1:144 RAF VC10 question

Afternoon folks - am I right in thinking that if I want to build the RAF VC10 C.1K XV105 - 101 SQN 90TH ANNIVERSARY - my only option is the Airfix kit? The Roden kits are the Super VC10 if I have got it right?

thanks

chris

You're right about the Airfix kit being the Standard and the Roden kit the Super but you can shorten the Roden kit -http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007215-british-caledonian-vc10-converted-from-roden-kit/

If you decide to go Airfix you might find this article helpful - http://irishscalemodeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16 .  Unfortunately the etched brass set used is out of production but otherwise it's a masterclass.  The finished result is here - http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=7470&n=last#bottom

HTH

Dave G

41 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

You're right about the Airfix kit being the Standard and the Roden kit the Super but you can shorten the Roden kit -http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235007215-british-caledonian-vc10-converted-from-roden-kit/

If you decide to go Airfix you might find this article helpful - http://irishscalemodeller.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=16 .  Unfortunately the etched brass set used is out of production but otherwise it's a masterclass.  The finished result is here - http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=7470&n=last#bottom

HTH

Dave G

Thanks Dave this is really helpful. The overall colour looks to be Barley Grey?

chris 

Braz do a couple of aftermarket resin detailing kits Super engine with stub wing and the wing leading edge extensions you'd need for the Airfix VC10 kit.

Hannants £9.80 each

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4040  engines

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4041 wing l/edge extensions.

You'll still have to make wing fences. maybe remove a couple outboard fences (not sure) ,wing refuelling pods and pylons, under belly camera, refuelling probe, APU exhaust and inlets

The Rodin requires a tricky aft fuselage cut, the underbelly fairings/falsework aft of undercarriage are too big, different shape anyway. If the doors are just decals this won't matter but delete the left PAX door aft of the wing and move it forward of the wing. Rear Freight bay door ..delete the right side, its on the left. Beaver tail is wrong shape for a C.1 (K) Need a main cabin Freight door too and APU exhaust and inlet.

Edited by bzn20
  • Like 1

21 minutes ago, Skyhunter66 said:

chris 

Sorry Chris, can't help you there.  If it was a civil scheme I might have an idea!  If you're planning on using F-DCAL decals their painting instructions are usually quite reliable.

1 minute ago, Skodadriver said:

Sorry Chris, can't help you there.  If it was a civil scheme I might have an idea!  If you're planning on using F-DCAL decals their painting instructions are usually quite reliable.

No problem - in fact you might be able to help me then with the colours for a British Airways (Red Tail) Super VC10! I have the 26decals on order but I don't think they give you the colour call outs.

thanks

24 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Braz do a couple of aftermarket resin detailing kits Super engine with stub wing and the wing leading edge extensions you'd need for the Airfix VC10 kit.

Hannants £9.80 each

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4040  engines

https://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BZ4041 wing l/edge extensions.

You'll still have to make wing fences. maybe remove a couple outboard fences (not sure) ,wing refuelling pods and pylons, under belly camera, refuelling probe, APU exhaust and inlets

The Rodin requires a tricky aft fuselage cut, the underbelly fairings/falsework aft of undercarriage are too big, different shape anyway. If the doors are just decals this won't matter but delete the left PAX door aft of the wing and move it forward of the wing. Rear Freight bay door ..delete the right side, its on the left. Beaver tail is wrong shape for a C.1 (K) Need a main cabin Freight door too and APU exhaust and inlet.

ok this is great - thankyou. I have just been up in the attic on an expedition and found the Airfix VC10 under a pile of stuff so will use that one and get the aftermarket you suggest. 

• Like 1

How good was that? You had one lurking !! Saved a lot of ebay hassle and overpayment.

Back in 1989/90 ish 105 was stuck in Base Hangar, Bay 3 with a stack of corrosion and needed some re skinning, Cat 3 repairs. Then it got a major servicing in Bay 6....Good as new and slightly heavier!

I was on it. I'll be driving past Hannants in about 10 minutes too!

Edited by bzn20

2 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

How good was that? You had one lurking !! Saved a lot of ebay hassle and overpayment.

Back in 1989/90 ish 105 was stuck in Base Hangar, Bay 3 with a stack of corrosion and needed some re skinning, Cat 3 repairs. Then it got a major servicing in Bay 6....Good as new and slightly heavier!

I was on it. I'll be driving past Hannants in about 10 minutes too!

the closest I ever really got to the VC10 was when I was in the ATC sometime in 1982 and we had camp at Brize Norton. We were taken up in one for circuits and bumps with a trainee pilot and one at a time we were allowed on the flight deck! 

The kit I have got is part of a stash i was given a few years back by our wed designer who happened to be the much younger brother of the guy who used to do the intructions for Airfix and who had just retired. He gave me all the kits he had used for design these instructions!

• Like 1

Were there many of your ATC Sqn sick? We seemed to spend the summer cleaning the mess from ATC Locals/Air experience flights.

1 hour ago, Skyhunter66 said:

No problem - in fact you might be able to help me then with the colours for a British Airways (Red Tail) Super VC10! I have the 26decals on order but I don't think they give you the colour call outs.

thanks

By coincidence I am also working on that scheme.  I plan to use Halfords Appliance White decanted and airbrushed and Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue both applied over Halfords Grey Primer. I'll find a suitable red in my paint stash to match the decals.  (Must remember to spray the tailplanes with white primer rather than grey!)  For the wings and engines a generic light grey like Halfords Racking Grey or Holts HL Grey 01 should do the business.  

I stress that's only my way of going at it - other ideas are available!  Have a look at this from the last Airliners Group Build - Turbofan used a mixture of Revell 350 and Humbrol 198 (10:4) for his blue and Revell 330 for the red.  The result speaks for itself.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Skodadriver said:

By coincidence I am also working on that scheme.  I plan to use Halfords Appliance White decanted and airbrushed and Humbrol 15 Midnight Blue both applied over Halfords Grey Primer. I'll find a suitable red in my paint stash to match the decals.  (Must remember to spray the tailplanes with white primer rather than grey!)  For the wings and engines a generic light grey like Halfords Racking Grey or Holts HL Grey 01 should do the business.  

I stress that's only my way of going at it - other ideas are available!  Have a look at this from the last Airliners Group Build - Turbofan used a mixture of Revell 350 and Humbrol 198 (10:4) for his blue and Revell 330 for the red.  The result speaks for itself.

ah - great minds hey! Yes I have this afternoon decanted the Appliance white and done the top so far and was just wondering if Humbrol 15 would be appropriate! I was thinking Dove Grey for the wings but light grey sounds a better bet as you suggest. As far as I can see the underside is grey around the mid section and towards the back??

34 minutes ago, bzn20 said:

Were there many of your ATC Sqn sick? We seemed to spend the summer cleaning the mess from ATC Locals/Air experience flights.

well I don't remember anyone out of our lot being vom monsters - I was way too excited to feel sick!

2 hours ago, Skyhunter66 said:

thanks

The 26decals just quote "Gloss Red" for the top of the tailfin.

Last year when doing my Negus Viscount I used Humbrol 238 (?Red Arrows Red?) to touch up the edges of the tail decals.  On a small area it is hard to see the difference but might be worth a try for the VC10 to see how well a larger area matches the decals.

27 minutes ago, JosephLalor said:

I believe Welsh Models do a Standard with BUA transfers, product code SL232.  As far as I know it's not a vacform.

thanks - yes that looks good and thankfully not vacform as I have no talent for that!

19 minutes ago, FortyEighter said:

Last year when doing my Negus Viscount I used Humbrol 238 (?Red Arrows Red?) to touch up the edges of the tail decals.  On a small area it is hard to see the difference but might be worth a try for the VC10 to see how well a larger area matches the decals.

yes ok good idea - thanks 

1 hour ago, Skyhunter66 said:

ah - great minds hey! Yes I have this afternoon decanted the Appliance white and done the top so far and was just wondering if Humbrol 15 would be appropriate! I was thinking Dove Grey for the wings but light grey sounds a better bet as you suggest. As far as I can see the underside is grey around the mid section and towards the back??

Have a look at my Trident 3 which was in RFI a while back.  I did the wings with Dove Grey and I've always thought they came out fractionally too dark and brownish.  If I was building the model today I'd probably use the Holts Grey I mentioned earlier.

I'm still trying to work out the underside of the VC-10, particularly what was grey and what was natural metal.  Photographers in the 1970s were seriously remiss in not considering the needs of modellers in the 20teens!  It will be a while before I actually have to commit myself.

Every bit of the VC10 was painted as per Vickers spec/ maint manual except...Engine intake nose caps, beaver tails, APU exhaust, couple of instrumentation plates. Aerials white, 2 square ADFs on top of fuse are black, 2 Water Horns are polished NMF. Pitots polished NMF 2 different metals used (originally!) Can't think of anything else !

Never worked, even seen in the flesh the 101  scheme on 105.

PM inbound

3 hours ago, FortyEighter said:

I used Humbrol 19 for the red on my Super VC10 - I painted the top half of the fin instead of using the decal, and used the decal for the diagonal red stripe - didn't seem to be a bad match. I went with Humbrol 15 for the blue but added a couple of drops of gloss black to darken it a touch.

6 hours ago, Skyhunter66 said:

chris 

Just in case there is any confusion on this, the grey RAF VC-10s were in overall BS381C 626 Camouflage Grey with BS381C 629 Dark Camouflage Grey cheatlines and markings. Fin was black on C.1K XV105 with special scheme.

I did get photos of this scheme, but there are better ones on the net.

Welsh Models do a Fuselage for the C1, designed to use the Roden for the rest.  It is Vacform though and the windows and windshields are indented.  Does come a set of markings for a grey and white a/c.  Part no is CV-46

George

• Like 1