1/32 Hasegawa Bf 109G-2 (Finished)

Well i have cleared the bench for a start in the group build.

This kit contains some sprues from the newer F release, including wheels and improved spinner.

34569039502_bf754b5dfd_b.jpg

This will be my first attempt at a 1/32 scale kit, and should ( if all goes okay) be my first build with ( included ) pilot on board.

I may even pose it with landing gear up (on a pole), but intend to keep it mostly free from aftermarket.

I like the Finnish options, though I'm not sure about the decal quality.

It will be built as an aircraft serving with JG5, maybe 109G-2/R-6, yellow 10  W.Nr 14800 used by Ofw Fw Hans Dobrich

A small start was made, but the pilot needs to pull himself together if we are to have any chance of success.

So big compared to a 1/72 E-4 wing.

34346393350_73b6992f4e_b.jpg

• Like 4

I too am building one of the Hasegawa 1/32 109's and its proving much more fun than the newer Revell kit . I cant think of one problem to warn you about .

have fun

Alistair

2 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

I like the Finnish options, though I'm not sure about the decal quality. It will be built as an aircraft serving with JG5, maybe 109G-2/R-6, yellow 10  W.Nr 14800 used by Ofw Fw Hans Dobrich.

Welcome! One minor comment; A JG5 plane is not a Finnish option, but a flown and fought in Finland German option. I like your choice a lot anyway! Best regards, V-P

18 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

Welcome! One minor comment; A JG5 plane is not a Finnish option, but a flown and fought in Finland German option. I like your choice a lot anyway! Best regards, V-P

Hey V-P,

Surely to think that Jagdgeschwader 5 was a component of the Ilmavoimat would require more than "minor comment" (especially from a Finn hosting a Messerschmitt group build).:thumbsup:

I perhaps should have put a space between those two sentences.

My comment regarding Finnish options, was about the kit supplied decals. These appear to be thick, matt with glossy sections, and the grey background style has a green hue.

I am most interested in the Arctic theatre air war and the creation of JG5 as the Luftwaffe fighter component.

Thus JG5 aircraft make up a high percentage of my builds.

The relationship between all combatants in that theatre is very interesting (and overlooked), but something I am keen to learn more about.

kind regards

Wayne 

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 8:30 PM, Mottlemaster said:

I too am building one of the Hasegawa 1/32 109's and its proving much more fun than the newer Revell kit . I cant think of one problem to warn you about .

have fun

Alistair

Glad to hear that.

I have a few 1/32 109 kits, including Revell G-6 and G-10, and Trumpeter G-2.

I chose this one as my first 1/32 build as i figured (hoped) it would be the least troublesome.

cheers

Wayne

10 hours ago, wayne 0 said:

I am most interested in the Arctic theatre air war and the creation of JG5 as the Luftwaffe fighter component.

Thus JG5 aircraft make up a high percentage of my builds.

The relationship between all combatants in that theatre is very interesting (and overlooked), but something I am keen to learn more about.

kind regards

Wayne 

Fortunately, as I'm not very good in German, the memoires of Walter Schuck and Günther Scholz (his name out of my memory...) are translated and published in Finnish. I just received an email from that publisher announcing one of Ritterkreuzträger, Oblt Döbrich from JG5, to be out in a few weeks. I have a Kuivalainen decal set for six JG5 Emils... But 0 Emils in my modest stash! V-P

I have the memoirs of Schuck and Scholz along with a few other books relating to the Eismeer front operations.

I wonder if the book of Ritterkreuzträger, Oblt Döbrich will ever be released in English.

3 hours ago, vppelt68 said:

I have a Kuivalainen decal set for six JG5 Emils... But 0 Emils in my modest stash! V-P

Something you may need to fix :smile:

• Like 1

Decals arrived in the post today.

This is the planned scheme.

34800679882_915f6d12ba_c.jpg

My intention was to have the pilot on board and the gear up.

I am not so sure about the legs up plan now, as the undercarriage will require a bit of work to get it flush and I don't want to have a blurred prop.

So at this stage it will be pilot inside a closed canopy, keeping the lines a bit cleaner, and requiring less work in the cockpit.

I gave Hans a lick of paint after sanding his pointy nose and chin to a more rounded shape.

I overdid it a little.

Pics show up detail/imperfections that don't appear too bad to the naked eye (much less when under a canopy, I hope).

34577361460_877c408cd5_c.jpg

More paint and some wash (attempt at) to be added to cockpit yet.

Pilot obscures a lot, so will not add extra detail.

Will close it all up to see if any obvious omissions need adding.

34964607495_8fe48f9af0_c.jpg

• Like 5

Cockpit is looking great. Your pilot just has a rugged determined look. Believe me, you did far better a job painting him than I ever could. 

Added a few scratch built bits to the cockpit.

35025875266_2e9abf1a5b_c.jpg

Belts are from Trumpeters 109G-2 trop kit, and are listed in the instructions as not used.

The accuracy is questionable, but will do.

The rudder pedal straps and a couple of levers were made from styrene.

Should be enough with closed canopy.

The pilot is sad because he will not be on board.

He will overlook proceedings from here.

34901644452_e6ca590849_c.jpg

Control panel decal was used after painting attempt went poorly.

Decal took about 4 doses of Micro Sol, and required cutting with blade between dials to get some bedding.

Covered with floor polish.

34254978793_9a9917a9bf_c.jpg

Keen to start buttoning up.

• Like 3

The Hasegawa kit, though marketed as a G-2, has a few non G-2 features.

The G-2 tail wheel was retractable so the G-6 tail had to be opened up.

35205716206_384b430a23_b.jpg

The kit tail wheel is of the covered fixed type with a fatter tyre. No good !!!!

I got a suitable candidate from a F-4B kit that had two tail wheels.

The kit also has the main wheel wells (found on the G-3 onwards) with the indent for the slightly larger wheels.

I have filled them with putty and the results are sure to be poor, but they can now be called G-2 wells.

Some detail "created" for tail wheel cavity.

Instrument panel got painted buttons.

34858765970_0fac9b3ff5_b.jpg

Fuselage glued.

Some hatches have received a little putty. More to research and do.

Upper gun cowl (F-4 type) doesn't fit without chopping bits off what i assume is the gun mount for G-6 version.

35246011105_b66f4c1133_b.jpg

Edited by wayne 0
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...

Have not had much time at the work bench recently, and have been a bit slack in posting what I have done.

Wings on, gun barrels hollowed a little.

35893310946_6c989c9aae_b.jpg

Gun trough panel painted, then guns installed, before being glued in place.

Work then commenced on removal of false panel line.

35094306494_ea1b332d66_b.jpg

Control surfaces added, in a neutral position to preserve the clean lines.

Quick coat of Gunze Aqueous RLM79.

Removed the Trop umbrella holder bumps.

35802123981_088283c609_b.jpg

Gunze RLM04 theatre markings applied.

35802108121_2275559ef5_b.jpg

Gunze RLM78 for the belly, after a little pre shading.

I seem to always lose the pre shaded effect though.

35802117911_e865c7f5df_b.jpg

I used MIG washable white, then rubbed spots back to the RLM79 with a water soaked cotton bud.

More white (heavily thinned Tamiya ) will be used later to touch up areas.

Gunze RLM70 was then applied with assistance of Blu Tak (poster putty).

More work yet to do on the disruptive pattern.

35802103051_bbdb326234_b.jpg

35893273636_d95a6e9e10_b.jpg

Once I am happy with the paint i can clear coat and decal.

Edited by wayne 0
missed a bit
  • Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Whoaaa !!

Look at the date.

I  have managed to put a bit of time in, as I am determined to finish this in the allotted GB period.

Some parts have been painted and/or assembled, and the G-2 was given a couple of coats of floor polish.

The major decals were added.

As this kit was for a Finnish 109, the upper and lower wing Balkenkreuz were taken from a Trumpeter G-2.

The fuselage ones didn't cover the camouflage so I used a couple from a Hasegawa 109F-4, which also provided the Hakenkreuz.

35804830690_ac9ddaf621_b.jpg

Liberal use of Microsol got the Trumpeter and Start decals to settle, but the thick Hasegawa decals would not even slightly sink into the panel lines.

I resorted (with some trepidation) to trying Tamiya X20-A thinner.

This worked better, though I resorted to using a cocktail stick to push the decal into the lines.

35804827050_5d186c19c3_b.jpg

I will never use large Hasegawa decals again if I don't have to.

Stuck some braces in the top corners of the foraward canopy and have glued it on with white canopy glue.

35392268623_fcbd8835c6_b.jpg 

Made a canopy release lever, stuck it inside the main section, and have since glued all the canopy on.

Have put a little floor polish over the decals.

• Like 3

Some weathering attempted with Tamiya Panel Line Accent Color. (first time used).

Matt coat sprayed using same floor polish with some Tamiya X-21 flat base.

Then hung to dry using the handy jack holes.

35914317890_fa642b9f45_b.jpg

Exhaust (Quickboost), prop and spinner, and some undercarriage components painted and fitted.

Used bare metal foil on the oleo (not visible in pic).

36174067671_5182ea6f43_b.jpg

Had great drama trying to fit the port and starboard navigation lights, with the loss of one to (it would seem) another realm.

I had failed to align / prep the wing tips as well as they perhaps should be, so as a result, the clear nav light covers did not fit well.

I decided to use a knife to remove (tidy up) the offending area, and make my own nav lights using clear sprue with clear coloured paint in small drilled holes.

The sanding back of these will take a lot of time and patience, but is simple enough.

36174062851_ec2076646e_b.jpg

• Like 1

It just occurred to me that the Start Decal profile for 109G-2 Yellow 10 Wr14800, may be what anyone following this build believes I am attempting to replicate.

Not so !

My inspiration for this build and some future builds comes from :

Luftwaffe Fighters and Fighter‑Bombers Over the Far North: Units, Camouflage, Markings, 1940-1945
 by Andreas Brekken and Kjetil Åkra

It was the profiles in this book, along with some interesting speculation regarding the RLM 78/79 trop schemes that made me want to have a go at this.....
36284300406_5dba10a22d_o.jpg
2_88.jpg

Navigation lights sanded down and undercarriage glued in.
36159769442_a24ebe2e75_b.jpg

Scrambling to get it done.

• Like 2

Thanks Max.

While artists profiles "can" provide a well detailed (and researched) rendition of the real thing, they are obviously "best guess" when it comes to the sides and angles not shown in photos.

The more I research my model subjects, the more I realise things like colour and pattern of camouflage are not always a sure thing.

This has a habit of messing with my head and potentially excluding many options, but I decided on this build to not worry so much.

Having said that I am hopeful that the paint looks a "little" more  like the Kjetil profile than the decal supplied profile.

Landing gear finished.

Gun barrels fitted.

A bit more weathering done.

Pitot, balancers and antennae to go.

Ha.....I've just fixed my pitot tube, aileron balances and antenna ready for detail painting tomorrow.  Then just the aerial wire/insulators and hood strap to go....woohoo!!

Totally agree about profiles, "experts" and research.  I've been researching aspects of Bomber Command for 12 years now and one thing that I've learned is to never believe at first glance "reliable" sources, even those considered as unimpeachable as the Commonwealth War Graves Commission.....they make mistakes and I can prove several.  Cross-checking is essential and sometimes a best guess is the only answer when all sources are exhausted.

Max

Well...pretty much calling this done.

Perhaps just some last minute touch ups (hopefully without breaking bits), then some outdoor pics, weather permitting.

I had pushed on in an attempt to make the deadline, and glad I will.

Also happy to see an extra week added to get a few more across the line.

I have managed to try a few new (to me) techniques on this build and more importantly, discovered ways to improve future builds (from other participants great work, and my errors or less than ideal approach).

Thanks heaps to vppelt68 and Enzo Matrix for hosting this group build and AZ for getting on board with some goodies.

35573681773_4d12444040_b.jpg

Next pics in gallery.

Wayne

Edited by wayne 0
missed a bit
  • Like 2

Thanks Max.

I initially restricted myself to 1/72nd scale as the available options and space requirements seemed favourable.

I then decided (as a one off) to purchase the Revell 109G-6 when it was released.

As the 109 is my favourite WW2 aircraft, I decided to only have 109's in 1/32, and I now have about 6 assorted 1/32 109's and a Lysander (too cheap to pass up) in this scale.

(Of coarse I love 262's, 190's, Macchis, Reggianes, a Tamiya Spitfire VIII or Zero would be sweet.)

The presence of this scale is very appealing, but space, and a desire to do the big kits some justice, will most likely limit the amount I do.

Edited by wayne 0
spelling error