1/144 - Lockheed C-5B & M (Super) Galaxy by Roden - C-5B & C-5M released - upgrade sets by Metallic Details

Homebee

The price that they are quoting does seem rather excessive, although I have seen a similar price in the US, but thought that customs may have been involved to push up the price. There is no price on Hobbyterra at the moment to judge by.

My Anigrand C-5M Super Galaxy only cost £80 new and that is a resin kit; plus it came with three additional bonus kits.  If the price that Hannants is quoting is correct then it would be cheaper to by the Anigrand C-5M and backdate it to a C-5B

Mike

Edit:  I've just checked Anigrand's site and the cost has gone up to £90 + £16 shipping but that would still be cheaper than the quoted price by Hannants.

I had to ask Hannants about this and the good news is: It is a typo.

The bad new is: It should still cost 119,99!!! :dull:

Quite pointless in my view unless something went wrong with the tooling and you do not want anybody to find out.

Hope nobody sold their Otaki or Revell C-5 already...

René

1 hour ago, sofiane1718 said:

I really don't think those price are right, NOBODY will buy it...

People will buy it; the question is how many people? I'm sure Roden has taken that into account when setting the price so that (expected number of sales) X (revenue from each sale) = (cost of developing the kit + materials and labour for kit production). Certainly, they could lower the price and expect more sales, but it is not the case that halving the price will double the number of units sold. I'm guessing that the global market for a 1/144 C-5 is no more that a couple of thousand units at ANY price. Figuring a tooling cost of GBP 50,000, sales of 1000 kits, 100% retail markup and 20% VAT and there is your GBP 119.99 Hannants price. And nobody is getting rich off that.

1 hour ago, sofiane1718 said:

I just can't see roden selling their C-5B (and C-5M) at 5 times the price of their recent Starlifter....

It's not unprecedented. The Roden 1/72 Zeppelin Staaken is selling at Hannants for GBP 106, which is nearly as much as the C-5 will sell for. The C-5 is a lot bigger than a C-141 and the kit itself appears to be far more complex with the separate flaps, slats, and control surfaces.

50 minutes ago, VMA131Marine said:

The Roden 1/72 Zeppelin Staaken is selling at Hannants for GBP 106

LOL.  It's £50 from Hobbyterra, or any other Ukrainian seller.  I haven't seen the C-5 listed for pre-order yet, but it'll be interesting to see what the Eastern European retail price is.

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2017 at 11:35 PM, Richard E said:

Now listed on Hannants' Website for advance order - not sure if the price could be described as "reasonable" though.

:yikes:Ouch!! Suddenly I have lost interest. Guess I will have to do without, They can keep it at that price.

Allan

• Like 1

22 hours ago, VMA131Marine said:

People will buy it; the question is how many people? I'm sure Roden has taken that into account when setting the price so that (expected number of sales) X (revenue from each sale) = (cost of developing the kit + materials and labour for kit production). Certainly, they could lower the price and expect more sales, but it is not the case that halving the price will double the number of units sold. I'm guessing that the global market for a 1/144 C-5 is no more that a couple of thousand units at ANY price. Figuring a tooling cost of GBP 50,000, sales of 1000 kits, 100% retail markup and 20% VAT and there is your GBP 119.99 Hannants price. And nobody is getting rich off that.

That's a reasonable and logical analysis. I would question your estimate of global sales but, the point is moot anyway. I agree that halving the price would not necessarily equate to double sales but, it would surely lead to increased sales? I don't dispute that Roden will have set a price it deems reasonable to cover costs and turn a profit. That is common sense and, indeed business sense! The amount charged by UK importers will also be reflected in the UK retail price. Buying overseas at a lower price might be counter productive when you include shipping and, charges that might be imposed by UK Customs!

Customers will of course vote with their wallets. Price is always a very subjective issue and I accept that some will buy this kit regardless of its price. I respect that. I also agree that nobody will get rich here but, I cannot help wondering if, this kit will actually end up as a loss maker? Pure speculation of course but, it would not surprise me if (here in rip off Britain anyway) in a few months time, when retailers realise their shiny new C5 kits have turned into dust gathering shelf blockers that prices start to drop as they become desperate to shift their stock.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52

5 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

That's a reasonable and logical analysis. I would question your estimate of global sales but, the point is moot anyway. I agree that halving the price would not necessarily equate to double sales but, it would surely lead to increased sales? I don't dispute that Roden will have set a price it deems reasonable to cover costs and turn a profit. That is common sense and, indeed business sense! The amount charged by UK importers will also be reflected in the UK retail price. Buying overseas at a lower price might be counter productive when you include shipping and, charges that might be imposed by UK Customs!

Customers will of course vote with their wallets. Price is always a very subjective issue and I accept that some will buy this kit regardless of its price. I respect that. I also agree that nobody will get rich here but, I cannot help wondering if, this kit will actually end up as a loss maker? Pure speculation of course but, it would not surprise me if (here in rip off Britain anyway) in a few months time, when retailers realise their shiny new C5 kits have turned into dust gathering shelf blockers that prices start to drop as they become desperate to shift their stock.

Allan

A good point Allan, just because they are two recent examples which spring to mind rather than a comment on that manufacturer's pricing policy, how many of us have an Airfix Typhoon or Nimrod sitting in the cupboard which we picked up for (in some instances significantly) less than the original sales price?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Homebee said:

£87 is a whole lot better than £120 but, even at that I consider it beyond my means. Also, you have to factor in the possibility that it may be subject to  VAT upon arrival in the UK. There's another 20% on top.

Allan

That is still a lot of money that will only attract the die hard of C-5 fans. Surely if they even halved it more than twice the number of people will buy it. I can imagine a lot of people like myself who would buy one and even pay say £40 - £45 for it. Anything more is too much for what is still a 1:144 kit.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Richard E said:

A good point Allan, just because they are two recent examples which spring to mind rather than a comment on that manufacturer's pricing policy, how many of us have an Airfix Typhoon or Nimrod sitting in the cupboard which we picked up for (in some instances significantly) less than the original sales price?

Guilty as charged Richard!!:lol: I got my Typhoon for only £49.95!! Of course, I think another factor in the excessive UK retail price is the Importers fees. I think the problem with Nimrod was not that it was overpriced per se but, that Airfix somewhat over estimated demand? This was apparently the kit that "modellers were screaming out for" only for the "screaming" to die out rapidly once the kit appeared - leaving retailers with no option but to slash prices just to shift them!

Personnaly, I was waiting for the C-5M and the C-133 to arrive, wasn't planning to buy the C-5B, maybe they are trying to see how far they can go with this one, before the other two releases.

One word my friends: BOYCOTT this one, if you don't want to see all their future releases come at such ridiculous prices...

• Like 1

5 hours ago, SeaVenom said:

.....I was on the phone to Judy Garland earlier though and she complained about the rainbow.

:idea:

The rainbow thing has just made sense now! It's a subliminal message from Roden telling us to :

• follow the rainbow to the end
  • dig down and recover the gold
  • Pay for your Roden C-5

I wish more manufacturers were that thoughtful.

:clown:

• Like 3