later...

• Like 3

looking very good so far Mr P - looking forward to seeing it completed - and perhaps to further extend your tribute to Brain Cant, perhaps you could add a Trumpton Crew as a token of remembrance

On 6/19/2017 at 8:34 PM, Kallisti said:

With the sad news today of the death of Brian Cant, I'd like to dedicate this build to the memory of the voice of "Hugh, Pugh, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub"

I love the clip. It brings backs some memories - but I'm pretty sure its -"PUGH, PUGH, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.  I don't want to be controversial - but they're twins aren't they?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Dave.

12 minutes ago, Dave_R said:

I love the clip. It brings backs some memories - but I'm pretty sure its -"PUGH, PUGH, Barney McGrew, Cuthbert, Dibble, Grub.  I don't want to be controversial - but they're twins aren't they?

Nostalgia ain't what it used to be.

Dave.

You are correct Sir ;)

This week has been slow, steady progress. Most of the work has centred around this assembly, which is the pump at the rear of the appliance

DSC_8057.JPG

There are approximately 40 parts in this assembly and each one had to be sanded for sprue attachment, mould lines, ejector pin marks, sink marks and flash - this should be said for the whole kit to be honest! Its incredibly slow and laborious work. Then added to the painting - the brass and aluminium are Alclad so you can understand how long that takes to apply nicely - I ALWAYS leave at least 24 hours between applying the gloss base coat and the metallic finish.

From another angle

DSC_8058.JPG

You'll notice that on the left pipework I've used gloss red while on the central one its still matt. I'm going to use the glass black on most of the outer facing red parts and keep the matt red for the inner chassis and areas that have been well used, worn or left exposed.

In my last post you'll remember I started on the standing panels, well these have had their hairspray layer and mettalic grey overcoat. I then decide to make them look a bit fancier after I saw some photos of the real thing

DSC_8059.JPG

I've put ALclad Polished brass on the edges You'll notice some of the earlier panels are missing, well thats because they;ve now been fitted...

DSC_8060.JPG

You can see the pump gearbox here as well which has been connected to the drive train by this long spindle

DSC_8061.JPG

Here is what it all looks like now

DSC_8062.JPG

and finally, the pump itself has been attached to the rear of the chassis

DSC_8063.JPG

Still lots more sanding, filling and painting to go...

• Like 6

Following on from the last photo, here is what will sit in the brass rings on the rear platform

DSC_8075.JPG

Next was to build the spotlghts that are attached to the cabin front bulkhead - these are built up from a conical rear piece a transparent lens and a front ring to hold the lens in place. It turns out that there is one piece missing from the kit and it was one of these lenses! In the end I cut out two appropriately sized disks from a transparent acrylic sheet and replaced the missing and existing lens to keep them looking the same 

DSC_8074.JPG

The brass was painted on as a guide as the joint between the base and rim is pretty bad so had to be sanded and filled. I put maskol over the lens to protect is and then its been through a repaint stag and it just had the brass paint reapplied this morning. Next, the radiator was assembled with the brass frame and attached to the chassis

DSC_8076.JPG

DSC_8077.JPG

DSC_8078.JPG

There has been quite a lot done since I took these pics - I'll try to do another update later. Its very slow painting these pieces - each Alclad piece is left for 24-48 hours after the gloss base coat to fully cure before doing the metallic overcoat, so there are a lot of gaps in the build process...

• Like 4

So this weekend I got the horn... no not that, goodness me you lot have filthy minds, but this...

DSC_8084.JPG

I also started work on some wooden wheels ,

DSC_8081.JPG

These were given their first coat of brown, which will be washed and dry-brushed to look more like wood. This will use useful practice for when it comes to the ladder later...

The vehicle side panels and mudguards were also given another coat of red in preparation for masking to paint the lining on which is the raised shape around the outer edge. I'll leave the paint a few days to dry before sticking any masking tape on to try to prevent the surface from going manky.

DSC_8082.JPG

Then it was time to start work on the hoses. This was something I was not looking forward to as these are ribbed and come in two halves, which means the joint is going to be a NIGHTMARE to fix! In the following photo, all have been photographed with the joint facing the ca,era. The bottom one has been sanded and has come up quite well - however this basically took a whole evening to do! The other two have not been dealt with yet and you can see how bad the join is!

DSC_8080.JPG

Finally, the cross I have hung on my back,,, the water filter! This comes in two halves with a poor joint, and moulded on rings that are meant to represent the holes for the water filter... so guess who decided to drill out all the bloody holes??????

DSC_8079.JPG

There are HUNDREDS (okay maybe a slight exaggeration) and the progress you see took about 30 mins of drilling to get two rows done. There are 12 rows still to do :(

See you in a few days if I haven't lost my mind in the meantime...

Edited by Kallisti
  • Like 7

Its been a quiet week, not a lot happened during the week due to pressure of work :( However this weekend has seen some good progress, with an enjoyable couple of days modelling while listening to Test Match Special and the England cricket team giving the South Africans a bloody nose! First to show is the mudguards which were masked and the decorative linings painted

DSC_8088.JPG

Next, some more details added, including the steering column

DSC_8089.JPG

Pipes added to the rear, waiting for the rear control panel 

DSC_8090.JPG

Hadlamps, horn and bell ready to attachment

DSC_8095.JPG

The rear "box" has been assembled and the opening panel detail picked out using gold paint. I'm going to give this an oil paint wash to pick out the detail in the panels

DSC_8096.JPG

DSC_8097.JPG

Finally, a huge amount of work has been done on the wheels, including picking out the embossed writing on the tyres in white, painting the hubs and picking out the bolts, dirtying the tyres and hubs plus brass bosses and general weathering

DSC_8099.JPG

Insides

DSC_8100.JPG

I still feel like I'm a long way from finishing this... lots of work still to do, eg the ladder and the figures!! I've also run out of Alclad Polished Brass!! OMG its a disaster!!!

• Like 4

Last of the work yesterday was putting the wheels and bonnet plus other details onto the chassis - its really beginning to look the part now!

DSC_8103.JPG

DSC_8101.JPG

DSC_8102.JPG

DSC_8105.JPG

DSC_8106.JPG

DSC_8107.JPG

DSC_8108.JPG

DSC_8109.JPG

DSC_8110.JPG

• Like 7

Big jump forward today, with the addition of the side mudguard and running boards and the central box

DSC_8203.JPG

Now can anyone spot my - ahem - deliberate mistake? Yes, I've put the mudguards on the wrong way round! I didn't notice it until a while ago and had to take them off and reattachem them the right way around, like this:

DSC_8217.JPG

What you might also notice is that the driver's seat has now been added along with the hose brackets and the long hose with the filter. The other side looks like this

DSC_8211.JPG

Front wing looks much better now!

DSC_8213.JPG

Rear wheel arch before addition of hoses

DSC_8214.JPG

with hoses

DSC_8215.JPG

Rear hose filter needs some weathering, I'm sure this got a bit dirty

DSC_8218.JPG

Driver's seat showing wear and most importantly the bell has been added.

DSC_8219.JPG

Rear view showing pump dials and controls and connection hoses

DSC_8222.JPG

Brass ladder frame - I actually ran out of Alclad Brass earlier in the week but picked up some Mr Metal Color Brass at the Romsey show yesterday so had a go with it on paintbrush and airbrush - I was VERY impressed with the results, much easier to use than Alclad! I may be a convert...

Next is to work on the ladders, but I'm finding the mould lines, sink marks and ejector pins mean a very depressing amount of work is going to be needed :( 

• Like 9