Maj George Laven Aleutian P-38E

Just a few pics to show my recently completed 1/72 RS P-38E, in the marking of the second P-38E flown by then Major George Laven during the Aleutian campaign:

Markings are a little speculative, as discussed in the WIP here: P-38E WIP

P38E07-vi.jpg

P38E08-vi.jpgP38E09-vi.jpgP38E10-vi.jpg

P38E11-vi.jpg

P38E13-vi.jpg

P38E12-vi.jpg

P38E14-vi.jpg

One thing to note -- if you build the RS P-38's, leave the mass balancers off till the very last step. I knocked mine off many time and finally lost them both. Have another kit on order and will try to copy and re-install them later on!

Thanks for looking,

Ed

Edited by TheRealMrEd
added photos
  • Like 17

Fantastic weathering Ed, and on a wonderful subject too. It's my opinion that you can't over weather an Aleutian build.

As a bonus, it looks like managed to get everything lined up on the RS kit, a herculean feat (which I failed).

• Like 1

Really superb Mr.Ed and I agree with the weathering comments.  Just enough to realize the cold and salt of that briny theatre.  I have an RS P-38 on the shelf...question...do you mean the nose weights when you refer to mass balancers?

Excellent build with great weathering .

Guy

Thanks to all for the kind comments. This model was a learning experience on all fronts!

The mass balancers are the little teardrop-shaped-thingies-on-a-stick that attach to the top and bottom of the elevator to counterbalance the weight of the elevator. Mine broke off numerous times. Refer to Cookies link in the WIP for how they are SUPPOSED to look.

BTW, Cookie was also right about needing to tone down the yellow decals. I sprayed overall with light white and grey to sort "dust" the model, and while it helped a little more is needed. Any tips out there?

Ed