HR Nieuport 10 1/72

Hi All,

Bit late for parade but there should be plenty of time. According to the WSDF 68 the 10 was built under licence by Dux, in Moscow, and a company from St Petersburg with a very long name which I think can be shortened to the Lebedev Co. I'm going to build a two seater with Imperial markings. The Russians seem to have up-rated the basic design from the original 80hp Le Rhone engines and installed 110-120hp Le Rhones and 100hp Gnome Monosoupape rotaries in some aircraft. Main visual difference seems to be a different cowling. Haven't decided which yet.

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Martin.

Got started and the cockpit is first. Comprises two seats, a column and rudder bar. When dry and painted it is dropped into the fuselage which I joined together  first rather than the usual one side only. Made it easier to centre I thought. There is a nice fuel tank and I have scratched a camera from sprue and rod and cut three round pieces of sprue toast as Lewis magazines which will be attached to the side of the cockpit. The kit is made along Roden lines with three separate bonnets/upper deckings. The shortest is for the two seaters, the longest for a single seater flown from the rear seat but there is another which extends the nose by two feet and is painted silver in the photos. Although not shown in the instructions there are two pieces designed to lengthen the nose sides to match this upper bonnet. To date I cannot find a Nieuport that has a fuselage such as this, circa 25feet long. Any guesses to what HR have in mind?

Engine added and top wing joined together.

PICT0014_zpsmf2fjunc.jpg

PICT0016_zpskhrnzxqt.jpg

PICT0019_zpsiyekswfm.jpg

PICT0020_zpsvf16hkzd.jpg

Regards, Steve

Edited by stevehed
  • Like 2

I'm watching this with interest Steve.

I have the HR Avia B 534 and I'm really impressed. This manufacturer needs a better publicity agent!

I had wondered what the WW1 kits were like. Is the fit of the parts good?

Great progress, it's going together quickly.

:popcorn: 

Best regards

TonyT

Thanks Guys.  So far everything is fitting well. The fuselage join is almost perfect. I've used a tiny bit of filler along the starboard join of the upper decking. I've added the roundels to the wings and the transfers were no problem at all. Impressed to date. Got the Phoenix C.I as well and it looks good in the box but haven't gone any farther with it. I've read that the Sopwith Pup is a tremendous improvement over the old Airfix kit too. But they are pricey. I waited for my birthday and Hannant's temporary sale.

Regards, Steve

• 3 weeks later...

Been on hold for a while. Two reasons, the first while I concentrated on finishing my De Havilland entry but the second had the greatest effect. I had positioned the lower wings. These have a guide pin and the locating hole was widened a touch. All went well and the wings were a good fit. Until I dropped it and the wings both went separate ways. Not very thick I struggled to drill a hole to locate a new pin so I gave up before I melted the plastic. Now with the worktop clear I came up with this Heath Robinson set up. First add the top wing onto the fixed cabanes, let set and add the interplane. When almost set position the lower wing with glue on the butt end. The support is blue tak with plastic card on either end to prevent sticking. So far so good.

PICT0053_zpshhkpymnm.jpg

Regards, Steve

• Like 1

Thanks Peter. Other wing went on same way and I added a windscreen before the top wing was fixed. However I forgot to locate the extra cabane struts that are between the pilot and observer. The kit supplies a U shaped part which looks like the later rear support. This replaced the earlier V struts and made it easier for the crew to enter the cockpit. There is no indication within the instructions to the additional cabanes which I gleaned from the WSDF. But judging from the photos in the DF it looks that Russian aircraft were all built with V struts and this is what I added. I decided to use the U part as the rear gun ring. When everything was set the undercarriage was next. I couldn't get the legs to lie correctly with the kit axle. I tried reshaping it a little but in the end I replaced it with a piece of plastic rod. Not as nice but it kept me sane. Remaining tasks relate to the wheels and armament.

PICT0057_zpsybsrjpwc.jpg

Regards,

Steve

Have finished today and will post the final photos in the Gallery. This has proved to be a very nice build with few fit issues. Judging by the left over parts I'm wondering if a Nieuport 12 will be offered later. As for the basic kit the ready fixed cabanes will appeal to many although I still think Matchbox had the right idea. It's fair to say that the instructions require a bit of thought, more so regarding the two seat version, but it is still a decent build.

Regards Steve

Congratulation for finishing the model :clap2: Why not add a picture of the finished model here as well? Just so in case someone gets to your build through a Google search, the finished model can be sen as well.

Cheers, Peter