1/72 MiG-31 Foxhound *Complete*

Finally got around to starting my first group build here at Brit Modeller.

Thought I would have a go at Trumpeter's new MiG-31, using this as a bit of a dummy run before I build the AMK Foxhound. Going to be using Hataka paints for this build and, hopefully, this will be my last hairy stick build too. Really looking forward to getting stuck in. 

I've made a bit of a start, and I've primed the cockpit and painted the intakes. 

Anyway, here are some photos to start us off...

18485990_10158780008430284_1064678946185

More photos to follow! 

Enjoy :)

Edited by Sobby_23
  • Like 2

Welcome to your first GB at Britmodeller.

The MiG-31 has to be the most popular aircraft type in the GB and I understand why as it is such a great looking jet.

I hope you have an enjoyable t ime during your stay here.

Cheers, Peter

• Like 1

Just a wee update, started work on the cockpit using the Hataka paints. Coverage at first didn't look so good but it built up really nicely and I'm quite pleased with it. I also completed the air intakes, well sort of, the fit is a little less than perfect so I'll need to do some fettling. I'll post a more complete log of the build thus far after I've completed the cockpit. Unfortunately, that may be for a while, using what little time I have at the moment for the small tasks. I'll keep you guys updated. Hopefully sneak in some time today to work on the cockpit! 

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Finally a proper update! 

I've completed the cockpit and nose section and I'm currently working on the fuselage. Unfortunately where the fuselage, intakes, and cockpit meet there are some rather unsightly gaps that will need attended to. Other than that this has been an enjoyable build so far, hoping to get the whole fuselage buttoned up by the end of the day. 

18738651_10158870247190284_3906411541322

18922667_10158870247165284_3960664600798

18920763_10158870247150284_6861257110152

18891820_10158870248200284_5686809243681

18891429_10158870248070284_3419507222888

• Like 4

Just another quick update. I've buttoned up the fuselage. There are some pretty horrific gaps to deal with, but I'm going to let the glue cure before I get stuck in.

18891796_10158871545980284_3263712493372

• Like 4

That is a very meaty looking aircraft, tho' with a canopy like that I guess they're not expecting anyone to get behind them. I'm interested to see how this goes; the cockpit looks great.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I've made a little more progress, she is all primed now and there's just a few spots of remedial work required. Hopefully get that done tomorrow. 

Unfortunately while I was away at the Le Mans 24h I got some less than ideal news which might but the brakes on this build a little, I'll endeavour to finish it by the deadline, but that doesn't look likely now.

On 23/06/2017 at 4:44 AM, Sobby_23 said:

Thanks for the kind comments guys. I've made a little more progress, she is all primed now and there's just a few spots of remedial work required. Hopefully get that done tomorrow. 

Unfortunately while I was away at the Le Mans 24h I got some less than ideal news which might but the brakes on this build a little, I'll endeavour to finish it by the deadline, but that doesn't look likely now.

Sorry to hear that an unforeseen event may derail your build. But sometime it can be very therapeutic when spending a bit of time building a kit.

Cheers, Peter

• 1 month later...

Huzzah, an update at last. I've been making steady progress with this in the background, but finally a proper update. My PhD thesis was successfully examined last week, so it's full steam ahead with the Foxhound.

https://goo.gl/photos/1ygv8idcqfJosYEWA

And today's spray booth...

https://goo.gl/photos/Fs8YxhW4FfD5M3Cs8

Hoping to get her finished by the end of next week :)

Edited by Sobby_23
Not sure why the photos only appear as links?!
  • Like 2

Oh she's very close now. Stencils really stand out, nice clean work. Love the spray booth, looks like you use the same company as me ha. I only spray base coats but now been marched out doors to this after our kitchen floor got greyer and greyer and cooker hood packed in 😬

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Congratulations to your successful PhD thesis :clap2:

Great progress and a very novel spray booth :thumbsup:

Looks like google image cant be linked to the picture only :( Maybe you can try another image hosting provider, there are plenty out there.

Cheers, Peter

• Thanks 1

On 05/08/2017 at 11:04 AM, Valkyrie said:

Oh she's very close now. Stencils really stand out, nice clean work. Love the spray booth, looks like you use the same company as me ha. I only spray base coats but now been marched out doors to this after our kitchen floor got greyer and greyer and cooker hood packed in 😬

Thanks! Got a bit of a telling off when I told SWMBO. I was quite pleased with what I thought was a novel solution. She was not.

On 06/08/2017 at 5:02 AM, Basilisk said:

Congratulations to your successful PhD thesis :clap2:

Great progress and a very novel spray booth :thumbsup:

Looks like google image cant be linked to the picture only :( Maybe you can try another image hosting provider, there are plenty out there.

Cheers, Peter

Thanks Peter :) I'll find another image host for the next round of pictures, big push tomorrow to get her over the line. Looking forward to the weathering process.

• Haha 1

I can recommend Flickr, very easy. Can also recommend spraying outside, I did try doing it whilst the good lady was out but the smell of paint rumbled my game. I need to get my 31 moving too as you've bypassed me..

• Like 1

Congratulations for a smashing model. :clap2:

20170811_135052.jpg

Always nice to have a picture of the finished model here as well!

I like your weathering, but can't see much from the oil dot modulation. Did you remove most of it or is the effect very subtle?

I wasn't too happy with the effect it gave me. It's only my second time using oils so I'm just testing out ideas. 

I went back over it with greys, browns and beiges to get some colour modulation across the grey. That gave me the effect I was looking for. Some of the original dot modulation work is still visible, but it is very subtle.

Edited by Sobby_23
  • Like 1

I think you applied too much oil paint onto the model. It needs very little for a good effect, specially if you use substantially different colours.

But using greys, browns and beiges  worked well.

Cheers, Peter

Yup, for sure! I got a little carried away. I got a better grasp of it when applying the greys, browns and beiges. 

Anyway, lesson learnt. Looking forward to trying it again on a different model. It's a fun effect, I like seeing it bring the model to life. It also reacted nicely with the MIG panel wash that I used, when the two mixed it result in quite an pleasing effect.