Germany requests F-35 data

Slater

3 hours ago, Phil32 said:

Or Turkeys share. That neck of the woods has become a tad unstable lately.

Agreed - but at least they're still buying, so they're paying their own way. 

• 2 weeks later...

Germany has the money and form to design the best 6th generation fighter, something really special, and it would be good for the west, deep in the German armed forces is the desire to be king of the castle again, and maybe give us a kick up the proverbial, to start something special 😊

50 minutes ago, Slater said:

With the UK and Italy already invested in the F35, a "Tornado II" project is probably not in the cards.

After the German Parliaments shilly shallying over the Typhoon time scale last time round costing us a few bob I would by tying up any joint build contract with them in the future with draconian time performance penalties if getting into a future Tornado/Typhoon the sequel.

• Like 1

The fact that UAS/RPV/Whatever-this-weeks-acronym is are taking much longer to turn into effective combat systems than many forecast (Not withstanding any US black projects), Germany needs to be able to evaluate it's options for a Tornado replacement (Manned, UAS or F35). The UK and France are pursuing unmanned systems, so any manned project would need another partner. F-35 is the 'safe' option as development has already been done so can get into service quickly, then have a reasonable timescale to get an unmanned solution into play (Possible partner with UK and France on a pan-European one, perhaps less likely post-Brexit)

On 30/05/2017 at 11:56 PM, Gerrardandrews said:

Germany has the money and form to design the best 6th generation fighter, something really special, and it would be good for the west, deep in the German armed forces is the desire to be king of the castle again, and maybe give us a kick up the proverbial, to start something special 😊

I don't think they do have the "form". What was the last 100% German combat aircraft? The He-162?

9 hours ago, magwitch said:

I don't think they do have the "form". What was the last 100% German combat aircraft? The He-162?

VAK 191? (Thinks - Fiat had some input into that one)

Edited by Dave Fleming
  • Like 1

Any discussion about German aircraft has to put them in the lead, the He 162 was start to finish time of 6 months, no other nation would come close, and apparently not to bad a aircraft.

Germany would, and probably have got something tasty about, end of WW1 Fokker 7 end of WW2, Me 262, both types better than anything we had.

so given a free hand, they would be world leaders, even on a bad day.

example, their cars make ours look rubbish, as shown on F1 tracks and other motor sports.

The, Form, is very good, Typhoon as good bit of their input, and put one their pilots in to one, Well the form speaks for it's self, 352, is never going to be bettered 😊

Given adequate budget and governmental support, I agree that Germany could come up with some world-beating designs. Of course, money and political will...

Just a nit-pick, but didn't the Mustang have an impressively short development cycle?

Edited by Slater