Airfix Gloster Gladiator mk1 ( H's back!) FINISHED

After throughly enjoying the first Made in Britain GB, I'm back for the sequel. 

I have the Gloster Gladiator mk1 starter set to build, just waiting on eduard etch to arrive.  The starter set is purely to help me as the new man cave is not ready to use, in fact everything is still packed from the house move. Having trouble finding my modelling supplies. 

I have a kitchen pass for Saturday, free use of the table all day, so hope to make some good progress. 

Photos to follow soon. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, nimrod54 said:

In the words of Homer (Simpson)

Woo! Hoo!

There's going to be plenty of those dude, mostly D'oh!  And hopefully an occasional Mr Burns "Excellent"

Best of luck getting the modelling supplies recovered but in the meantime this one will hopefully keep you going :) 

• Like 1

My "free use of the kitchen table all day" turned into spending all day on the beach ( not complaining, was a cracking day!)  No progress as yet, but etch did arrive this morning. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

Cracking time at the beach John. 

So this is a little progress, converting the Airfix pit to accommodate the Eduard PE. 

IMG_0017_zpsrpmc5jze.jpg

Still not sure if I should be using the early brown cockpit dials or the later black square & quarter panel ones. 

• Like 2

I'm not always convinced on the value of etched metal sets but this one looks to be a worthwhile addition to the kit.

1 hour ago, Col. said:

I'm not always convinced on the value of etched metal sets but this one looks to be a worthwhile addition to the kit.

They can add some great detail, but they are fiddly. The 144 ones are even worse, I lost a 144 scale wiper blade for a Wessex I was building. There's something's the carpet monster is supposed to have!

Any way this is where I got to last night. 

image.jpg1_zps1lrinula.jpg

• Like 5

Today has been spent adding & painting all the details for the cockpit. 

image.jpg1_zpsjmkm3kpq.jpg

The cockpit dials are not clear in this picture,but really do look good in real life. 

I washed the floor & cockpit sides with black flory wash, the control column ring has been painted black & compass PE added in front of it. I also removed one of the doors so when finished some of the details should hopefully be visible. Not sure when I will be back to this, hopefully soon. 

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 2

I found my paints and washes buddy. The insides are sprayed silver from a rattle can & the green is Tamiya interior green. The black is from the kit and goes on really well. 

Cheeky bit of time at the table this afternoon. 

Cockpit fitted, fuse glued & bottom wings added. I thought I would attempt to rig this one, Airfix have included a diagram for the rigging & drilled out some holes, but not all of them. Managed to break a twist drill in the process. 

image.jpg1_zpsdmvpagrg.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Hockeyboy76 said:

Cheeky bit of time at the table this afternoon.

I was going to ask if Mrs H had not found the escape tunnel, I couldn't believe that she would endorse two weekend passes on the bounce. :winkgrin:

Great bit of sneaky work bud, it's coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, nimrod54 said:

I was going to ask if Mrs H had not found the escape tunnel, I couldn't believe that she would endorse two weekend passes on the bounce. :winkgrin:

Great bit of sneaky work bud, it's coming along nicely. :thumbsup:

Time off for good work!

Put up shelving in daughters bedroom, and painting the new living room. 

• Like 1

Cracked on some more with this over the past couple of days. Added the wing struts & undercarriage spats. Built the engine & added the PE. Both are now in the paint shop drying under a coat of Tamiya white for the fuse &a Halfords moon dust silver for the engine & under upper top wing, if that makes sense. Photos to follow. 

• Like 1

Some masking done ready for the black underside. Going to using Tamiya NATO black instead of Matt black. 

71D974D0-725A-4509-9EF4-994FD9E211DA_zps

And the engine assembled, painted & washed with black. 

6FC44294-1D23-42B5-91F1-D56D7A6DDD58_zps

More to follow. 

• Like 2

Black underside & top camouflage painted. I thinned the Humbrol 29 & 30 before painting. Brown dried nicely but the green is still tacky...after 5 days. Even had Mrs H's hair drier on it. Hope to make some more progress tomorrow. 

• Like 1

The Airfix painting directions are wrong, regarding the engine. The central gear casing should be painted black. In real life, it was painted a semi-gloss black, but flat black rubbed with a finger after drying looks good.

Chris

8 hours ago, dogsbody said:

The Airfix painting directions are wrong, regarding the engine. The central gear casing should be painted black. In real life, it was painted a semi-gloss black, but flat black rubbed with a finger after drying looks good.

Chris

Airfix instructions do call for it to be painted gloss black. I've taken some artistic licence as I plan to leave the top cowling off. 

On ‎09‎/‎06‎/‎2017 at 1:06 AM, Hockeyboy76 said:

Airfix instructions do call for it to be painted gloss black. I've taken some artistic licence as I plan to leave the top cowling off. 

The instructions in both kits I have, AO2052 and AO2063, call for the gear casing to be painted with colour # 11, which is silver.

Step # 12, Part # B3:

Chris

Edited by dogsbody
  • Like 1

Just a few photos to update my progress with this build. DIY jobs still taking priority. 

0550B476-6124-4B7E-AF2E-7EE18AA34D69_zpsC42D7CFB-65AB-4447-A9F8-EDE99BB5402F_zps6CA8CFB8-58B6-4EBF-A7D1-EDD233771943_zps

Engine casing still to be painted gloss black. Thanks for info Dogsbody. 

And finally a cheeky pic of pic of a side project

51272520-93A1-4DE3-BA60-ACC5CEE7C786_zps

Edited by Hockeyboy76
  • Like 1