Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

Ingo Degenhardt

Question Harrier Gr.1/3

Recommended Posts

Hi all,

 

I am about to start the Airfix 1/72 Harriers GR.1 and Gr.3. Both have this strenghening plate on the fuselage sides which I can't find on any pictures in my reference books - but then again, this area is almost always in dark shadows.

Does anyone know if all Gr.1/3 Harriers had those or only certain aircraft. I am in doubt wether do leave them or to sand them off.

picture see below.

RIMG0052harrier_zpsa945sbkk.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

It might be a case of the old modeller's adage of checking your references as the strengthening plate is visible on all of the pictures of that area of the fuselage shown in the walkaround  section: Harrier Walk Around however as these are all pictures of retired rather than in-service aircraft if may be a case that the plate was added during the aircraft's life.

 

Hope this helps !

Edited by Richard E

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yes.....carefully going through my Harrier-books and paperbacks, finding nothing.....and forgetting about the walkaround-section.:banghead:

Thanks to both of you.

Remains the question wether this was a production feature or an add-on.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

Yes.....carefully going through my Harrier-books and paperbacks, finding nothing.....and forgetting about the walkaround-section.:banghead:

Thanks to both of you.

Remains the question wether this was a production feature or an add-on.

 

I'll offer the suggestion that it was an add on as I don't remember seeing the panel on any of the Italeri/Esci Harriers that I've built; Esci probably took their measurements from an in service aircraft whereas Airfix presumably used a preserved example.

 

I'm not sure whether it helps but it looks like the panel isn't fitted to the Harrier that's on display at Duxford:

 

ImageD3.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

 

I'll offer the suggestion that it was an add on as I don't remember seeing the panel on any of the Italeri/Esci Harriers that I've built; Esci probably took their measurements from an in service aircraft whereas Airfix presumably used a preserved example.

 

I'm not sure whether it helps but it looks like the panel isn't fitted to the Harrier that's on display at Duxford:

 

ImageD3.jpg

IIRC That panel was a known weak spot for cracks and was an area that because of this was checked on turn rounds and A/F's. The distinctive shaped patch was mandated in  the official repair scheme. The last production batch  GR3's I believe had a stronger structure in this area so the patch may not have been seen on that batch.

 

Selwyn

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 minutes ago, Selwyn said:

IIRC That panel was a known weak spot for cracks and was an area that because of this was checked on turn rounds and A/F's. The distinctive shaped patch was mandated in  the official repair scheme. The last production batch  GR3's I believe had a stronger structure in this area so the patch may not have been seen on that batch.

 

Selwyn

 

Thanks Selwyn - Duxford's Harrier is XZ133 which was one of the last GR Mk.3s produced so this would make sense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

So I think I will remove them from both kits - GR.1: too early (Airfix kit decals, Wittering 1970) and GR.3 (Airfix kit decals as XZ133, Falklands)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Ingo Degenhardt said:

So I think I will remove them from both kits - GR.1: too early (Airfix kit decals, Wittering 1970) and GR.3 (Airfix kit decals as XZ133, Falklands)

 

It may already be in your "to do" list: XZ133 was one of the aircraft fitted with a "Blue Eric" ECM pod in place of its starboard gunpod and all the GR Mk.3s deployed during Operation Corporate were fitted with an I Band transponder aerial and "bulge" under the LRMTS note and ALE-40 chaff and flare dispensers behind the air brake.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Richard E said:

 

It may already be in your "to do" list: XZ133 was one of the aircraft fitted with a "Blue Eric" ECM pod in place of its starboard gunpod and all the GR Mk.3s deployed during Operation Corporate were fitted with an I Band transponder aerial and "bulge" under the LRMTS note and ALE-40 chaff and flare dispensers behind the air brake.

Yes, I have the Freightdog Blue Eric pod and their corrected fin (height).The bulged nose/aerial and chaff/flare dispensers are kit-provided.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I have to agree with Selwyn, it was an area that was prone to stress....I expect if I thought about long enough and asked a couple of grubbers we could probably work out why....but lifes to short. Not all aircraft had them but certainly a number of Sea Harriers had them.

I f you take a look at the SHAR walkround there is quite a good picture of Aircraft s/n 003 (801 NAS) has one. Granted it  not a stinky dirty Gr .        

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now


×