HR Models Hanriot HD-2 1/72nd scale...

For your perusal...HR Models Hanriot HD-2 floatplane.  This was a nice little kit but needed a certain amount of TLC and skill to build.  The instructions were rudimentary but sufficient and I ended up using plenty of on-line sources for the rigging, alternative views and weathering.  I love making early floatplanes and aside from this kit (and others from HR), the Roden Albatros W-4s, and a couple of other more obscure kits, there aren't a lot out there in this scale.  The rigging is a mix of .004 fishing line ( which means a lot of drilling!) and some stretched sprue for the little bits.  Paints are all Vallejo and the decals are OOB, as is the build.  33925260754_9da2cb0f8a_z_d.jpg

33925260344_73647e1b5d_z_d.jpg

--JDCM

• Like 18

Nicely done!

I also build almost exclusively WWI and have done a couple of floatplanes so far.. Namely the Aeroclub Short 184 and Eduard Sopwith Baby, which needed a lot of work but came out pretty nicely.

Ian

Ha!  The Eduard Sopwith Baby...I built it, finished it, admired it as a job well done and realized I had mounted the pontoons back-to-front!  Damn!  Now I think I have to gently remove them using acetone, clean them up, remount and maybe even re-rig the landing gear.  Still, with all the work needed to make the kit come alive I enjoyed building it.  It reminds me that once Eduard made interesting kits without the fine precision molding they use today and their photo etched brass was equally clumsy.  I haven't made the Short yet.  Perhaps I should!  I think the Aeroclub kit is almost impossible to find these days but Karaya makes a resin kit of the 830 and 827, I think.

• Like 1

That's a terrific looking Hanriot.  A simple but very attractive scheme.  Great work on the rigging.  I have the HR Pup in my stash and it looks like a very nice kit.  I quite fancy a Hanriot too as it is a bit of an overlooked type despite being an important aircraft for the Belgians and Italians in particular.  

Great to see one of these - both the kit and the type represented. That is beautifully finished and rigged.

I converted an old Airfix Camel to a Hanriot very many years ago from an article in Airfix Magazine. If I were doing that today I would mount it on floats!

P