Airfix Victoria Cross Icons Gift Set

Hi All

These were built as test subjects to try my hand at airbrushing.

Bought myself a cheap airbrush setup and used those little paint tubs included.

WIP here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235016785-airfix-victoria-cross-icons-and-the-airbrush-experiments/&

DSCF4814_zpstytuussn.jpg

DSCF4815_zpsp7kihqbx.jpg

DSCF4816_zps2pu7dtiv.jpg

Hawker Hurricane Mk1

DSCF4817_zpsj0sqdilg.jpg

DSCF4818_zpskxbofxdf.jpg

DSCF4819_zpsbibes3xz.jpg

Fairy Battle

DSCF4820_zpsvnmztrvg.jpg

DSCF4821_zpsdfkah569.jpg

DSCF4822_zpsvq3dqfkq.jpg

Bristol Blenheim IV

DSCF4823_zpskmkzjzrc.jpg

DSCF4824_zpsqamti7on.jpg

DSCF4825_zpstsrwkea1.jpg

Handley Page Hampden

DSCF4826_zps1tbsomer.jpg

DSCF4827_zpsbbpoof8e.jpg

DSCF4828_zpsxzypg48s.jpg

Thanks to everyone who tagged along!

Cheers

Steve

• Like 25

Well they all turned out first class Steve given the story found in the WIP,these are now among the top ten Airfix kit's we would now run

a mile from despite how much we loved them all those year's ago so the fact you have produced such quality work might prompt a re-

visit from a few modeller's,I never did get round to building the Hampden!

• Like 1

Nice work !!

But I think you should consider painting the edges of the transparencies;

both on your Blenheim and on your Hampden.

Keep on. Polo.

• Like 1

You've done a first rate job with this box set and ended up with a lovely collection and fine tribute to some very brave young men.

Thank you for sharing them with us. 

• Like 1

Well you look like you are well on the way to getting to grips with an airbrush. I have to agree with Mr Polo that the edges of the transparencies need painting to stop internal refraction. I actually use a black or dark green texta( or sharpie in other countries) to run around the edges.

• Like 1

Nice to see them all together Steve. I found your WIP a very interesting read. You've convinced me I that I need to switch over from my 'hairy sticks' as soon as I can figure out where to put an extractable spray booth.

Edited by Vinnie
  • Like 1

As another who's embarking on an airbrushing adventure, I've read the WIP thread over the past few days and found it very informative (and what results you got with some real turkeys of kits!) Anyway, with the help of a functioning regulator valve, after ten years of airbrush ownership I finally laid down a decent coat for the first time this morning (OK, it was Stynylrez, but I'll take that as a victory). So thank you for your help, Steve!

• Like 1

Brilliant results on a bunch of old kits. They all look good to me but I'm going to single out your Fairey Battle for added commendation, for a demonstrably inaccurate kit, your super finish has it looking beaut. :)

Steve.

• Like 1

Excellent work and you are to be commended for persevering with not only one of these notoriously demanding kits, but with four of them!!!!

I apologize for questioning your sanity, but I must admit the end result is definitely worth it.

The Hampden and Battle have always been kits I have looked for, and (maybe fortunately...) never found! Although I do know that if I ever find one or two of these, I will act stupidly.

Congrats!!!

JR

• Like 1

Hi All

On 19/05/2017 at 1:19 PM, polo1112 said:

But I think you should consider painting the edges of the transparencies;

both on your Blenheim and on your Hampden.

Ah, well spotted, thought I might have distracted you all with the pronounced seams and dodgy assembly.

Looks a lot more noticeable in the photos :doh:

23 hours ago, Horatio Gruntfuttock said:

I actually use a black or dark green texta( or sharpie in other countries) to run around the edges.

Another excellent idea, and neater than painting too :)

Thanks to you all, there have been loads of really useful hints, tips, and suggestions to carry forward.

Cheers

Steve