Riding on the back of my last build ( RB.57E )  I'm going to do the same with the PR.3. So starting with the Airfix B.57 fuselage, wings, tail and rudder from the old Airfix B(I)6, parts from the Italeri B.57, Matchbox PR.9 and Aeroclub's brilliant replacement nose correction set plus some other resin bits.

So to start, the components. As with the B.57 I'm planing to re scribe all the detail, so that should be fun! I may open the flair bay too but I've not decided that yet or indeed what colour scheme she's going to end up in.

Untitled_zpsnqc4bb5f.jpg

Edited by canberra kid
photo didn't lode
  • Like 15

Well that all sounds perfectly straightforward: I think?

Martian, Losing the plot before it has even started.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Martian Hale said:

Well that all sounds perfectly straightforward: I think?

Martian, Losing the plot before it has even started.

Yes that's what I thought too Martian :)

58 minutes ago, Hamden said:

Another Canberra master class Looking forward to watching this materialize 

Roger

We'll see Roger, I hope I can pull it off, in theory it shouldn't be any harder than the RB.57E build :)

44 minutes ago, 71chally said:

sounds good John, why the B-57 fuselage though?

4 minutes ago, limeypilot said:

I'm along for this one too. Also curious as to why you chose the B-57 fuselage.

Ian

I was going to flag that up when I'd started the build proper, but seeing as you've asked. When Airfix/Palitoy made the mad decision to destroy the B(I)6 tool and deprive us of the only B.2/B.6 Canberra kit and reincarnate it as a lees than good B.57, they some how decided to make the fuselage the same length as the PR Canberra's with the length added in the right place too, aft of the nose wheel well, also the way the they did the bomb bay, skinned over in the closed position means I don't have to try to get a seamless fit of the full length B(I)6 bomb doors and as I would be replacing the kit nose anyway the fact it's a B.57 or B(I)6 makes no difference. The only thing I need to do is fill the fuselage side dive brakes, a much easier proposition. 

John   

• Like 6

Jeez, Louise, John- you sure know how to have fun! Pulling up a chair, as you UK guys like to say, to watch this one. (Do we get 3 hours post-graduate  credit for the  Modeling a Decent Canberra  class you're about to convene?)  Scheme? Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

• Like 2

A recon Canberra + Aeroclub goodness = Happy Baron.

Nice one John - best of luck with what I know will be an enjoyable and educational experience for us watchers.

Tony

• Like 1

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

Jeez, Louise, John- you sure know how to have fun! Pulling up a chair, as you UK guys like to say, to watch this one. (Do we get 3 hours post-graduate  credit for the  Modeling a Decent Canberra  class you're about to convene?)  Scheme? Can't wait to see the finished product!

Mike

I hope it's going to be worth the class time Mike, I now know which PR.3 I'm building, she will be WE146. A very interesting Canberra indeed, but aren't they all! :)

2 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

Looking forward to this one John, notebook in hand.

I hope I don't disappoint Cookie

2 hours ago, exdraken said:

Nice project!

I'm hoping it works out ok.

1 hour ago, TheBaron said:

A recon Canberra + Aeroclub goodness = Happy Baron.

Nice one John - best of luck with what I know will be an enjoyable and educational experience for us watchers.

Tony

Thanks Tony, you can't go wrong with a bit of Aeroclub in the mix, this should be fun and I'm hoping a bit more straightforward than the RB.57E

John  

• Like 2

And so it begins, as with the B.57 I'm starting with the wings, the first surprise is they aren't too bad they have a few fictional lines and some missing. I've needed to add some extra panels to backdate it to the B.2/PR.3 configuration, I've drawn the new ones in in pencil, I hope you can make out the origanel Airfix detail and my lines. I've also scribbled out the fictitious lines.

2_zpstmiddzez.jpg  

John

• Like 6

Do you build anything but canberras, Canberra Kid?

Martian and Stephen, Losing the plot before it has even started.

I would like to build a B57, but I don't think it is possible to obtain all the necessary kits to make a start.

Stephen

• Like 1

1 hour ago, stevehnz said:

Right ( I think) I'll be taking a squizzey at this in the hope of learning some more Canberra lore. I think I got the bit about why using the B-57 fuselage. :)

Steve.

I hope it becomes crystal when I start the conversation Steve :)

1 hour ago, caseyjones said:

Do you build anything but canberras, Canberra Kid?

Martian and Stephen, Losing the plot before it has even started.

I would like to build a B57, but I don't think it is possible to obtain all the necessary kits to make a start.

Stephen

I do build other things Stephen, but not as often as I'd like and when I do it tends to be Warton and Samlesbury products :) there are enough Canberra conundrums to keep me going for some time yet. If you want a B.57 in 1/72 the Italeri does look like a B.57 (ish) out of the box I have another 10 or so and I can't see me going to the lengths of my last build. If you want one in 1/48 the Classic Airframes is the best bet but again the Airfix kit with a small amount of tweaking can look the part.

John  

• Like 2

21 hours ago, canberra kid said:

I was going to flag that up when I'd started the build proper, but seeing as you've asked. When Airfix/Palitoy made the mad decision to destroy the B(I)6 tool and deprive us of the only B.2/B.6 Canberra kit and reincarnate it as a lees than good B.57, they some how decided to make the fuselage the same length as the PR Canberra's with the length added in the right place too, aft of the nose wheel well, also the way the they did the bomb bay, skinned over in the closed position means I don't have to try to get a seamless fit of the full length B(I)6 bomb doors and as I would be replacing the kit nose anyway the fact it's a B.57 or B(I)6 makes no difference. The only thing I need to do is fill the fuselage side dive brakes, a much easier proposition. 

Genius, that is why I am now on board John.

• Like 1

Hello,John - Wow! You're launching these jets faster than the Nimitz!😀

I'll also say good luck with this one.Not that you'll need it,of course.

🍻😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Head in the clouds. said:

Genius, that is why I am now on board John.

Good to have you with us HitC 

1 hour ago, mcdonnell said:

Hello,John - Wow! You're launching these jets faster than the Nimitz!😀

I'll also say good luck with this one.Not that you'll need it,of course.

🍻😉👍 All the very best,Paul.

I thought I'd strike whilst the iron is still hot, but I'm still doing the Nimrod work :) 

John

• Like 2

more Cranberryness from John - excellent!  I can watch the artistry without thinking " there's another one I should be getting around to....." ^_^

• Like 1

20 hours ago, cashman said:

more Cranberryness from John - excellent!  I can watch the artistry without thinking " there's another one I should be getting around to....." ^_^

Thanks @cashman you don't have to build a Canberra, but you know your really want to :)

John

John

yes I do - knee deep in a 1/48th WB-57 even as we speak.........

The PR.9 is calling as well....   must resist :lalala:

• Like 1

I've decided to try a bit more parts swapping, I'm not sure if this will make the job easier or more tricky, but I'm going to add the fuel tank and flair bay part from the Airfix PR.9 rather than scribing the detail onto the B.57 fuselage. The way Airfix have done this part you can't use it for and early configuration PR.9 out of the box, which is a shame as they include this as an option. The only thing you can do is a very careful filling job or cut the two bays into three parts and reassemble them, but even saying that it's still going to need a bit of filling but not as much, anyway this is what I've done. 

First the parts as they come, which is fine for a mid to late PR.9, but not an early one. 

4_zpsqo041cy6.jpg

Now if I was using the parts for an early fit PR.9 I'd remove the aft part with the three camera windows and the front part with the two windows and transpose them to the fuel tank and flare bay from the on the right. But for my build the IRLS window at the front fits in better with what I want to build. If I was building a standard PR.3 or PR.7 I couldn't use either one without modification.  

5_zpsncv68nwb.jpg

I've had to add a sliver of of plastic card to replace he length lost with cutting. 

6_zpscpocyvck.jpg

Next up the scary bit, cutting the fuselage to accommodate the new bay. Let the fun begin!

7_zps9afikjnv.jpg

John  

• Like 6