MH-53 in compass call camo as one on Ef-111

when i was younger,on italians aviation enthusiast magazines,i'm sure to have seen pictures of the MH-53 helo with the camo in two tone of blue grey as that one seen on  Ef-111 and some Ec-130, but today dotn find pictures of them 

my memory made me joke, or some of you rember the giant helo in that camo?yes,more often they had olive green,3 tones europe one,and some experimental in two tone of red-sand in gulf war 1,but,god,i remember that camo with horizontal lineof separation beetween the lighter grey and the blue grey above at the height of the motor complex

any help appreciated

Do you mean the CH-53E? It's standard camo colors are the blue-greys since the 1990s when it replaced the previous grey/green/black "lizard" camo.

1280px-Ch53e-40-070920-38cr-16.jpg

ch-53e_profile.png

Edited by ziggyfoos
  • Like 1

If you mean the MH-53H/J/M Pave Low , it only wore the Euro 1 scheme then transitioned to overall grey (gunship grey I think) apart from the two tone desert scheme worn temporarily during Desert Storm.

35 minutes ago, italian intruder said:

no i've said Mh-53 and the camo with two tone as that one of Ef-111 ....

Sorry for trying to offer answer. I thought wrongly maybe the two tone blue-grey EF-111 you mentioned maybe was the CH-53E two tone blue-grey that you were thinking of or meant.

Stephen addressed the USAF MH-53 variants, and if you meant the USN MH-53E, they only are overall 36081 grey. 

I do recall seeing a couple of images in a magazine a long time ago of a two-tone grey colour scheme with a straight horizontal demarcation just as you describe but I am almost certain that it was only ever carried at most by a few USMC H-53 for a short time.     I have had an interest in the USAF 'Super Jolly' and Pave Low variants for many years and am quite sure that I would have taken greater note had it involved one of them.

• Like 1

hi there,

JMSDF MH-53Es have light gull grey undersides extending to partway up the sponsons and white tops with a soft demarcation line

Andy

• Like 1

Hi Italian Intruder,

This may not be much help, but back in 2004 the 160th SOAR ( The famous "Nightstalkers") experimented with two or three tone grey schemes on some of their helo's in an attempt to lessen their visibility during daylight ops. A  YMH-47E, a MH-60K and a MH/AH-6 were painted up in a scheme that looked similar to the USMC two tone grey or USAF "Compass Call" schemes used on the EF-111 and EC-130. I think only single examples of each airframe were repainted for the trial.

As far as I am aware, these were the only Special Ops hello's painted in this scheme. It was judged not to be a success and all went back to their standard black. A few AH-64's in "ordinary" US Army units were painted in a similar grey scheme, but again only experimentally.

I am not sure exactly which greys were used by the 160th SOAR, it appears never to have been confirmed, but Werners Wings (who rank amongst the very best experts on the 160th) have made a "best guess" - 

http://www.wernerswings.com/NightStalker2.html

Here are some links to photo's:-

1. YMH-47E 88-0264

http://www.thenorthspin.com/photos_people_dan_s/31.jpg

2. MH-60K 91-26377

http://www.thenorthspin.com/photos_people_dan_s/32.jpg

As far as the Pave Low was concerned, I have never seen any photos of either it, or any other AFSOC helo painted in a "Compass Call" type camouflage. That does not mean it didn't happen; no one knew that a MH-6 "Little Bird" had been repainted in a two tone grey until a single semi-official photo was released several years after the test.

As others have said, Pave Lows appear to have gone straight from "European 1" to the Gunship Grey scheme.

All the best,

M

• Like 1

Hi Italian Intruder,

Are you thinking of the Pave Low prototype - HH53B 66-14433 which had a two tone grey camo ? (probably gunship grey and maybe light ghost grey). I can email you a photo but I will have top scan it from a book first.

Cheers,

Haydn.

hi guys

some data:

-the picture ive saw at end 80's were (if my memory works properly)of at least one MH-53J, probably picture shot in airbase of USAFE as Aviano(north east italy) and /or Alconbury (Uk) or perhaps southern germany

-the camo was in ALL and FOR ALL identical at the one EF-111 RAVEN had: one very light grey and a blue gray (gunship grey,ok)with the demarcaiton line,neither so soft,til soon under the line of the motor complex:but the tones were for  all and at  all those of the EF111

i cant say more,but for god,in my memory tha tpic remained :)

if u all think to the type of weather there's in the north eastern italy (and Aviano afb is few dozens of miles from the  former jugoslav border:forgot the sunny  climate of sicily..  )and in gb/uk (i mean,very continental weather in both areas)the two tone grey of  Ef-111  cmao type even if on a big helo as the Mh-53 ,was not so off site

i mean, at least,if ever appeared, the  concept was good 

• 5 years later...

Is this the MH-53 you were thinking of? This video only has a few shots of the helicopter's exterior but it sounds like the helicopter you are referring to.

It is 66-14433, the Pave Low III prototype pictured in the late 1970's.  I am looking for decent photos of this helicopter in this paint scheme myself.

BM.

On 17/05/2017 at 20:48, Davide Calzolari said:

hi guys

some data:

-the picture ive saw at end 80's were (if my memory works properly)of at least one MH-53J, probably picture shot in airbase of USAFE as Aviano(north east italy) and /or Alconbury (Uk) or perhaps southern germany

-the camo was in ALL and FOR ALL identical at the one EF-111 RAVEN had: one very light grey and a blue gray (gunship grey,ok)with the demarcaiton line,neither so soft,til soon under the line of the motor complex:but the tones were for  all and at  all those of the EF111

i cant say more,but for god,in my memory tha tpic remained :)

if u all think to the type of weather there's in the north eastern italy (and Aviano afb is few dozens of miles from the  former jugoslav border:forgot the sunny  climate of sicily..  )and in gb/uk (i mean,very continental weather in both areas)the two tone grey of  Ef-111  cmao type even if on a big helo as the Mh-53 ,was not so off site

i mean, at least,if ever appeared, the  concept was good 

Like this one?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sikorsky_CH-53E_Super_Stallion#/media/File:A_CH-53E_Super_Stallion_with_the_22nd_Marine_Expeditionary_Unit.jpg

On 5/17/2017 at 12:52 PM, Davide Calzolari said:

when i was younger,on italians aviation enthusiast magazines,i'm sure to have seen pictures of the MH-53 helo with the camo in two tone of blue grey as that one seen on  Ef-111 and some Ec-130, but today dotn find pictures of them 

my memory made me joke, or some of you rember the giant helo in that camo?yes,more often they had olive green,3 tones europe one,and some experimental in two tone of red-sand in gulf war 1,but,god,i remember that camo with horizontal lineof separation beetween the lighter grey and the blue grey above at the height of the motor complex

any help appreciated

It wasnt paint, it was the same colour it was just dirty on the upper surfaces.

Are you sure it was an MH-53 and not an HH-53?

Edited by ElectroSoldier

On 10/12/2022 at 19:39, janneman36 said:

no

tags:

usafE

mh 53 probably

80's

pave low

same camo of ef 111 raven

nuttin to do with maritime ch 53 or similar :)

• Like 1

people, the pic  fo the mh 53 i saw was 100% the same camo of ef 111 raven nuttin to do with usmc sh 60 ch 46 or ah1w or uh1y  in the famous two tone of blue gray-but this one is another camo,different..

perhaps  memory has made me some jokes but in the 80's the camo i say (ef 111,some c130)was enough popular and doesnt seems to me so strange that at least one was paint with the same camo altough be a huge helo

1 hour ago, Davide Calzolari said:

people, the pic  fo the mh 53 i saw was 100% the same camo of ef 111 raven nuttin to do with usmc sh 60 ch 46 or ah1w or uh1y  in the famous two tone of blue gray-but this one is another camo,different..

perhaps  memory has made me some jokes but in the 80's the camo i say (ef 111,some c130)was enough popular and doesnt seems to me so strange that at least one was paint with the same camo altough be a huge helo

Im finding it hard to believe that the scheme as used on the EF-111A and the EC-130E/H was used on an HH-53H or later named MH-53H let alone an MH-53J as it was not a popular scheme at all, it was to my knowledge only ever used on electronic combat aircraft.

Not even the MC-130s  or HC-130s wore that scheme, they had one which was similar but used different colours.

The scheme you are talking about is called "Grey" and used 36320/36492.

Im not 100% sure on this however.
The HH-53C wore two schemes which were similar to the "Grey" scheme and they could have been wearing them after they were upgraded to HH-53H standard (which would put the nose radar and FLIR turret on it), but I personally have no photos of that.

The "Grey" scheme could have been applied as a trial to an aircraft in its early days of upgrade, maybe in Pave Low I or Pave Low II standard.

As far as I am aware the MH-53J wore the Euro 1 then Gunship grey, then for ODS a desert scheme and that was it.

I would be interested to see a photo of it in the "Grey" scheme though.

Edited by ElectroSoldier