resin which primer to avoid oils coming through in time ?

Merlin

Hi,

Resin has oils inherent in the stuff, which will leach through paint, so I hear, so even if given a good scrub with fairy liquid then sprayed with e.g. Halfords grey primer, in time it will show, it is said.

Has anyone experience of this ?

Resin primers are few and far between, so is there really a need for a dedicated resin primer ?

Mr Hobby do one in a jar and one in an aerosol. I see a thread on someone struggling to thin and spray the jar version.

No other paint manufacturer has ever bothered with making a resin primer, as far as I know, model shops dont stock such, even the automotive shops sell resin and gauze but no resin primer ....your thoughts please.

What is best way to primer resin to receive Hycote 'double acrylic concentrated' rattle can paint, then cellulose on top of that, for a car.

Merlin

If resin weeps liquids/oils it had gone off or wasn't mixed properly. This happens every now and then, but it is really a production error and should have been thrown out.

Resin parts have some degree of surface residue from mould release producs or the surface of the mould itself but that should be washed/rubbed off before glueing and painting and wouldn't come back.

J

• Like 1

Mr Hobby Primer Surfacer is suggested now for Resin, but at £20 for one can in the tnt dpd etc delivery system because Royal Mail have gone silly mode,  its a no go.

Will have to be Halfords and save £15.

Halfords Plastic primer or standard primer for resin, does it make any difference ? Is the plastic primer better suited to resins ?

Merlin