Airfix Gloster Gladiator mk1 ( H's back!) FINISHED

Just a few photos to update my progress with this build. DIY jobs still taking priority. 

0550B476-6124-4B7E-AF2E-7EE18AA34D69_zpsC42D7CFB-65AB-4447-A9F8-EDE99BB5402F_zps6CA8CFB8-58B6-4EBF-A7D1-EDD233771943_zps

Gear casing still to be painted gloss black. Thanks for info Dogsbody. 

And a a cheeky teaser of a side project. 

51272520-93A1-4DE3-BA60-ACC5CEE7C786_zps

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

Great job on the paint bud, how long did it take for the green to dry? I am interested because I have had a similar issue with some Gloss Red and whilst I had used some quick drying thinners to thin the paint down, it has still taken two days to dry properly.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

Great job on the paint bud, how long did it take for the green to dry? I am interested because I have had a similar issue with some Gloss Red and whilst I had used some quick drying thinners to thin the paint down, it has still taken two days to dry properly.

It took about 6 days to completely dry. First time I have had this problem with Humbrol enamels. 

• Like 1

Mine was one of the new tins of Humbrol too H, it reminded me of when I first used some Xtracolor paint. Maybe I didn't mix it enough, I'll give it another try at some point and see what happens then.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I enjoyed decaling the Gladiator. A grand total of 4 decals. 

CC80D214-066F-4BCC-BA14-643E46DBD180_zpsAC6F4EC9-BE1B-4693-9FF3-3C966CB5DEB1_zps

A few bits n bobs left to do. 

I am going to attempt rigging, but my rigging thread was so fine on my 144 Wessex, it won't be seen on this, so plan B is hairs from a paint brush. Plenty of them lying round while we redecorate. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...

So after finishing this 

I really need to crack on with this Gladiator. I had planned to "have a bash at rigging" after all "how hard can it be?" But now have decided that I just want to finish it, so just need to attach the top wing, make a new door from the etch & paint and attach the engine cracking handle. Simples!  Hope to get some time in soon. 

• Like 1

Looks very sharp!

The bracing in between the struts can be pretty hard to cut. If you haven't glued the top wing on yet you might want to take the opportunity to cut them out now with the edge of a table to press on. 

Regards,

Adrian

On 8/14/2017 at 3:58 AM, AdrianMF said:

Looks very sharp!

The bracing in between the struts can be pretty hard to cut. If you haven't glued the top wing on yet you might want to take the opportunity to cut them out now with the edge of a table to press on. 

Regards,

Adrian

Hot knife, Sir.

Score it a bit in the center of the X with a knife-edge needle file before assembly. Then heat an old Exacto blade. With the groove to guide, it will melt through easily. Then you can trim what remains off the struts just like you would if you were taking parts off a sprue. Not original with me, mind: a tip from Mr. Nick Millman.

On 8/13/2017 at 11:08 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

I really need to crack on with this Gladiator. I had planned to "have a bash at rigging" after all "how hard can it be?" But now have decided that I just want to finish it, so just need to attach the top wing, make a new door from the etch & paint and attach the engine cracking handle. Simples!  Hope to get some time in soon. 

Airfix makes this pretty easy to rig, Sir, with the little holes. You might still give it a shot. I found it a good idea to trim down the strut ends, so they went firmly all the into the sockets in the wings. Helped me putting the top wing on quite a bit.

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Finished 🤗

Sneak peak

resized_ff08cf0e-7a04-4b8e-97e3-dd563af1

Added a splash of colour with an Orange starter handle. Not technically correct, but I do love a splash of orange as much as I do a camo wrap! And after all they are both way cool!😎😎

resized_5fbf15b7-9ec1-4f47-b75a-c167cc38

resized_e046876b-a64e-480e-81b7-6942bfd7

It even survived an 11th hour whoopsie, when dropped twice in the space of 30 seconds. Only damage was a wheel knocked off of the pivot. Superglue to the rescue. 

C&C's welcomed. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 3