1/144 - Lockheed C-5B & M (Super) Galaxy by Roden - C-5B & C-5M released - upgrade sets by Metallic Details

Homebee

2 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I'm still really struggling to see how this is nearly twice the price of the 1:48 GWH F-15C I picked up the other day. The F-15 is an expensive kit but I'll let that go as it's a good scale and the kit looks exquisite. Dont get me wrong I love Roden, the subjects and the kits they make but they are all a bit rough around the edges. Well at least all the ones I have in the stash. I simply can't see that they have became a triple 'A' manufacturer overnight. Even if this were the case it would still not be worth the full RRP.

Agreed !Not worth it by a long chalk. The C-5 price is even more absurd when you consider that I bought the Roden Zeppelin Staaken R VI for £43!! That is a bigger and far more complex kit. Where did I get it? From Roden's home territory in the Ukraine!! Ok, there was of course postage on top of that. Is there a larger market for a relatively unknown WW1 bomber compared to a modern military transport? I doubt it but, I guess I could be wrong! In any case, even when first released you could buy the Staaken for around £70 in the UK. I was in full time employment then so I could afford it!!:D. Like you, I like Roden kits - I have a couple of their 1/72 Antonov AN-12s but, even those were only £35-£40 when new!

Allan

• Like 1

20 hours ago, snapper_city said:

I'm still really struggling to see how this is nearly twice the price of the 1:48 GWH F-15C I picked up the other day. 

Because Roden think people will pay it.

It's really that simple.

Edited by ICMF
  • Like 1

13 hours ago, ICMF said:

Because Roden think people will pay it.

It's really that simple.

If the customers think otherwise, as seems likely then they may be in for a rude awakening .I think they are going to get burned on this one - and badly. I accept though that some WILL pay the outrageous price for this kit.

Allan

16 minutes ago, Albeback52 said:

If the customers think otherwise, as seems likely then they may be in for a rude awakening .I think they are going to get burned on this one - and badly. I accept though that some WILL pay the outrageous price for this kit.

Allan

You are right a few will pay the full asking price. But, as it has been seen here, threads on other forums and facebook the majority of people who would have bought one had it been a sensible price massively out weighs the few that will. 

The model shop I was in the other day had a healthy stock of Roden kits but they said they refuse to stock the C-5 fearing they will not sell. What does that tell you. 

8 hours ago, snapper_city said:

You are right a few will pay the full asking price. But, as it has been seen here, threads on other forums and facebook the majority of people who would have bought one had it been a sensible price massively out weighs the few that will. 

The model shop I was in the other day had a healthy stock of Roden kits but they said they refuse to stock the C-5 fearing they will not sell. What does that tell you. 

Local shop has had a number of queries asking if the price quoted on their web site was a mistake!!😁😁

I only wanted the C-5M. When I saw the price and found a C-5B for $80.00 I bought it immediately knowing I'd never find a C-5M for that price. I bet the C-5M doesn't even release due to the backlash over the price.

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Scooby said:

I only wanted the C-5M. When I saw the price and found a C-5B for $80.00 I bought it immediately knowing I'd never find a C-5M for that price. I bet the C-5M doesn't even release due to the backlash over the price.

Where was it for $80? Lucky model?

Even with their cheaper price plus postage it's still £70 plus. 

Edited by snapper_city

19 hours ago, snapper_city said:

Where was it for $80? Lucky model?

Even with their cheaper price plus postage it's still £70 plus. 

Yes, Lucky. Considering for the past four or five years I was being outbid on my eBay bids at that price I was happy to get any 1/144 Galaxy.

Even at "only" £70 it is still seriously overpriced. I'd reckon it worth about half that - maybe £40 tops. I can get Revell's new 1/32 F/A - 18E and an Airfix Victor for less than the price of a Roden C-5!! ( I cannot afford these either actually but, my wonderful partner has put both on her Crimbo list!!):D

Allan

2 hours ago, Branky said:

Well, sound to me to be a good deal, just add some custom charges and VAT and you are a happy modeller!

Surely they cannot be having problems selling this kit😁😁. Any advance on £60? Knock another £20 off and I might consider it!😉

Allan

They are £73 with postage from LM which is still too much for what it is. Just because an old oop kit sells for that on the dark web doesn't mean this is what the masses will pay. Yes I do what one but there are limits. If you asked me £40 seems fair and reasonable. £50 more than I want to pay but would probably crumble. £60+ I think I'll wait for the Model Collect 1:72 B-52H.

15 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

I bought a Revell one last year for £84 plus postage, so if Lucky Model punch them out at that price, plus VAT and fees, you are looking at just North of £90. How desperate are you for a C-5?

:D Certainly not THAT desperate!! That's for sure - much as I'd like one! I actually got one of the ex Otaki originals  in the Yodel boxing 5 years ago. Only paid £30 for it!! Currently on my shelf of doom! Guess I will finish it now!:giggle:

Allan

Can I place a vote in the Britmodeller annual awards, that this is the most boring thread of 2017?

The catogries are:

- I want this kit.

- It's too expensive.

- I can't afford it.

- Repeat all the above ad nausea

Thomo.

Edited by The Tomohawk Kid
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...
On 25/09/2017 at 9:23 AM, The Tomohawk Kid said:

Can I place a vote in the Britmodeller annual awards, that this is the most boring thread of 2017?

The catogries are:

- I want this kit.

- It's too expensive.

- I can't afford it.

- Repeat all the above ad nausea

Thomo.

You could say the same about a lot of discussions here.The comments pertaining to the C-5 kit are relevant

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

Gents, another thread which is going downhill rapidly. If it does not concern you you are under no obligation to chip in. Pls can we keep comments to the kit in hand.

Thx

Julien

On 2017-09-22 at 10:06 AM, snapper_city said:

They are £73 with postage from LM which is still too much for what it is. Just because an old oop kit sells for that on the dark web doesn't mean this is what the masses will pay. Yes I do what one but there are limits. If you asked me £40 seems fair and reasonable. £50 more than I want to pay but would probably crumble. £60+ I think I'll wait for the Model Collect 1:72 B-52H.

I totally understand what you are saying. I bought one but know I paid too much.

I won’t be buying another Roden kit. I feel they have taken advantage of the market.

Tend to agree with the previous comment. What modellers will apparently pay for a very rare and long OOP kit is perhaps a very flawed basis on which to determine a price for a brand new, in production kit? 

However they decided the price, I think it may have backfired seriously. I think this kit is, unfortunately going to prove an enormous flop - at least at the current price.Does not bode well for the C-5M. Not so much abusing the market as totally misunderstanding the customers

Allan

If it is going to be the flop that people are predicting then Roden may end production of it, then put the cost and effort into their next production.  If that were to be the case and this ends up a short run then it could end up being even more rare than the Otaki kit.

Mike

• Like 1

Would the high price have anything to do with the fact that Lockheed is now part of Boeing, and Boeing are known for taking "royalties" on anything they are involved in?

Just a thought guys, that's all.

I must admit the price was a little off putting at first but I managed to get one for around £75 including postage, compared to the prices of the Otaki kit on ebay I thought that was comparable considering this is a new tool with open flaps and slats (which it usually had when on the ground).  The wife has wrapped it and put it under the tree for Christmas which was the justification for getting it at that price. 

Obviously I had to check it first, I'd say my only grievance with it so far (having only looked and not built it) is the state of the plastic.  I wouldnt moan about the price as its a personal choice if you pay it or not, however for the money I would have expected them to have at least polished the plastic a bit rather than the rough finish it has, also the fuselage has some lot of tabs or sprue joints along it which need taking off.  Nothing that can't be cleaned up but as I say, I would have expected a little more care and finishing when charging that price.  That said it's a c5 and I'm looking forward to building it, with everything hanging down it'll look a beast once done and the detail looks good as well. 

6 minutes ago, HL-10 said:

Would the high price have anything to do with the fact that Lockheed is now part of Boeing, and Boeing are known for taking "royalties" on anything they are involved in?

Just a thought guys, that's all.

I doubt it. A couple of years ago I asked Airfix this question re the Boeing logo on the P-51D kits (1/72) while there was a process to go through they were mainly concerned with how the brand was being portrayed and not monetary interest. 

• Like 1