Airfix Lancaster bomber to Manchester bomber

Horatio Gruntfuttock wrote

Posted yesterday at 12:45 AM · Report post

Two lovely clean builds there and I do like the scenes you have set them in. Now, given your background, we need a Manchester as well!

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

This is an Airfix lancaster kit converted to a Manchester some time ago. The wings were reduced from the original kit wings as were the tail-planes and rudders.

The Vulture engines were entirely scratch built (still require suitable cowling for the tops of). 

It was a case of while you are building one, why not two ?? . . . .three ??

QL-Q Queenie of 83 squadron Mk. 1

34588864811_d876ea3888_z.jpg

34679681546_0a4a60a466_z.jpg

34335413360_a0c0328347_z.jpg

A-Able  & M-Mother of 207 Squadron Mk. 1 & Mk. 1a

34335414200_86d6a5e92b_z.jpg

34588864751_dac93a404d_z.jpg

34335414590_53f7d2d1ff_z.jpg

True to the facts, because there was real concern about the Vulture engines there was a Spec. issued for a replacement engine powerplant and the Napier was suggested.

As part of a 'WHIF' build I produced a twin engined Manchester with Merlins !!  . . .

34679682646_7deed268bf_z.jpg

34335413530_4b179d6712_z.jpg

• Like 45

Truly lovely.  It's a pity the Manchester is perhaps a bit overlooked in model form. I think a cottage industry conversion set in both 1/72 and 1/48 would do reasonably well.

However your models are great to see.

Is this a dry run for a 1/32 conversion once HK Models get their Lanc into production? 😁

• Like 3

You've certainly got a way with these Avro beauties. All are stunning models in their own rite, but your thoughtful photography really sets them off a treat.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, JohnT said:

Truly lovely.  It's a pity the Manchester is perhaps a bit overlooked in model form. I think a cottage industry conversion set in both 1/72 and 1/48 would do reasonably well.

However your models are great to see.

Is this a dry run for a 1/32 conversion once HK Models get their Lanc into production? 😁

Is there on planned? Hehe, might as well finish mine asap then.:idea:

• Like 1

A fantastic Manchester, diorama and photography! It would be really useful to know how you have set up such a realistic looking airfield scene i.e. the diorama base you have used and the background photo.

Mark

• Like 1

On 5/18/2017 at 9:50 PM, canberraman said:

A fantastic Manchester, diorama and photography! It would be really useful to know how you have set up such a realistic looking airfield scene i.e. the diorama base you have used and the background photo.

Mark

Hi Mark

If you trawl down this page you will see the method I employ to take the photos . . . .

Hope this helps

Ian

I have just posted some photos in the WIP section, rather than here, showing the 3 main elements of conversion which I hope some of you may find of interest  . . .

23 hours ago, woody37 said:

Just noticed the rear turret, did you make your own or did you get it from another kit?

Woody  I vac formed my own for the early Manchesters but for the WHIF with Merlin engines, I used the kit turret as I thought that the later FN turret might have been installed on this 'new' aircraft

Thanks to one and all for your generous comments

all appreciated.

Ian

Edited by Mancunian airman
  • Like 1

Superb looking collection of Manchesters.  Your photography is brilliant.  I also think you've really nailed the Night finish, which looks very authentic.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Mancunian airman said:

Woody  I vac formed my own for the early Manchesters but for the WHIF with Merlin engines, I used the kit turret as I thought that the later FN turret might have been installed on this 'new' aircraft

Thanks to one and all for your generous comments

all appreciated.

Ian

It certainly looks the part :)

• Like 1