What is standard pink coloured alcohol ?

Merlin

Hi,

Told to use standard pink coloured alcohol (damp cloth) to wipe away Mr Hobby aqueous paint to leave it (paint) in fine engravings etc for a certain effect.

Just what is this in the UK and where can one get it ?

Only pink alcohol I see is a drink in a bottle with other ingredients added.

Tried IPA and it also attacked the enamel paint.

Merlin

Pink alcohol is ethanol with the addition of a dye (giving the pink colour) and other substances to make it unuseable for drinking. It is indeed also known as methylated spirit.

The advice makes sense as this product can be used to thin Gunze acrylics (I always use it for this) and can so be used to wipe away the excess. As too much pink alcohol can also attack the underlying surface, I'd however give an enamel coat before using it. It can also attack future and all water thinned acrylics, so much that I use it to clean my airbrush when I use these paints.

It's a very common product in most of continental Europe, here in Italy it can be found in any supermarket in the cleaning products section, but it seems harder to find in Britain

If it's denaturated alcohol, then in the UK the best place to get it is DIY stores/builders' merchants ,where it's sold as methylated spirits.  This is usually about 90% ethanol. The rest is water, methanol, butanone and a variety of minerals, dyestuffs and quite often a bittering agent to make it undrinkable.

Depending on what the exact mix is, meths from different sources/suppliers can behave quite differently in the same application, which is why I'm wary of using it as a thinner for anything!