Fokker Dr.I Stripdown, Eduard 1/72

Hello,

since I have finished the only 1/48 Stripdown from Eduard and shown it here already with a fantastic feedback, I like to show my first built Stripdown model too. This one is the Fokker Dr.I in 1/72 from the new re-edition kit which also includes some resin parts. The PE is soldered and the model was painted with Gunze, Alclad and oils. This is a really fantastic kit, but the result is a damn small plane!

This plane is built out of the box, at that time the engines from Small Stuff were not yet available and a wooden propeller as now on my 1/48 kits is a bit hard to be done in 1/72.

The complete Eduard Stripdown series is in my stash, but I have not yet built all of them.

Have fun with the pictures (the macro is merciless) and I hope you will like that model too!:coolio:

Frank

gVDAXnEdP0FYbCzNX7dx6KdOi_Rw4fAf7m-OC-Ox

U8oBv9HnVnMrajMfOhVVvdRhXp2SJcrj_ssTsECX

aCQI2FYRcI_iK-fh155NjtflDAGdrHQlr83TolCT

ChmUlSuvUBwDNPdMuT3rLIPAH_0jlV-yVsuqV4ps

aClFN0dinhLgTqLCzLXCNSm0wiyNgVtvT3JUVx55

bl6M_1skG8O0_Qkuv15K1I7YyOP3E4XbZM1idfp_

ABRW2_-Cs54GLRMaL-_z2BJQ3Q-aHUIfkKkQGItv

77XD_wyt3hTzylMqSMKHMAVMbv-3yUDbATIXRQhU

JCdKNawFC6Ls78gLpa4ZulQ2m7fGFAREQyrh43iL

fpqRu-b9uEDMVbP8kO2keCPNUEvHpZuz3BNVA5HG

That is a real 1 Euro Cent!

U27GbuMKOGbkNBuTSuR3WjCJhBVWTByeRp2t-Ldn

And finally the view from below:

D6WHhevoW6-_0OUqdjdC8pczp1X-Bhorx2GL68D0

As detail picture I like to show a soldered aileron:

8ElWz0RTRHYahPTmVYWeaCSUbq54vRprtz3fVkkr

Edited by Bughunter
Grammar fixes
  • Like 29

Impressive indeed!

BTW - manufacturing of stripped model could be a good task for a good resolution 3D printer. Are there (in Eduard kits) parts made this way?

Cheers

J-W

• Like 1

To all of you: Thank you very much! :thanks:

14 hours ago, Possibly Apocryphal said:

As always, Bughunter, beautiful work!  Who needs the Hasegawa 1/8 scale stripdowns when you have this?

Me :coolio: I have this big one in our living room, of course with a hand made wooden airscrew (this model was the trigger to work out this technology):

bZy11JBNAbQ-hgDZIa60W6-bFypKMo6ATG5kNDcx

13 hours ago, Jessica said:

More stripped airplanes! And still in a family forum! For shame!

And I still can show a small amount of such "shame" airplanes:tomato: 

13 hours ago, Dazey said:

I'm intrigued by the Eduard Stripdown kits.

The problem is, that this series of kits (six were available in 1/72) is more the 20 years old, and there was only the re-edition of the Fokker Dr.I and 2014 the D.H.2 in 1/48. So the kits are really rare now and hard to find on ebay for real high prices only. Luckily I was able to catch all of them after hunting for years.

8 hours ago, JWM said:

BTW - manufacturing of stripped model could be a good task for a good resolution 3D printer. Are there (in Eduard kits) parts made this way?

No, I think 3D printing is not yet on that level. I know only one series of high priced parts to convert a 1/32 Fokker D.VII form Wingnut Wings into a stripdown model, but a half wing costs 37€ :tmi:

See here https://www.shapeways.com/shops/aviattic

No, the Eduard kits are much finer and are mostly PE, with some parts taken from the normal plastic kit.

num-SqC_4NSW8W6T7dpWoGDl138mlXdNZ7ZxQD58

WF1PRQmSMpDCFecIvDchfXH_NpXWQuuueZXqFQ0f

This new edition contains also some "Brassin" parts:

GNRBfx36yq0gc_5QIsHvw-0r-TiX1feznfGIUPMb

Have a nice weekend,

Frank

Edited by Bughunter
Grammar
  • Like 4

You would have to have small hands to work in the detail you do, rather than 'Bughunter' a more appropriate name could be 'Frank tweezer-hands'.

I'm still in awe of the fact you have managed to convince your wife to have a 1/8 scale aircraft in the lounge. I've mentioned to mine that a 1/24 Mosquito would look great on the sideboard, but she thinks that pictures of the kids look better (they don't look that good). So unreasonable!

• Like 3

Now this gets slightly off topic ...

Since my wife asked me to build her the 1/10 wooden and PE stagecoach from Amati for the lounge, this gave me some freedom to put an aircraft on display there, too.

sOSdrFhsD5O0JobjzcyXkNIep5fi_9KzwXX34gWs

Edited by Bughunter
Grammar fixes
  • Like 5

That stagecoach is a good looking model as well, but would rather your WWI offerings any day. I suspect that the 'if I make you a model…' scenario isn't likely to work with my other half as she hasn't any interest in models. However, she was fascinated when I restored my step-daughters dolls-house, but I suspect that most women don't consider that to be modelling at all, even though it's a scale model of a house and contents.

Hey Mike! Where's Britmodellers 'dolls-house' section?

• Like 1

Those strip down models are simply superb. I really admire your skill with the soldering iron - that is something I have yet to master. Knowing how big (small) the Dr 1 is in 1/72 scale, this is even more impressive.

P

• Like 1

Your model is really impressive! Congratulations!

On 19.05.2017 at 9:01 AM, JWM said:

BTW - manufacturing of stripped model could be a good task for a good resolution 3D printer.

On 19.05.2017 at 9:48 AM, Bughunter said:

No, I think 3D printing is not yet on that level. I know only one series of high priced parts to convert a 1/32 Fokker D.VII form Wingnut Wings into a stripdown model, but a half wing costs 37€ :tmi:

I dare to disagree.
With ArmaHobby/AttackSquadron team we made three sets of 1/72 3D printed parts, for Fokker Eindecker, Polish RWD 8 trainer and the Bell47 (OH-13) helicopter. In my opinion these are quite good and sometimes (eg. control surfaces) visibly better than Eduard flat PE parts. The only problem that these are still a bit pricey (Fokker: 24 Euro for the set of two wings and tail control surfaces).

Here are more details:

AttackSquadron 3D accessories article

Fokker E.III built with 3D printed accessories

This is my 1/72 Eduard Fokker with these accessories. The build is very easy and the parts need only painting... and rigging.

Fok004.jpg

And these are just those 1/72 Fokker parts - some white residue are just rests of the wax used to support parts during printing, it is easily removable with white spirit or other solvent.

fokker_002.jpg

And this is Bell 47 built by Piotr Dmitruk with 3D printed tail structure:

Bell 47 with 3D printed structure

All the best from Warsaw!

Grzegorz

• Like 3

Thank you very much for your detailed reply, I simply wasn't aware of it. Cool stuff, really :yes:

The wing is may be a little bit on thick side, but the tail is really fantastic! And also the Bell, much better compared to the original kit parts. I have talked to a guy from Austria during a exhibition, who soldered in a special wooden framework the parts for this Bell from brass, that was damn cool!

You showed your Fokker Eindecker here, I will create a new entry with my Fokker Eindecker stripdown here too, give me some minutes. Then we have a good comparison :-)

All the best from Munich!

Frank

• Like 1