LEGO's NASA Apollo Saturn V - Real Space Modeling for Kids

Hello everybody,

attention please for all parents and grandads who want to surprise their children and grandchildren. schlaumeier.gif

LEGO's countdown for its NASA Apollo Saturn V model set is running ...

The most powerful rocket ever flown will go on sale on June 1st, the set is approx. 1:110 and costs 119.99 EUR. eek.gif

index.php?action=dlattach;topic=40487.0;

Based on a fan submission to LEGO Ideas by Felix Stiessen and Valérie Roche (saabfan and whatsuptoday on the Lego Ideas website) , the 1.969 piece moon rocket stands more than 3 feet tall when assembled and can be separated into its stages. The set also includes microfigures to scale with the Saturn V, a lunar surface and an ocean surface to display liftoff to landing to present.

002.jpg

Source: collectspace.com

The two LEGO freaks first proposed their Saturn V in 2014. The project received its 10.000th vote in November 2015, qualifying for it for a review by Lego's professional design team. Finally their set was given the "go" to launch as an official product seven months later. speak_cool.gif

After it was approved, the LEGO design team, Michael Psiaki and Carl Thomas Mirriam, took over the project, in order to ensure it lived up to LEGO quality standards.

jNcZME.jpg

Source: shop.lego.com

003.jpg 004.jpg

Source: collectspace.com

Although recommended for kids from 14+, I think that my grandson Max with 12 will also create this awesome model, especially since the kit next to the 12 bulging bags also contains a superbly illustrated construction manual (182 pages), top.gif

34436718171_4c4fea38cd_c.jpg?w=625&ssl=1

Source: brothers-brick.com

otherwise the grandpa must help. up040577.gif

• Like 13

I fully agree with you guys! :penguin:

Hello LEGO Fans,

here is still a brief retrospect about the genesis of this great project of the two LEGO Freaks Felix Stiessen & Valérie Roche, (saabfan & whatsuptoday on the LEGO Ideas website), which Felix (Saabfan) described in this e-book. 8)

3P00Gt.jpg

BTW, it is interesting to find in his approach that he first designed the Lunar Module as small as possible with the Lego Digital Designer (LDD), and then has built the rocket simply around it.  speak_cool.gif

Although the two LEGO fans have apparently never met personally, it must have been an awesome long-distance cooperation, which has finally led this project to success. 

And as one can see, much more details were planned, especially to the interior of the rocket (fuel tanks etc.), which unfortunately have not been realized by the LEGO designers Michael Psiaki & Carl Thomas Mirriam. huh.gif

yh0AnR.jpg
Source: shop.lego.com

In addition, the LUT & Mobile Launcher (2902 parts) and Crawler (1373 parts) had also been designed already, which could possibly still come, if the Saturn V might successfully conquer the market ... top.gif

Xgachu.jpg
Source: flickr.com (saabfan2013)

Let's wait and see ... up040577.gif

• Like 3

Hello LEGO Saturn V Fans,

in NASASpaceFlight Forum I came across a contribution by Simon Bradshaw (major_clanger), a lucky fan who got the kit in advance last Saturday via John Lewis (UK department store chain) who had it available for online order. analintruder.gif

i9BiB9.jpg
Source: major-clanger.dreamwidth.org

Over the weekend he spent about 6 hours for building it. speak_cool.gif

Here he has presented his build with a lot of awesome photos.

He is enthusiastic and said inter alia about this kit:

"It's an amazing kit. Within the limits of what you can achieve with Lego, it's remarkably accurate. It's also very impressive - not only is it huge (about 1:110 scale) but it's very solid." 

See you thursday ... up040577.gif

• Like 1

Hello everybody,

yep, with the Saturn 5 LEGO has obviously hit the bull's eye. eek.gif

I have already ordered it yesterday, should come in the next days. up040577.gif

And this is Felix Stiessen, one of the two fan designers of the LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V, at the signing event at the LEGO Store in Shopping City Süd located in Vienna, Austria. 

2998299-o_1bhc6thcg8sl1rp31nuiave73ta.jp
Source: ideas.lego.com

Thanks and congratulation Felix!!! 00003423.gif

• Like 2

Hello friends,

since most probably have yet to wait for the kit, here already the grandiose building instruction (33 MB), which is now also available online. yikes.gif

SZ8rG2.jpg

Well then have a lot of fun with the dry run. up040577.gif

I fully agree with you,

Today finally came the birthday gift for my grandson Max, which I bought on May 31st, who will surely be in for a surprise.  yahoo.gif

14pkXs.jpg

But do not worry, the box remains closed, up040577.gif because I will not be distracted from my MLP. i5684_no2.gif

• Like 3

• 3 weeks later...

Hello friends,

Jason Allemann already has an upgrade of the LEGO-Saturn V by means of illuminated engines, combined with the corresponding sound of Apollo missions countdown, by which the start can be simulated playfully, but quite impressively. speak_cool.gif

Okay, the Saturn V is not standing on the Mobile launcher, but at least on a custom-made stand as a Launch platform.  8)

saturnVPlatform-768x480.jpg
Source: jkbrickworks.com

There is also a short presentation of the Making-of with a PDF for the stand construction. up045518.gif

Ideas one must have! up040577.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

Hello LUT Fans,

after the successful takeoff of LEGO NASA Apollo Saturn V,  Valerie Roche (Whatsuptoday) and Emmanuel Urquieta (Spacemd) presented their new collaborative project, which is the ideal stand at 1/110 scale to complete LEGO Set 21309! up045518.gif

up058359.jpg

Meanwhile the 5.000 hurdle has now been skipped!!! speak_cool.gif

This thing will also run through, betting, that? up040577.gif

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
On 20.5.2017 at 1:01 PM, roma847 said:

Although recommended for kids from 14+, I think that my grandson Max with 12 will also create this awesome model, especially since the kit next to the 12 bulging bags also contains a superbly illustrated construction manual (182 pages), top.gif

34436718171_4c4fea38cd_c.jpg?w=625&ssl=1

Source: brothers-brick.com

otherwise the grandpa must help. up040577.gif

Hello everybody,

my Grandson Max had a lot of fun with this kit, yahoo.gif

c5hTQH.jpg

as one can see, speak_cool.gif

0pRGcc.jpg

and he did not need any help, whereupon his Grandpa is very proud. up040577.gif

• Like 4

• 3 months later...

Hello everybody,

short and painless: Project Not Approved

Unfortunately, the   LEGO Review Board decided that this project will not be produced as a set, as I myself, too, just because of my grandson Max, who will surely be sad ... : '(

But somehow one can understand the decision quite a bit, because this LUT is just too complex.up040577.gif

• Sad 1

• 2 months later...

Hey everyone,

here's a stunning Time-lapse Video of a LEGO freak who has set to work ...  cant-believe-my-eyes-smiley-emoticon.gif

but beware friends: Addictiveness !!! eek.gif

One needs only approx. 4.600 bricks, and in the answers one finds estimates for the price (Robert Feiner), which amounts to approx. 1.300 EUR. erschrocken3.gif

BTW, the ingenious designer of this LEGO-LUT is  Bailey Fullarton, who should not remain unmentioned. bow.gifbow.gif

And here is a suitable photo from a contribution by Simon Wiens, who has also built this awesome display. 

29595372_10155919698886858_7978677938905

• Like 1