Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Hockeyboy76

Airfix Gloster Gladiator mk1 ( H's back!)

Recommended Posts

Hockeyboy76    2,123
Posted (edited)

Just a few photos to update my progress with this build. DIY jobs still taking priority. 

0550B476-6124-4B7E-AF2E-7EE18AA34D69_zpsC42D7CFB-65AB-4447-A9F8-EDE99BB5402F_zps6CA8CFB8-58B6-4EBF-A7D1-EDD233771943_zps

Gear casing still to be painted gloss black. Thanks for info Dogsbody. 

 

And a a cheeky teaser of a side project. 

51272520-93A1-4DE3-BA60-ACC5CEE7C786_zps

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nimrod54    4,156

Great job on the paint bud, how long did it take for the green to dry? I am interested because I have had a similar issue with some Gloss Red and whilst I had used some quick drying thinners to thin the paint down, it has still taken two days to dry properly.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hockeyboy76    2,123
2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great job on the paint bud, how long did it take for the green to dry? I am interested because I have had a similar issue with some Gloss Red and whilst I had used some quick drying thinners to thin the paint down, it has still taken two days to dry properly.

It took about 6 days to completely dry. First time I have had this problem with Humbrol enamels. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nimrod54    4,156

Mine was one of the new tins of Humbrol too H, it reminded me of when I first used some Xtracolor paint. Maybe I didn't mix it enough, I'll give it another try at some point and see what happens then.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hockeyboy76    2,123

I enjoyed decaling the Gladiator. A grand total of 4 decals. 

CC80D214-066F-4BCC-BA14-643E46DBD180_zpsAC6F4EC9-BE1B-4693-9FF3-3C966CB5DEB1_zps

 

A few bits n bobs left to do. 

I am going to attempt rigging, but my rigging thread was so fine on my 144 Wessex, it won't be seen on this, so plan B is hairs from a paint brush. Plenty of them lying round while we redecorate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hockeyboy76    2,123
Posted (edited)

Ive been Photobucketed!! 

Lets try this

resized_41371783-6532-4e34-a69e-0284a3fd

 

Rock on Village.photos

Edited by Hockeyboy76

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
nimrod54    4,156

That's looking good buddy, it appears as though you are nearly done. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Hockeyboy76    2,123

So after finishing this 

I really need to crack on with this Gladiator. I had planned to "have a bash at rigging" after all "how hard can it be?" But now have decided that I just want to finish it, so just need to attach the top wing, make a new door from the etch & paint and attach the engine cracking handle. Simples!  Hope to get some time in soon. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
AdrianMF    4,251

Looks very sharp!

 

The bracing in between the struts can be pretty hard to cut. If you haven't glued the top wing on yet you might want to take the opportunity to cut them out now with the edge of a table to press on. 

 

Regards,

Adrian

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Man    1,446
On 8/14/2017 at 3:58 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks very sharp!

 

The bracing in between the struts can be pretty hard to cut. If you haven't glued the top wing on yet you might want to take the opportunity to cut them out now with the edge of a table to press on. 

 

Regards,

Adrian

 

 

Hot knife, Sir.

 

Score it a bit in the center of the X with a knife-edge needle file before assembly. Then heat an old Exacto blade. With the groove to guide, it will melt through easily. Then you can trim what remains off the struts just like you would if you were taking parts off a sprue. Not original with me, mind: a tip from Mr. Nick Millman.

 

On 8/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

I really need to crack on with this Gladiator. I had planned to "have a bash at rigging" after all "how hard can it be?" But now have decided that I just want to finish it, so just need to attach the top wing, make a new door from the etch & paint and attach the engine cracking handle. Simples!  Hope to get some time in soon. 

 

 

Airfix makes this pretty easy to rig, Sir, with the little holes. You might still give it a shot. I found it a good idea to trim down the strut ends, so they went firmly all the into the sockets in the wings. Helped me putting the top wing on quite a bit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×