Brush Painting Model Air

Marvel Onkey

How well does Vallejo Model Air brush paint?

I have it in my head that it is formulated for airbrushing but does that mean it is sort of pre-thinned and does that give it a consistency anything like their regular acrylic with a  dollop of flow improver added?

Ho MO

Yes it's prethinned for use in airbrushes. I wouldn't use it for brush painting - I've never tried though. I don't think it would be like Modelcolor with some flow improver added and would have quite different painting charateristics.

Only my opinion though.

Will.

On 5/18/2017 at 6:27 AM, Marvel Onkey said:

consistency anything like their regular acrylic with a  dollop of flow improver added?

Pretty much.

I’ve used it straight out of the bottle for brush painting with no problem.

Mind you, that was only for small areas in cockpits and whatnot.

I usually thin acrylics down with water/thinner before brush painting to avoid brush marks. So it’s kind of a win-win using ModelAir as far as I’m concerned.;)

Mart

That's what I was wondering- Britmodeller has taught me to thin my paint right down to limit brush marks and get it sort if self-levelling- I aim for about three thin coats on average, building up to decent coverage; hence my wondering whether to buy some pre-thinned.

Next time I need some paint maybe I'll give model air a go then...Mind you, I thin my paint down so much it lasts ages!

• 2 weeks later...
On 18/05/2017 at 06:27, Marvel Onkey said:

How well does Vallejo Model Air brush paint?

I have it in my head that it is formulated for airbrushing but does that mean it is sort of pre-thinned and does that give it a consistency anything like their regular acrylic with a  dollop of flow improver added?

Depends Marvel on what you are brushing and how large an area. The difference between Model and Model Air is basically the ingredients are

ground to a finer consistency than Model plus thinned to enable the paint to go through an airbrush.

It does not have the body, depth, that Model has. It has some great uses as it allows the underlying colour to look through ie slightly transparent.

It will in the palate dry slower than Model. Flow Improver is to enable the paint to go through the needle nozzle with out clogging. You do not

need that for handbrushing. better off if the paint is going off to quickly using a retarder.

You are for larger surfaces better off using an airbrush as the paint is thin and does not clog up panel lines and detail. But for small work painting

figures and where small detail cannot be airbrushed then Model Air is first class. Just painted pilots with desert uniforms beige with streaks of

darker fawn. After 24 hours I applied with a brush Vallejo thinner which with manipulation melted the outsides of the darker fawn making it more

authentic.

Laurie

• 3 years later...

thanks a lot Laurie for the quick reply. Yes the link help much but unfortunately due to eyes-issue i am facing i cannot distinguish very easy colours hence why i am usually searching for colour codes. Nevertheless the link you provided will help a lot. Thanks! 🙂

1 hour ago, dimimate said:

thanks a lot Laurie for the quick reply. Yes the link help much but unfortunately due to eyes-issue i am facing i cannot distinguish very easy colours hence why i am usually searching for colour codes. Nevertheless the link you provided will help a lot. Thanks! 🙂

Oh OK i will try tomorrow to sought out some colours for you Hang in there

Having problems with eyes myself. Optician visit earlier this week to book a m operation. Got a cataract on one eye 7 eye sight is about 25%. Also the other one although not bad also has to be seen to.

Be back.

Laurie