Armstrong Whitworth F.K. 8 MID - Copper State

Thanks to the CSM team I have a huge pleasure of building the brand new F.K. 8 kits. I must admit that the number, as well as the quality of details,  is breathtaking and if the fit as good as in the case of the Caudron model I`m expecting a pure joy. The decals have been designed by Melius Manu - you may probably know them since they produce high-quality custom made decals - and printed by Cartograf. There are two sheets - the main one with cockades etc. and a tiny one with an absolutely gorgeous prop logo and a nameplate (printed using metallic colours). The prop logos are pieces of art in my opinion! What`s more in the premium edition you get a resin Beardmore engine and superb metal exhausts. Both kits represent different versions of the plane: Mid and Late. The most visible difference between them are the huge radiators and Oleo undercarriage in Mid version. The nose in the model is designed as PE - so taking engine covers is super simple. Due to its complicated nature there are spares in brass PE sheet!!! In total there are three separate sheets of the PE!
The wire fittings are there (yeah!) The instruction sheet is very clear and printed in colour. I think the most colourful schemes are already in both kits, so I`ll have a problem with choosing which one I want to build  ;)

The overall quality of the kit seems superb so it`s high time to build both of them right away  ;)

An inbox contents:

Xepr4xw.jpg

XhxeP9F.jpg

ovfvQFS.jpg

mmJZBNo.jpg

gjmrypl.jpg

QTNnGiU.jpg

2vjr0Ct.jpg

qL5HJPH.jpg

epNYvFq.jpg

Edited by Xmald
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Time has NOT been on my side lately.
The kit comes together brilliantly, the fit is so good that parts stick together without glue. WnW builders are probably used to that but for me, it`s something totally new.
Here`s the part of the cockpits. Some more to come in no time (at least I hope so  ;)

ALkidvx.jpg

SdfiEfG.jpg

ViV5iKB.jpg

FSfZtaD.jpg

Edited by Xmald
Bucket...
  • Like 4

That is just a thing of beauty...which is an interesting choice of words for an aircraft that wasn't exactly brimming in the looks department.

When I look at kits like this, I wonder what could be done with a series on, say, the Schneider Trophy racers.  Hint HINT!!! :)

Thanks for your kind words!

Here`s another update. I`ve done the absolutely superb instrument panel and the seat. I`ve also added some control wires. The instrument panel decals are the best ones I`ve had the pleasure to use so far. They fit like a charm and they are almost readable. MeliusManu has done a great job here. The kit is a true joy to build so far and I don`t expect it to change.

VAgsavK.jpg

wzQWOlk.jpg

UmoQB6G.jpg

tt6c30i.jpg

• Like 3

Many thanks, Courageous!
In the meanwhile, I`m working on the Beardmore 160HP resin engine. I think it`s very nice with all the details like the spark plugs and the PE rocker arms.
The plastic one is also very decent. There is one thing that made my heart beat faster with joy - the little nameplate decal printed on a separate sheet - I think because there are some metallic colours used.
The engine in the pictures is built OOB with an extensive weathering. Now, I`m planning to add some wires, pipes and an oil tank - which will be similar to the Beardmore used with the FE2B flying replica. I use the pictures of the latter taken by Jamo_kiwi.
What do you think - may I use them and apply an analogy to the F.K.?
It`s important because I want to leave some of the cowling off to show the engine.
The resin Beardmore is great but pictures show a lot of spots, where I need to do touch ups.

QjfjHv2.jpg

T6hh0EH.jpg

POTgiPa.jpg

• Like 2

On 7.07.2017 at 19:55, TallBlondJohn said:

Uuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh...

On 7.07.2017 at 19:55, TallBlondJohn said:

Uuuuuuuugggggggghhhhhhhhhhh...

If you think that the CSM is planning to release Schneider Trophy planes you might be disappointed ;)

Maybe Sopwith Schneider but frankly speaking I haven`t heard anything about that...

This kit is really superb - everything comes together nicely and almost without putty. I`ve started to add plumbing and wiring to the Beardmore. The right side is almost done, now I need to work on the right side.

vLiieki.jpg

NIo9I1J.jpg

69yChjF.jpg

Hf22crx.jpg

• Like 5

Another small update - I`ve scratched the oil tank since there are no pictures of the port of the engine bay of F.K.8 (at least to my knowledge) I had to figure things out on my own.

WMrl6bg.jpg

0Aq4hYM.jpg

• Like 4

Thanks, Darby! I use my leave as constructively as I can... Another small but important update. I`ve managed to prepare the cowling elements for the paint job. I must admit the nose cowling is time-consuming but well rewarding at the end. I simply love the AW logos. Again everything falls into its place. Just notice the small nuts in one part of the side cowling and the holes to accept them in the other. WOW!

FuA4sBN.jpg

mkqwdVK.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

This model is a true joy to build and it`s quite biggish  ;) I`ve glued the cowling, leaving the top off to show the engine. I`ve painted it with my mixture of Tamiya`s Olive Drab (PC 10) and Ocean Grey (Battleship Grey). There`s also some shading which might not be visible in the pictures. Now the extremely pleasant moment lies ahead - putting it all together.

3ykpe6I.jpg

LsFpiKD.jpg

Ir1VzHF.jpg

KcjdCby.jpg

jcnKXVy.jpg

• Like 1

My progress is relatively bigger than usual because the kit is great! I put the Cartograf`s decals as it is easy to guess their quality is superb. I`ve chosen the most colourful scheme (and the most popular one ;) ) The struts fittings are in place along with some other details. I`ve weathered the bottom of both wings. The weathering appears exaggerated in the pictures, in reality, it`s very subtle. Now I`m going to weather the PC10 covered surfaces along with the cowling.

oG9nX0n.jpg

suWsHV9.jpg

W5TIPr9.jpg

icD8B7P.jpg

• Like 5

I`ve cut the ailerons to make them look as separate surfaces. I`ve scratched the Rotherham pump and made most of the rigging. Gee, you can see how much is to be corrected in the pics...
I really like the wheels decals - they`re very well designed. I`ve also painted the Cooper bombs.
Not much work left till she`s finished.
I really fell in love with the Big Ack.

HPgPZfY.jpg

PU025bY.jpg

PUgs8US.jpg

TcXnpCv.jpg

• Like 8

That looks like a fantastic kit and you're doing a great job with it so far. I might have to pick one upas I've lays liked the Big Ack and started to screatch build one a few years ago. Now I don't need to.

Thanks for sharing. 

Mark